Anonymous
Years ago

National League may not exist from 09 onwards

Strong talk of NBL now going back to the olden days.

Each state having strong state leagues and a club nationals at year end that will mean something.

Expect to see another team on the east coast to go under with in weeks.

Strong talk also of this season not being finished.

Basketball in this country is headed the same way baseball went i hate to say.

Topic #18363 | Report this topic

vanexel31  
Years ago

this would be horrible, basically ABL being the highest quality of basketball in Australia. One thing i wonder is how does the sheffield shield cricket survive and NBL cant? i see a lot of them cricket games on flicking trough Foxtel and nobody is there. A 4 is hit an it sounds like 5 people are clapping. They get a heap of live coverage on fox, plenty of sponsors and a healthy competition. can someone fill me in I must be honest and say i do know much about cricket, and how it manages to survive when NBL is struggling.

Reply #215842 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting last comment.....Everytime someone attributes a problem with an NBL club or with the NBL to "basketball" they do the sport a disservice.

As the NBL has been on its 10-12 year downward spiral, basketball has flourished...

Since the NBL went on its downward run we have won a 22 and under world championship, we have won a women's world championship, we have come top four in a number of other world class events, we have seen participation thriving at local stadium level, we have pumped hundreds of kids into US colleges and plenty of players into leagues around the world.

Thats what "Basketball" has been doing during this period. It may not be what the NBL and its clubs have been doing in the same time.

Reply #215843 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Sigh.

Apparently the "NewBL" is to enforce stricter control of ownership, yadda yadda.

But to the average Joe Punter, there needs to be more agressive marketing. The Sixers ad on Channel 9 is almost painful - the only Sixers footage it shows is a tip off of one of their training games?!

From the public's perspective, there's little to hook them into going to a basketball match. Few real superstars, rivalries that don't mean much to anyone who isn't already a fan, a playoff system that has been changed so much even fans have trouble keeping up with it. Of course, the biggest problem of all is it's not on free to air, so they can't even get a taste of it without having to shell out money.

Reply #215844 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Is that the footage where it's 5 on 6?

Reply #215846 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Good to see all the great evidence from a great source...not

Reply #215849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least the 36ers can afford to advertise in the cheap Adelaide TV market.

They'll need at least a couple of other teams to balk or drop out, and no one stepping in to pick up the missing spots, before they'll give up their grand hopes for the new league. As long as they get 6-8 teams in + their TV money, it's on in some form. Lose a couple more teams, particularly in the larger cities, with no replacements (especially in Sydney and SE QLD - very important for the TV deal), and you'll see the whole thing collapse.

Reply #215850 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

People embrace that which they see, touch & feel.
If the powers that be do not get Free To Air TV, & the clubs don't make a bigger effort to reach out to the local clubs, it's not going to improve any time soon.

Reply #215852 | Report this post

ll  
Years ago

ever since it went to fox it started going down hill, when the kids see it on tv they get intrested then they want to go see it live.I would say most people who go to see the 6ers now are people who are some how involved in the game eg.there kids play or they do, free tv is what the nbl needs and not just highlights once a week

Reply #215859 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i call bullshit...it will be there as sure as your ass points to the ground!

Reply #215861 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze actually had an interview on PTI last week, or the week before, where he was alluding pretty strongly to an NCAA college conference-like system. I was pretty intrigued by the comments considering this guy is a big deal on the reform board.

I could only see this move, if it were to happen, strengthening the game at the grass roots level.. but would clubs have the resources to afford the calibre of import that we currently attract (i.e. Hodge?)

For that reason I couldn't see an end-of-season tournament attracting much of a TV audience, although attendances could be pretty solid.

All in all, a pretty interesting idea. But I think I'm too attached to the 36ers to fully get behind it.

--

It would seem (at least to me) that the A-League seemed to take basketball's legs from under it, in a sense that it is now the #1 "minority" sport in the country. I don't think that simply following their model and saturating the market would have seen much increase in interest for basketball.

Also, to respond to vanexel31, with regard to Sheffield Shield cricket... I would suggest that Cricket Australia puts in a decent amount of funding. Not to mention, all of the state association memberships e.g. Adelaide Oval membership would go towards funding the state team. That's a serious amount of money every year.

Reply #215862 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could we see both? NewBL with 8 teams and then a stronger conference-style ABA doing a better job of uniting the WA league, QABL, SEABL, etc?

Reply #215871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tickle what Gaze was talking about was the second tier comp, currently the horrible mess that is the ABA.

Expect to see the structure of the ABA change significantly in 2010.

Reply #215875 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Considering someone took a worse league that was completely defunct (incase you don't remember, it was called the NSL) and turned it into a multi-million dollar league that is now starting to become a "world renowned" (that means it's popular enough to warrant international attention) then the NBL revamp is more than capable of doing the same.

The legaue should focus on its flagship players the same way the NBA does. Need to lure in major sporting sponsors like Nike or Adidas and get them into league advertising and financing.

Probably the only way the league can expand.

Reply #215886 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Considering someone took a worse league that was completely defunct (incase you don't remember, it was called the NSL) and turned it into a multi-million dollar league that is now starting to become a "world renowned" (that means it's popular enough to warrant international attention)

That's also losing money just as quickly as the NBL. The only thing keeping the A-League going is some particularly deep pockets.

I said it from day one, I'll say it again.....

Deckchairs -> Titanic.

Until someone with a solid overall view of the sport gets in control, this is just rubbish.

Derwin is looking after the interests of BA, Harmison is trying to look after those of the NBL, Seamus is looking after those of the Melbourne Tigers, etc.

The Foxtel deal was forced on people at the worst possible time. They need to get the product right BEFORE they commit to any media deals.

Total Farce.....they expect owners to tip in millions of dollars to a "New" league, where IMHO, not much has changed. Administratively, a little has changed but who knows if there's even any benefit to those changes.....what about MARKETING the damned sport?

Again....having a report that says our goal is to be in the top 3 sports in the country is admirable, but HOW are you going to get there?

Having a goal that says they want to generate so many dollars and have a league that people will want to be part of? Again, nice idea, but HOW?

I think they should have invested the consultancy money in marketing, and the league may already have been in better shape.

Reply #215893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think some of the problems can actually stem from the supporters and general Australian public. Don't get me wrong, we can go on for months about lack of publicity/sponsorship/tv rights etc and it's definately the obvious problem.

Australians as a general culture are winners, like being winners, and like watching winners.

AFL is obviously the best competition (of AFL as we know it) anywhere in the world, there is no higher standard of it played anywhere else, so people flock to it.

Australian cricket has been at a high standard over the past few years but is slowly on the decline. Recent crowd figured indicate that it was highly supported when we were winning, but not so much now that we're not dominating.

The NBL is unfortunately not anywhere near the highest standard in the world, and with NBA & Euroleague readily available on Foxtel/Live streaming etc now, people would rather watch the highest standard rather than a sub-par league.

I honestly believe this has an impact. If you had NBA calibre players playing in Australia, fans would flock back to the games, but sadly we don't have that, and never will.

Reply #215901 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Dicko....your Derwin comment is interesting..... here's a different view.

If Derwin was looking after the interests of BA, then he would never have taken on the unification of the sport as a project.

BA have far more to lose in the new structure in the short term than they have to gain.

The risk to BA and its modest financial base is very large. The sport now carries the risk of the newBL, not just the owners....if thats not an overall view of the sport, I am not sure what is.

Reply #215922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps basketball needs to be run similar to the AFL with surities put up so that clubs cannot fold mid season and solid financial deposits required prior to obtaining a license.
That said , basketball like baseball enjoys precious little support in the wider community here and both are seen as 'American sports'. Basketball, in particular, has an ethos of only excessively tall people can excel which cuts out the vast majority and places it amongst midget wrestling as a niche sport.
Add to that, the shortness of the game and lack of time for ads to run and it offers little for free to air TV. However Foxtel would run ant racing to fill time spots so they remain basketball's best chance of exposure.
Ec, said we have a solid junior program and is right but that junior program self destructs post U18's and we retain precious few in the sport long term. Just how you retain late teens in a sport with no pathway at senior level remains the greatest threat to basketball not the demise of the NBl.
Educated parents will steer kids to sports that they may have a better chance of success in and that means we need to have a stronger social network for seniors where average size joes and joeys feel they can play into their dotage because like it or lump it unless you bump your head on ceilings you ain't going anywhere in basketball generally.
When you look at the state of the basketball facilities in South Australia, their condition best described as ordinary and the lack of air conditioned venues etc, you wonder if the infrastructure exists to support any expansion at junior level which would provides the audience for ABL/WNBL/NBL.
Clubs here are debating the value of staying in the ABL at seniors, six or seven hundred get to the Lightning games and four or five thousand get to the sixers on good night. Those figures suggest if basketball ceased to be played in Oz there wouldn't be much of a wake.

Reply #215935 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Interesting comment about pathway after U/18, Seems like an area that needs work.

Reply #215963 | Report this post

William 49  
Years ago

SA and WA want no part in the National ABA due to high travel costs which clubs can't afford. That is why it has been pulled from the BA agenda as of this year.

Reply #215979 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

this is only a little note but i hope the nba on the new ten digital channel will help somewhat in getting exposure to kids etc that maybe the new nbl cannot get on FTA. i used to like watching nba action and the game when i was younger maybe this will help in getting some of the kids looking at bball and the local league more.

Reply #216013 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754