MH
Years ago

Has there been a Rule Change

Anstey gets two techs and remains in the stadium.

Am I missing something?

Stats say that he got the two techs.

Topic #18323 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I was suprised by that as well.

Reply #215396 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Ben Fitz and I were discussing this in the race and got some clarification. This is what we were told:

You can get basically as many personal techs as they just count as personal fouls. Two bench techs and the coach is gone.

The only way to get ejected is if you are charged with 2 unsportsmanlike fouls.

Silly rule, and basically when Horvath and Copeland were ejected it was wrong.

Reply #215397 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

thanks for clearing this up i was wondering the same thing and thought he was just trying the trick the umps at the start of the 3rd and they missed it.

Reply #215404 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Thanks for bringing this up and clearing it up.

I was stunned by it all also.

Reply #215407 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah me too, I thought the second one must have been on Westover.

Reply #215412 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

It was a terrific moment and reaction from the crowd when Anstey was teched and fouled out.

Reply #215414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horvath and Copeland ejections were not wrong.

A player can be ejected after zero Tech's or after 5.

There is no clear cut rule saying that a player has to be ejected after X amount of fouls, but there also is no rule saying a player can't be ejected.

Player ejections are at the discretion of the referee.

Reply #215420 | Report this post

Ace of spades  
Years ago

anyone know wat anstey got his first tech for?

i only saw the second one....

Reply #215423 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

It should be two techs in a row and your out of there. Stops Idiots like Anstey continuing to Abuse the refs

Reply #215435 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Just keep teching him. At 2 FTs a pop hes gunna shut up eventually.

Reply #215438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for the clarification. I was bewildered when Anstey was allowed to return to the court.

Reply #215439 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Thanks from me also as I was wondering why Anstey was not ejected , you can be assured that he would have been told by Westover to pull his head in . I would imagine also that he will be told to think of the team and not himself tomorrow in the office!

Reply #215440 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Interesting, only recently Heal was ejected vs Dragons with 2 technical fouls.

Reply #215444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Anstey had been ejected he would not have been allowed to remain on the playing bench. Ejected means leave the stadium take a shower take no further part of the game. He would had to go sit in the locker room for the rest of the game. So next time you think someone has been ejected see where he is sitting. If the ref in question had ejected him the game would not have resumed till he had left the playing arena. If he remains on the bench he remains part of the game and can resume. DJ as someone said up above refs discretion but I'll ask did Heal actually leave the playing arena or just not re enter court and where were his tech's both on court?

Reply #215449 | Report this post

sixersfan  
Years ago

Hmm, didn't ever think two unsportmanlike fouls was an ejection.

I've been going to the Powerhouse/Dome for a long, long time and have seen my fair share of ejections. To me, two techs has always been an ejection, always. Happens a lot in the NBA that way.

Now, I'm not saying that is stil the rule, may have been changed, but in the past, two techs and you are out of there...

Reply #215458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixerfan it is not a rule that two techs on a player is an ejection.

on a coach yes, but not if they are personal (ie awarded to a player not a blanket bench tech) foul.

it might be that way in the NBA but it is not in the NBL

Reply #215468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the way i got told the rule was that a player can get up to 5 tech fouls just like personal fouls, but they have to all be for different reasons - eg. swearing at ref could be one, throwing elbows two, kicking the ball into crowd three and so on... all without getting ejected

Reply #215471 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If a player is sitting on the bench and gets two tech fouls ? That is ok ?

Reply #215472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

player on the bench who gets two tech fouls is still not thrown out of the game. the bench techs are recorded against the coach as he is responsible for the conduct of his players and assistants if a coach gets three bench technicals he is required to leave the game however if the coach gets two of his own technicals he has to leave the game. techs called on a player on the bench are not recorded against the player. there is a distinction between bench technicals and coach technicals 3 bench techs bye bye, two coach techs bye bye. these rules have been in place for many many years

Reply #215474 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Interesting. Guess we'd expect if a player got two techs for abusing the ref, then kicked the ball out, then elbowed a player, then abused the ref again, that he'd get sent off.
Still, that's five techs, the damage is done.

Reply #215481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel you seem to miss the point that it is all at the umpires discretion. if one technical foul or unsportsmanlike was warranted bad enough they would be ejected or it would be deemed a disqualifying foul.

everyone last night seemed to think that two techs was an automatic ejection which in the NBL it is not if the techs are on the player themselves. IMO if you got an unsportsmanlike for rough play then turned around and kicked the backboard support you might be asked to take an early shower because you are out of control. IMO if you have an unsportmanlike foul called against you then ranted at the opposition coach you MIGHT be asked to take a shower as you are out of control. Anstey last night I believe swore received a tech then continued the tirade he wasn't out of control other than his own disciplne to stop himself from receiving two techs in quick succession. IMO the ref in question was correct in leaving him in the game Anstey and his team had already been penalised by four foul shots (all made by Maher) and side ball possession to the opposing team plus they had their star play on 4 fouls in the first half.

Reply #215483 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw, OK. Now I understand it, and, thanks.

Reply #215484 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

In regards to Heal he was sent out, game waited until he left into the players race.
Both were technicals but the 2nd I believe was followed by some colourful words to the ref which saw the ref send him packing.

Technicals in the past I believe was automatic but now it is not as mentioned it is up to the referess discretion.

But is 2 unsportmanlike fouls a automatic ejection? And if so how does it work if you blatantly foul to stop the fast break (ie the auto unsportsmanlike foul) stop two fast breaks and your thrown out?

Reply #215489 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would have loved to have seem him get ejected last night imagine how crazy the crowd would have gone if Anstey was sent to the change room.

Reply #215493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ,

I was thinking the same thing about unsportsmanlike fouls. These are getting softer and softer particularly when you watch district juniors. Surely that needs to be reviewed if they are going to call more frequently unsportmanlike fouls for breathing on a player on a fast break!

Reply #215560 | Report this post

Chickenboy  
Years ago

Maybe I'm an idealist but in my opinion, two techs should equal an ejection regardless of what they're for.
Being 'out of control' is too open to interpretation, either physically or verbally.
And if you grab the player on the fast break twice...you get T'd up twice and sent out. If you're continually getting beaten by the break, switch your defense, don't rely on cheap grabby fouls to bail you out.

Reply #215562 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

IMO 2 techs are wose than 2 flagrant /unsportman like / intentionals.

Techs are where you are bringing the game into disrepute / behaving like a dick or just dont shut up.

If you need to get 2 techs before you get the message to cool down then you should not be out there playing anyway.

2 unsportmans are open to interpretation, just because you make a hard playt at the ball doesn't mean that you intentionally fouled someone although that is what the ref might think.

Reply #215564 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I am yet to see someone hospitalised for a Tech Foul. I have seen plenty of players never return to the game from an USF. The rules are quite easily defined on who can get what. I think if you spent one day having a quick browse through the rule book, the whole game might make a bit more sense.

Reply #215566 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Depends on the situation

If someone is hospitaliased due to a intentional then in my experience that has lead to a direct ejection ( Brad Hill aside)

If you are doing what Anstey was doing to Phil Haines on Saturday night then that IMO should be ejection. It would be in the NBA but here i think the refs are reluctant to toss "stars" if anyone at all.

I am going to add that i think Greer should have been ejected as well after he hit Julius then when he was on the ground he went and stood over him ever so gently kicking him in the process repeatedly. ( lesson here Mr Westover is that this tactic did not work too well)

Reply #215570 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Yeah it was very confusing, il bet money that if you had different refs out there they would have ejected him thats the problem there is a lack of consistancy in the league with our average refs. Should be 2 techs and goodnight. Anstey has little control sometimes, the crowd reaction was beautiful though and did you see d-mac telling off the crowd.

Reply #215600 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754