Margie
Years ago

Advice on game consoles

I am after some advice on what game consoles any other Hoops people have purchased and/or used, and some feedback on them. I am thinking of purchasing either a Nintendo Wii or an X-Box for my son for his 21st birthday. Can people give me any feedback on which they recommend? I know there is a price difference, but I'm not bothered about that - just want to know which is the best console/games. Thanks.

Topic #18311 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Go the XBOX the Wii is for a younger person or family IMO

Reply #215264 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I love my Wii, but the lack of games annoys me sometimes.

Reply #215265 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I've got the PS3. But at the price of the Xbox atm I'd go for that. Wii is more for family and kids (and alot of elderly seem to enjoy it too haha.

Reply #215269 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Wii if he is not hardcore or if he doesnt enjoys shooters. Basically its a party console casually used. XBOX if he uses it often likes to be into gaming a bit. Personally I had a wii got rid of it because I hated the fact there were no decent games coming out got a 360 and am very satisfied with it.

Reply #215270 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Get the 360 - kills the PS3 on pricepoint. Depending on what games they'll play, you'll probably want the Pro version. Elite version is excessive while the Arcade one doesn't have a harddrive which could be a bit of a limitation if they want to download demos.

Arcade edition will be about $299, Pro about $349, Elite closer to $500. The PS3s are more like $700.

There are Pro deals around with a couple of shoddy kids games for $375ish, but you could keep an eye out for a deal with a better game.

If they like music, Guitar Hero 3 is a winner - you can get a two-guitar deal for $180 at dstore.com.au and then they can move on to World Tour. If they like basketball, NBA 2K9 seems to be the best title in that category.

Reply #215272 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

ps3 (Mod: Bit deleted.)

Reply #215273 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Whatever your choice, go to www.palgn.com.au, they have a bargain round up each week. Lists all the games advertised in catalogues each Thursday morning. Best way to get the best prices.

Reply #215276 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Definately the XBox. Massive scope of games with a decent controller. Wii has novelty value but i could see it getting boring quite quickly. Out of all of the gaming consoles id go the PS3 though infact i purchased one today.

Reply #215278 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

No love for my gamecube?

Reply #215279 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

lol Dicko!!

Like Isaac said Xbox Pro is great value for money @ $350
If your going to look at the Xbox elite than I'd be going the extra step and getting the PS3 blu-ray is a great addition and next year looks to be a big price slash on blu-ray movies. Online gaming for free is another plus on the Ps3 for the hardcore gamers.

Reply #215283 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

The Wii is pretty much done. Apart from the control system, it has pretty much nothing going for it. Their third party software support is not good, there have been stuff all decent Wii games in months.

The 360 is decent value, is able to play media streamed from PC, and being the most mature of the 3 has the biggest games catalogue (though most new games come out on PS3 aswell). if he's into online gaming though, beware that you have to pay for Xbox live gold subscription.

The PS3 I'm not too familiar with, but as I said it shares many of the same games as 360 these days. It's a little more expensive however I quite liked the wireless networking support right out of the box (360 only ships with an Ethernet connection). If you have an LCD or plasma, PS3 will give you slightly better graphics than the 360 versions (usually), and a Blu Ray player is a nice touch (even if the format is a little unnecessary).

Reply #215285 | Report this post

i have a DS with a chip in it. Now i can play snes games and so forth. awesome!

Reply #215290 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3

Reply #215293 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Compelling argument, JoeyKnuckles.

/facepalm

(Mod: Beat me to it!)

Reply #215294 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

What do you guys think about PC gaming?

I'd love to play a lot of the games on the 360, but I think I'd prefer to get a decent laptop, hook it up to the plasma, get a Microsoft controller and play those same games PC version, cos then I can play all sorts of other games I can't get on 360.

Anyone done this? Pros and cons?

Reply #215295 | Report this post

PC gaming is the ultimate. far more expensive though....

So many more games than the consoles

Reply #215296 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Online gaming for free is another plus on the Ps3 for the hardcore gamers."

I've got a PS3 but I'm not set up for online stuff. I didn't know it was free, how do I get it started??? I wanna beat Chinese people at NBA Live :D

Is GTA on xbox yet? If not, go with the PS3.

Reply #215328 | Report this post

Tassie!  
Years ago

lol gta launched on both 360 and ps3 at the same time. 360 has exclusive dlc (downloadable content)coming soon which is very appealing: whole new city and playing through as a diff character.

360 has the better xmas hardware bundle and more of a range of games...but there is no point getting a 360 if you want to play gran turismo or resistance (both exclusive to sony)

so its completely up to you...but i'd look seriously at the 360 for sure! ;)

Reply #215339 | Report this post

Margie  
Years ago

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the excellent advice from everyone. I'll definitely go the X-Box. Thanks again.

Reply #215447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sega Dreamcast for sure

Reply #746726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754