Ben Fitz
Years ago

Julius Hodge - Drinking the Poision

Topic #18348 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

Its great to have a guy with that sort of mentality on the team I support! Great things happen to people that put the effort in!

Reply #215673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wat a loser!!!!

Reply #215695 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Another quality anonymous post...... idiot.....

Reply #215696 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

#215695 you are a tool.............clearly your greatest life achievement was graduating from primary school. Why do you even bother dragging your sorry arse out of bed each morning.

Reply #215697 | Report this post

Years ago

King James, you strike me as reasonably intelligent.
You take that on face value?

Reply #215700 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Here comes DDtheanonymoushunter...

Obviously he just said it to stir us... or he's got the intelligence of Russell Hinder. Either way, who cares.

Reply #215703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hinder comment was uncalled for.

Reply #215708 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

I'm impressed. That is hard work s8 after a game. Note it's the 3 in the team trying to get somewhere else!

Reply #215710 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Hinder comment was hilarious! Deserves a ball!

Reply #215714 | Report this post

URATOOL  
Years ago

Spinner
Why is he a tool. Not everyone follows sports people blindly. He can shoot the ball, he knows everything. Hodge is not curing cancer, he is playing sport.

Reply #215720 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

He might not be drinking the poison but I think he is smoking the whoopy weed. I have never heard the term "drinking the poison" has it ever been used before??

I love the excitement that Julius brings to the game but he is definitely out there.

Reply #215726 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

URATOOL - Hodge is just an athlete and as you point out, he is not curing cancer, but he is a positvive image of a person who knows what he wants and is prepared to work hard to get it. Doen't want anything handed to him on a silver platter, he is willing to make sacrifices to achieve his goal.

You are missing the point.......forget that it is sport he is trying to excel in - it could be anything!

Now according to our Anonymous poster, that makes him a loser????? He IS a tool.

Reply #215730 | Report this post

URATOOL  
Years ago

NO "Spinner" you are throwing insults at a poster. And saying he should not get up in the morning. You are really a ****!!! who needs a good kick in the head. You have missed the point.

Reply #215747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're defending someone who contributed all of "wat a loser!!!!", directed at a guy who'd just helped win a game and was doing weights directly after to try and improve himself and his team.

What's the deal?

Reply #215752 | Report this post

Cat15  
Years ago

I think this says a lot about Julius. He is a top notch teammate. I'm disappointed there aren't more guys in the gym following his lead.
Hell, if the BEST player in our league is working his but off to improve, surely the other guys have to step back a bit and wonder what else they could be doing.
Why wasn't guys like Kersten in there?

Great work Julius. I love the comment about drinking the poison. I really hope he gets his dream of making it back to the NBA - he deserves it (after we win the chip of course!)

Reply #215758 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

X, enough with Hinder snipes, seriously. If you ever actually meet the guy and still think he's a tool, go for it, but it's getting old dude.....

Reply #215761 | Report this post

Leopard  
Years ago

Is working out after the game really that good for recovery? Any trainers or physios care to comment?

Reply #215763 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

What we have here readers is a classic example of what the mental health profession call the 'Five Stages of Grief'

Let me explain

Say our anonymous poster's name is Tommy. And lets say, for example, Tommy is a big Melbourne Tigers fan (possibly even friends with the head coach). For the sake of this study lets imagine Tommy is grieving because Melbourne 'lost' Julius Hodge to Adelaide.

1. Denial and Isolation.
At first, we tend to deny the loss has taken place, and may withdraw from our usual social contacts. This stage may last a few moments, or longer.

Tommy posts anonymously now because he is in denial and isolates himself from others by remaining anonymous. Tommy regrets writing on this site that "Julius is comin to the tigers"

2. Anger.
The grieving person may then be furious at the person who inflicted the hurt. He may be angry with himself even if, realistically, nothing could have stopped it.

Tommy's outburst of "wat a loser" is a sign of anger towards Julius

3. Bargaining.
Now the grieving person may make bargains with God, asking, "If I do this, will you take away the loss?"

4. Depression.
The person feels numb, although anger and sadness may remain underneath.

5. Acceptance.
This is when the anger, sadness and mourning have tapered off. The person simply accepts the reality of the loss.

Please people, for Tommy's sake, don't mock him, but help him get through the remaining stages of his grief so he can accept that Julius finds Adelaide to be better than Melbourne.

Reply #215764 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Reply #215766 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Thanks Kent, your knowledge of quirky youtube footage is endless, You have summed it up beautifully.

(Issac, The post on Tommy was by me but for some reason my computer did send my name across on the post)

Reply #215774 | Report this post

Iluv2ball  
Years ago

Maybe he should be working on his shooting technique......

Reply #215806 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"X, enough with Hinder snipes, seriously. If you ever actually meet the guy and still think he's a tool, go for it, but it's getting old dude....."

I've kinda met him, he didn't like me. I still think he's a tool.

Anyway sorry if it annoyed you. I couldn't think of anything else to put after "he's got the intelligence of...", I might use Shane Heal next time ;)

AK47 liked it at least, lol.

Reply #215819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all crap and propoganda.

From what I hear, Hodge is anything but a hard worker.

Apparently he is always sitting out at trainings (especially during drills) and didnt even rock up the other day because of a toothache!

Apart from the fact that he cant shoot, the other reason that he isnt in the NBA is obviously because he takes shortcuts.

He is good for the crowd etc during games, dont get me wrong, but outside of that I am not sure how much substance there is.

Any time someone has to film something like this to make everyone think they are working hard, usually means they arent.

Reply #215887 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

So Bruce and Schensh dont work hard either i guess anon because they were in the video too

Reply #215889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont get me wrong, love what you are doing with the video stuff.

Just watch a training session to see what I mean...

Reply #215892 | Report this post

URATOOL  
Years ago

Isaac
My first reaction was that the Interview was way (way) over the top. I was waiting for Rocky to scream Adrian. That was my feeling. Although what he wrote was perhaps wrong, it was also my initial thoughts/reaction. Sorry if we must agree to disagree but I am with the unliked poster.

Reply #215894 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

URATOOL - can imagine it was a bit over the top (hardly a surprise given Hodge's on-court persona) but would rather see something like "lots of style, not always a lot of substance" rather than "wat a loser".

Reply #215897 | Report this post

URATOOL  
Years ago

My response was little like "looking for pimples on a supermodel". I was a fan of Julius in college and am glad he can helps the sixers. Just do not build him into something he is not.

Reply #215900 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I don't need a role model- i got a great Dad.

Don't need any more friends.

Don't need inspiration.

Don't need to know players good and bad sides.

Need someone to get 20/10/10 for the sixers each game.

Thanks Julius.

Reply #215906 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Anonymous #215887:

"From what I HEAR, Hodge is anything but a hard worker.
"APARENTLY he is ALWAYS sitting out at trainings (especially during drills) and didnt even rock up the other day because of a toothache!
"ANY TIME someone has to film something like this to make everyone think they are working hard, USUALLY means they arent.

Ben Fitz:

"So Bruce and Schensh dont work hard either i guess anon because they were in the video too"

Anonymous:

"Dont get me wrong, love what you are doing with the video stuff"

Question to Anonymous, would now be a good time to ask Ben how the vid came about & who instigated it?

URATOOL:

"NO "Spinner" you are throwing insults at a poster. And saying he should not get up in the morning. You are really a ****!!! WHO NEEDS A GOOD KICK IN THE HEAD. You have missed the point"

I might be going soft, but I'd like to suggest that anyone that threatens violence on this site be banned. Sure I'm not popular here & I've been banned before, but URATOOL's outburst is way more serious than I've ever dished out.

note: Caps used throughout post to highlight discrepancies.

Reply #215908 | Report this post

Leopard  
Years ago

Hodge instigated the video and doesnt really train hard unless the camera is there. Big deal. Just his style.

Reply #215911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks for pointing that out.

URATOOL, you don't list an email address so this is the only opportunity to give you a single warning - keep it reasonable or don't participate.

Reply #215914 | Report this post

MAHER FAN  
Years ago

"This is all crap and propoganda.

From what I hear, Hodge is anything but a hard worker.

Apparently he is always sitting out at trainings (especially during drills) and didnt even rock up the other day because of a toothache!

Apart from the fact that he cant shoot, the other reason that he isnt in the NBA is obviously because he takes shortcuts.

He is good for the crowd etc during games, dont get me wrong, but outside of that I am not sure how much substance there is.

Any time someone has to film something like this to make everyone think they are working hard, usually means they arent".

That is exactly what I have heard about Julius recently. Misses training, rocks up late, sits out 30 minutes before everyone else because he's had enough. And what? Because the "other players" who were not on this video go home to a LIFE eg: family or partners, that makes them less dedicated to bettering themselves and working hard? Please. Get a grip. The other guys that are being overlooked work there guts out and obviously don't feel the need to attempt to "big note" them selves in a video to get posted on YouTube. If you take a look at who is staying behind to "better themselves" after a "good win" you will see its actually the 3 guys without much to go home to, so why not just do a couple reps and sets in the gym when your already THERE! I agree. Bunch of propaganda. There are plenty of great players on the team. But ey, whatever gets him back into the NBA! All I can say is, the proof is in the pudding man, start shooting some decent shots and will see how hard you have been working on yourself, until then, get a hold of yourself, your not curing cancer, your playing basketball.

Reply #215915 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

MAHERFAN + URATOOL = same user?

Seems like your argument is based on sour grapes..

Bagging players for being in the gym when there is a camera rolling. OMG, what next, calling them out for taking a 3 when the Foxtel cameras are recording. pfft.

Reply #215918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't think they're the same person, FWIW.

And to be fair to them, I don't think Hodge just happened to be in the gym when the camera was there, it was organised as part of his documentary thing.

It might be a bit over the top for some, and some people might have a beef with a perception of personal propaganda, but it's pretty easy to ignore if you don't like it.

More important focus in this case should be what's happening on court in terms of overall team success. Team PPG is up, we've had a couple of wins, the other losses were close, and I've found the games I've seen to be entertaining. Against the Tigers, I took along four people who hadn't seen a game since last year and they all loved it.

Reply #215920 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

OK, forgot about the Hodge documentary, but even so, didn't he ask if anyone was interested in doing it for him? I read into that, that he needed help to get it done & wouldn't be setting up a tri-pod & digi-cam himself.
Does anyone know who put the clip together (I assumed Ben Fitz, but looks like I was wrong)?

I'm stunned that players hitting the gym after a game, has brought so much anger. Then to say that Luke & Jake, both local lads have nothing to go home to is perplexing.

On a final note, has anyone of substance witnessed Jules' practice session laziness that's been suggested here?

Reply #215925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i can't post under real name as it would give away source. whether you believe this is up to you. the rest of the team aren't really fans of the video and the impression it gives (him training hard, them not, when reality is otherwise). don't think we'll see more footage like that. being a bit relaxed late or lazy at training and then working hard when cameras are around is not rare for imports in the nbl!!

Reply #215928 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

OK, forgot about the Hodge documentary, but even so, didn't he ask if anyone was interested in doing it for him? I read into that, that he needed help to get it done & wouldn't be setting up a tri-pod & digi-cam himself.
I'd say he got Fitz to film it for him (we were waiting for him to finish so we could go get food, and he was running around with the camera). Ben wouldn't say "Julius, let's do a video where you work out after the game and talk about not drinking poison." Julius decides that's what he's doing, tells the other guys to work out with him. I don't think it's been a regular event as it was new to Fitz and a coach we had a drink with later was not aware that it had happened.

As was said by someone else, I don't think we'll see another video in this series.

Reply #215933 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

To be fair Julius did do a weight session after the Hawks game as well.

Apparently it is not that uncommon in the NBA for players to do this for whatever reason.

That wasn't filmed.

Obviously anon has more info on the day to day than what i do.

The last thing i think that is / was intended is to suggest the Julius is working harder than anyone else on the team.

There has been a lot more filmed that will be used later on that might help paint the picture of why this was put on you tube now.

So maybe for now we should be looking at what great things are happening on the floor and help the team get the W tonight by being as passionate and lous as possible.

Reply #215934 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Where all the "team" (with Balls) fans that are willing to substantiate their negative claims by putting their name to a post?
In my world, if you're intent on posting something negative about the club/team/players, you put your name to it. I honestly don't see the point, otherwise.
I'll give you (Anonymous) an out clause. Tell me what's in it for the club, with your Jules hate?

Reply #215938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rest of team not huge fans of this video and implication that they arent working as hard when reality is theyre working longer and harder at actual trainings not mostly for show when the camera is there. its not hate on hodge. just trying to minimise overhyping of him doing some exercise after a game to protect the full team and keep them all on the same page. he should make the effort at trainings instead of for a video. look at this comment for eg of the problem: 'I think this says a lot about Julius. He is a top notch teammate. I'm disappointed there aren't more guys in the gym following his lead.' i know you dont think ballinger and davidson and the others dont give their all at trainings and in games but its bad that anyone thinks that based on this film. farley was often the same first off the court last back on after drinks yet as soon as the cameras are there he's doing solo sprints for tv.

Reply #215943 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Much respect Ben Fitz.
I for one look forward to the rest of the documentary.
I still have ZERO respect for Anonymous posters, & with the risk of being howled down, wish to mention that I NEVER saw ANY laziness in Jules last season. FFS, that was under Phil's supervision, so by all accounts, that would've been the PERFECT opportunity for Jules to have a tooth-ache, broken nail, bad hair day.
I believe that Jules brings more, than he takes.

Reply #215944 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

anon you have made your point, several times now, why not move on to something more refreshing.

Reply #215948 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely brings more than he takes. The impact on the crowd would be more than any other player in the league.

Reply #215950 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Fitz, keep up the sensational work.
Amazing isn't it, we all scream out for more coverage, yet when Ben and the lads do this, here come all the conspiracy theorists.

Oh well, might as well get used to the ABC coverage on the radio, surely that isn't a set up as well!

Reply #215951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hodge is not that good because if he was he wouldnt be here...period can we jst delete this thread now!!!!!!!!!

Reply #215974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Huh? He might not be good enough to lock in a spot in the NBA right now, but he's obviously "that good" that he can post quality numbers in the NBL. Let him play.

Reply #215976 | Report this post

Pig  
Years ago

delete delete delete go sixers!

Reply #215980 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

As Ben Fitz noted, this wasn't the first game that Julius had been in the gym doing weights straight after the game. He certainly isn't the only one either, Aaron Bruce and Schench have both been in there after the last few games, even Eric was in there.

The intention behind the video wasn't for us to show that Julius was working harder than anyone else, it was just to show that he is working hard to make himeself better to help the team.

As Isaac mentioned, what Julius brings is enthusiasm and showmanship something every team needs to really bring in the crowds, and for the most part Julius backs up this showmanship with what he does on the court.

Reply #216002 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Bizzy:

"The intention behind the video wasn't for US to show that Julius was working harder than anyone else, it was just to show that he is working hard to make himeself better to help the team"

Much praise to you Bizzy & Ben for putting that out there.
I'll bite my lip on any conclusion that I could draw from the detractors within this thread.

Reply #216024 | Report this post

URATOOL  
Years ago

Isaac
I accept the warning and that was out of line from me "Spinner". My opinion has not changed but I should deliver my message better.

Reply #216262 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

bluey:

"I have never heard the term "drinking the poison" has it ever been used before??"

Isn't it bar talk for alcohol?
Barstaff to newbie, "What's your poison?"
I must've seen it in a movie or on TV, I don't hang out in bars. ; )

Reply #216285 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I thought he meant "drinking the kool-aid" (e.g., Jonestown) - could be a fairly oblique reference to that in that he's not buying into the hype and still wants to improve rather than assume he's done enough.

Reply #216303 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Isaac ... did you catch the doco the other night on JJ

Reply #216309 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, was it interesting?

Last time I read about it I think was during a spate of Wikipedia reading about Manson, Waco, etc.

Reply #216312 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Yeh, not up with the kool-aid thing, but went on Jules mentioning other notable players avoiding the poison.
Wouldn't have thought that cutting it with the Oranges, was a plus for a basketball career.

Reply #216314 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Brilliant it was , riveting in fact... was on hot docs titled : JONESTOWN - The life and death of the peoples temple . Loads of unseen footage ,interviews with survivors , etc . well worth searching out .

Reply #216320 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I read the comments before i viewed the video, interesting way to do it.

As i saw it... was Julius talking himself and the team up (the kool-aid thing IMO refers to the hype)

Mountain and molehill stuff to me

Reply #216321 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Dude should mix in some protein with his morning ego shake . Don't drinks the poison man , u could end up skinny as me , dats why i works so hard man , you know . Just taking the proverbial , he has been awesome for the sixers i just laugh at the dialect , can't help .

Reply #216377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754