NVS
Years ago

Funny Cairns Taipans in administration

Word is that the Cairns Taipans are struggling and may in fact be put into administration today. Press conference is at 1200 today.

Topic #18355 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would expect the pin to be pulled at years end.
My understanding is that the owner built a stacked squad to give the title one last shake and they have rewarded him with a second to bottom performance.

You would not be to happy paying out a lot of cash for the on floor return.

Maybe a change of coach would do them good?

Plus if you are not going to be in the league next year what is the incentive to go hard this year?

Reply #215765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If O'Brien has no plans to go for the NewBL and is burning cash now, he might pull the pin early.

If not administration, some options:

- someone retiring mid-season due to personal reasons
- coach being replaced
- announcing formal plans to commit to the NewBL

Edit: administration seeming a real chance, unfortunately.

Reply #215767 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i'm happy for Mee to return to 36ers on reduced $ now he is naturalized....

Reply #215768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brings to mind a conversation from the weekend (sometime after the Tigers game I think) - was it a mistake for Cairns to pin hopes on veterans who have already won championships?

Black, Cattalini, Mee and Thomas have all won championships in the NBL prior to assembling in Cairns.

In Boston last season, we saw KG, Allen and Pierce unite with hunger to win a ring, that they'd not been able to achieve before, and the strategy worked.

Reply #215771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make it easier to say who the 8 teams are gong to be next year then:

Townsville
Brisbane
Sydney
Adelaide
Perth
NZ
Melbourne
South

Reply #215777 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the article: Snakes in administration

Administrators were called in to take control of the struggling privately-owned team on Monday night.

Players and staff were told of the decision this morning and the club's owners and directors, John O'Brien and Juanita O`Brien, are fronting a media conference now along with former director Luis Garozzo.

It is unknown at this stage if the Taipans will take to the court again.
Ouch.

Reply #215780 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Someone else pulling the pin, wonder if they'll get a rescue package.

At least the city of Cairns would have more chance of rallying to save them.

Reply #215784 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I suspect the well of funds for rescue packages will suddenly look a little bit dry.

Reply #215791 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I know it's harsh but is it worth rescuing only for them not to picture in the newBL?
Apparently Gold Coast were given significant indication they would be in - Townsville would be close to the model the newBL is seeking (spread ownership, community backing and support).

Whilst I'm sure alot of details havn't been published or even worked out yet things were never looking good for Cairns to host a team in the future newBL.

The Spirit on the other hand, the league has always shown it WANTS a team in Sydney whoever it may be.
Perhaps pre-season calls of skipping a year wernt so far fetched after all, perhaps a shortened compact budget season could have been run all too late now.

Reply #215793 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Had someone just suggest to me that the title should be given to the last team left in the league.

Reply #215797 | Report this post

shirley schmidt  
Years ago

There's going to be a lot of pro basketballers pushing trollies at the local supermarket for a living pretty soon.
Maybe someone should start an "adopt a basketballer" program.

Reply #215801 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

This year's NBL is like some sort of bad movie... a really bad, unfunny movie about basketball...

Reply #215802 | Report this post

rocket4  
Years ago

here is the statement

Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:13:15 +1100
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: NBL STATEMENT ON CAIRNS TAIPANS

MEDIA RELEASE

9 December 2008

NBL STATEMENT ON CAIRNS TAIPANS

The National Basketball League (NBL) released the following statement from interim Chief Executive Officer Scott Derwin in response to the announcement by the Cairns Taipans that the club had been placed into voluntary administration.

"I received a call from Cairns Taipans majority owner, John O'Brien late last night informing us that he had placed the club into voluntary administration," said Derwin.

"The decision to hand the club over to administrators has come as a shock to the League as it had received no previous indication from the Taipans that the club was experiencing extreme financial difficulties.

"There was also no prior indication from the club that it intended to take this course of action when the recent issues surrounding the Sydney Spirit were being addressed, which is disappointing."

"The League understands that John O'Brien is acting in a responsible and ethical manner by appointing an administrator, choosing not to run the risk of trading while insolvent," said Mr Derwin. "We are confident the appropriate administrator has been appointed to make sound business decisions regarding the financial viability of the club.

"I will be meeting with the administrator today to determine the extent of the club's financial situation and to explore all possible options for the Taipans to continue to play in the NBL. However, it is the administrators, which will ultimately decide the future of the club.

"We remain hopeful that a way can be found for the club to play out the rest of the season."

Derwin stated that the recent issues surrounding the financial viability of some NBL clubs highlighted why basketball in Australia was undergoing significant reform. "Basketball now has a unified national governing body to run the sport with a revised management structure focused on delivering strong commercial and community benefits for the sport.

"The need for greater accountability and commercial viability will see the introduction of a more stringent criteria for the 'New NBL', in terms of ownership guidelines and financial guarantees, when it is launched next season."

For more information:

Marc Howard

NBL
Manager  Media, Communications & Internet

Mobile: 0419 512 139

Reply #215811 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

I suggest this is another example of a club grossly overpaying there players and hence not making good business decisions.

The new Basketball administration must ensure as part of the new league that they police and investigate the salary cap.

Reply #215818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"accountability" what a joke where`s the league office accountability
seems to me it`s one of the only franchises that you can buy a worthless piece of paper (license)
to loose millions of dollars
While the good money the clubs put in to buy it sits in a bank account earning interest and paying wages to people who don`t even attempt to advertise the product.

Reply #215820 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

will jawai pay up n save em?

Reply #215824 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

will never play another game...

Reply #215826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no, he has no cash

Reply #215827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We could buy an NBL club as a christmas present. Quantity high, demand low.

Reply #215840 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

can someone please explain exactly what it means when its said that a team is placed into administration?

Reply #215879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From GordonG who was at this morning's press conference:

Not much said. The players have been offered a package that would enable them to play and be paid (at a reduced rate). They have 24 hours to respond (on an individual basis) and from there the decision will be made about the Blaze game. Derwin said that positive talks had been held with the Convention Centre. More news as it happens, I guess...

Reply #215931 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754