Quagmire
Years ago

Bogut to the Rescue for Spirit

Saw on the TV this morning that the Bogie man has come to the rescue of the Spirit, offering up cash (i think they said 30,000) per game to the Spirit.

Players will get half what they would usually recieve but its gotta be better than nothing.

I just wanted to give a huge hats off to Bogut for this. Not only does it show that with all the stuff going on in his life on the other side of the planet, he is still aware of his home and has made good on his past comments about wanting the L to be successful in Australia.

Great stuff Bogut, go Bucks.

Topic #18299 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

+1!

From Bevo:

"Look, Andrew wants to own an NBL team one day, he's said that, but after he's retired. If it's his money that he's got to spend, he wants to be in charge, he wants to be the chairman, the CEO & he wants to be hands on.

"What Andrew has said is he wants to donate some money - just as a goodwill gesture for me and Damo and Matty - but that was, of course, pending if we were able to survive and play out the season. I'm just about to email him and let him know what's happened, and find out what he wants to do, whether that be sponsor a game night or do something else that he can get something out of as well."

Reply #215111 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Bravo......maybe this will get some of the haters off his back.

Reply #215113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great to see, he has actually talked about it a fair bit on his blog. Its work a read, he gives some nice insights it the nba has his opinions.

Reply #215115 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Nice gesture by Bogut, Maybe he can be the 'face' of the NewBL and donate a bit of his salary to the league ;-)

HECS/AIS repayment was a hot topic not long ago could a simlar system work for Aussie hoops/pro league?

Does Yao get his full salary in his pocket?

Reply #215116 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

A great move buy Bogut if Derwin is not ringing every sports editor about this then he is not doing his job

Reply #215118 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

wow that is excellent work by Bogut!

Reply #215120 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Good onya bogut, now can you ask em to change their name back to the west sydney razorbacks, get em to play their games IN western sydney and guarentee their not going to rename themselves the Kings next year.

sorry 4 bein cynical, it's a good news story, go bogut.

Reply #215121 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

well done andrew,i hope some of the old legends of the the nbl get behind the new league,not with money but with support.everyone needs to forget the past and move on (sydney) and get behind the game.

Reply #215123 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Good stuff. Brownie points for Bogey.

Reply #215126 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Good on Bogut although it would've been good to see this happen for the Bullets! (not Eddy- the Bullets players and fans)

Reply #215127 | Report this post

Tickle  
Years ago

Good on the 'Gut. He obviously has some mates on the the Spirit line-up, so it's fantastic that he's come through for them.

The Spirit are a microcosm of the league really - entertaining product, basket case of the court. A stable NBL means a great likelihood of kids taking up the sport and joining Drew in the NBA.

Reply #215128 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

It's only $30k total i believe - which is amazingly generous by itself.

The Spirit only currently are paid for takings from HOME games so this weekend is a road double which = $0.

The next home game is the 21st of Dec so they will get their first REAl payment in over a month, just b4 Xmas.

JR & I interviewed Bevo this week and the emotion we felt from his interview was amazing! He is hugely passionate and is really feeling the pinch at the moment.

check it out at www.johnrillie.com

Reply #215129 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Huge respect for Boges, always have (well, since I heard of the lad). Don't forget, his family footed the bill for his one on one development to get him to where he is now. He'd have every right to be spiteful, but has dug his hand into his pocket to help out.
That to me speaks volumes of the guy, in that he's done the hard yards & is passionate about what got him to where he is today. The Spirit have done wonders since their inception, through hard work & passion. Boges' been there, & STILL wants to contribute.
Absolutely massive. Love the guy. Love his passion, & totally love that he's sympathetic to these harsh times.

Reply #215148 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

fantastic news

Reply #215153 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It's been covered by most papers around the country which is good news.

In regards to the Bullets situation it's tough to find alot of sympathy for them (although there is some) as they were laughing all the way to the bank when they were all getting OVERPAID by under the table deals.

Reply #215157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's another accolade for Bogut: He was named to the
NCAA Mountain West Conference 10TH ANNIVERSARY MEN'S BASKETBALL TEAM

The Mountain West Conference celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2008-09 and has announced its alldecade
men's basketball team as selected by a combined panel of media, institutional and conference personnel and on-line fan poll. In order to be eligible for consideration, candidates must have been a first team all-Mountain West selection at least once in their careers.

PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL YEARS PLAYED IN MWC
Lee Cummard Guard/Forward BYU 2005-Present
Jason Smith Forward Colorado State 2004-07
Ruben Douglas Guard New Mexico 2000-03
Danny Granger Forward New Mexico 2003-05
Brandon Heath Guard San Diego State 2003-07
Wink Adams Guard UNLV 2005-Present 2007-08
Marcus Banks Guard UNLV 2001-03
Andrew Bogut Center Utah 2003-05
Marcus Bailey Forward Wyoming 1999-03
Josh Davis Forward/Center Wyoming 1999-02

Reply #215163 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Bogut just went from nothing to me to an absolute legend.

Reply #215224 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

kman's just scored a brain. Win/win situation.

Reply #215241 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754