Kent Brockman
Years ago

Soccer gets another 45mill from the gov.

http://linky.com.au/2pxly

Wouldn't BA / NBL like to see 10% of that right now.

Topic #18365 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Kent, my reaction to this was of utter disgust and anger. We have the NBL falling apart around our feet and in crisis right now and yet the government can throw a cool $45m at them. Basketball is a sport with high participation rates at junior level and yet soon there will be no elite level for these juniors to aspire to. That in the long run will see the decline of basketball amongst junior participation. I like to think I am not biased but what's wrong with stupid Australians. Can't they recognise a visually exciting sport to follow and support the NBL. They sit through the most boring games of soccer where you are likely to see not a single score and the tedium of cricket. Even AFL doesn't have the same level of excitement in the game in that most of the time you are watching it from a television screen to see what's happening. Basketball is an up close and personal game with the excitement right in your face. The atmoshpere is great in a closed venue (not to mention weather friendly). I really don't understand why it doesn't get the support it does.

Reply #215884 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

EC, that's your opinion of the sport. Don't get me wrong, I like Basketball as well but this money is a grant to host the 2018 World Championships.

From the report:

Hosting the FIFA World Cup will bring significant economic benefit to Australia and boost tourism, infrastructure and jobs around the country.

I don't see anything wrong with the $45 Million grant. Like the old saying 'You have to spend money to make money'. At the end of the day I must be one of those Stupid Australians......

Reply #215895 | Report this post

mnbvcxz  
Years ago

I'd rather watch paint dry than pay money to watch a nill all draw.
Can't stand golf either. Hit the crap out of a ball then go and look for it ?
Even AFL and NRL gives me the shits for the simple reason that most of the players get treated like they are the greatest thing to ever walk the earth, while having suitcases of money thrown at them despite acting like tools drink driving, urinating in public e.t.c. Don't even get me started on the NRL guys that wipe their crap on motel room walls and stick their fingers up other players bums whilst on the field.

Maybe the NBL players need to start being dickheads for Australia to stand up and take notice of the sport, it's worked well for our two football codes.

Reply #215896 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fair few generalisations there. Matthews' digital rape case, Harvey's recorded drug conversations and Heal's run in with Cesar could be giving non-hoops fans similarly bad impressions of our sport. That is, if they didn't already have enough ammo based on two NBL teams going into administration within a couple of weeks. They might say, "I'd rather watch a team that is alive for longer than a few years."

The NBL isn't going to attract any sort of grant until it fixes current problems.

Reply #215898 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Gotta love governments. In terms of overall benefit to the population, this is one of the least beneficial things that could be done with $45 million of taxpayer money (especially considering it's only a bid). However, since it will be appreciated by soccer administrators and fans (and there are lots of them), in terms of gaining favour, this is one of the best ways (for the government) the $45 million could be spent.

Reply #215899 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

FIFA votes mustn't be cheap

Reply #215903 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Large grant, but you can't say it would be the 'least beneficial thing'. If Australia were successful in its bid, it would be as big a boost to the economy as the Sydney 2000 Olympics. There is nothing else as big in the world of sport, whether you are a fan of the game or not.

Reply #215905 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Can someone please explain to me the economics of the A-league? Is it exclusively based on the possible riches on offer from Asia? A transfer-fee based model where we become a developmental league and trade our players away for the long-term survival of the club?

As parlous as the NBL's current situation is, I flicked through an A-League game the other day where the Jets attracted a massive 7,500 fans. This on a perfect summer afternoon in Newcastle. How does that pay for their marquee player (up to $1.5mill as I understand it), let alone their salary cap and the administration and coaching staff.

I don't see how they are in a better position than the old Hunter Pirates with $750K salary cap (trust me - for the Pirates this was a VERY hard cap) and their admin expenses were negligible (again, as a part of their support staff I know how tightly things were run) attracting 1500-2000 people per home game.

Personally, I could do without ever seeing soccer again, but I understand that's a personal choice but I don't see droves of Australians disagreeing with me by showing up in huge numbers to games.

How does it work?

Reply #215912 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Like it or not, it's the biggest sport in the world and has a significant political pull globally.

As for the A-League? Without the Fox deal in 2007, the League wouldn't be afloat.

Reply #215917 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ankles, as Libertine has said, the TV deal is probably a key. Once upon a time it was $750k/year. Not sure what it is now, but at one point they were talking about $20m/year.

This is one reason why the NewBL is eager to ramp things up a bit - secure a decent deal and any share to clubs could become useful as they reinvest in better talent and marketing, etc. Not foolproof, but that'd be a target.

Reply #215919 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

just to clarify for the haters....the money is for a world cup bid, its not for the a-league.

Its not for FFA, its for a world cup bid.

One more time ...its for a world cup bid - its not being given to football.

see it as a huge positive. If the Rudd government is prepared to fund this bid, they set a big big precedent for other single sport championships, such as basketballs world champs. BA played around a couple of years ago with pitching for the Basketball Women's world champs in 2010 ...but could not afford the underwrite cost...now there is an opportunity.

Reply #215921 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Because EVERYONE thinks the world cup would be great, am I right?

In terms of "economic benefit", it's only really a spike; for a few weeks the tournament will generate more income for retailers and hospitality, but it won't necessarily be creating or sustaining any jobs.

Fair enough it *may* increase tourism interest but you have to think that Australia is already a fairly popular tourist destination anyway.

Spending 45 million on a bid that may fail is just silly; not to mention, for the majority of taxpayers it provides no tangible benefit other than a few months of feeling good about having the world cup in Australia.

Reply #215923 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

black dracula, that is just naieve....

spending 45 million on a bid process that fails is not necessarily a negative. In its own right it establishes the "australian" brand of being a big sporting event nation, it builds awareness etc etc.

the bid process builds a small business in its own right. if they don't win then they lay the credentials for a further bid (ala Melbourne 1996 vs Sydney 2000)

If they win based on the 45 million then it provides a massive return...not just a "blip".

Reply #215924 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Black dracula:-

1. Much of the money will be involved in establishing Australian infrastructure/support to put together a bid (I expect the bid will require a substantial staffing support)

2. If won, you have huge investment in infrastructure - construction jobs building/upgrading stadiums, upgrades to public transport systems etc.

3. If won, hundreds of full time jobs will be created preparing/running the World Cup over the next 10 years.

4. As you mention, there will be a huge income derived to the local economy at the time of the event: accomodation, restaurants, shops, tourism.

5. Media coverage (and probably rights) that you just cannot buy: Most of the world will be focussed on Australia over the period of more than a month.

Most of the world will have forgotten all about Australia and the Sydney Olympics come 2018 (if they haven't already). Promotion is something that has to keep occuring otherwise people forget you exist. Coke doesn't keep advertising just because it has too much money and doesn't know what to do with it.

Reply #215929 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

XY, you raise well thought out points; if won, a world cup would provide an economic boost across multiple sectors.

However, points 2 through 5 that you list only happen if the bid is successful; if not, $45 million of taxpayer money is gone that could have been better spent elsewhere. This is my issue with it all; the government is taking a substantial risk with a non trivial sum of money.

Not only that, I'd argue that as for point 1, in terms of providing jobs for a world cup bid, I'd imagine the majority of people qualified for such a position would already be employed somehow...most likely already in a job that you can't just get Joe Bloggs off the street or Jane the uni graduate to do.

As far as the world forgetting about Australia - I disagree here. While there's no major event attracting people, the Australian climate, scenery, produce, landmarks (and perhaps even our culture) are definitely popular overseas. We may
not see it as much in Adelaide, but Australia is still an attractive tourist destination.

I do agree that major international events need to be brought to Australia, but in this case I think it's a matter of justifying the possibly large loss by measuring the potential payoffs. Not only that, Adelaide itself isn't on the list of cities included as hosts. That means the payoffs will possibly be restricted to other areas.

At least the payment is over 3 years and not one.

Reply #215936 | Report this post

WOT THE  
Years ago

Its for the world cup bid in 2018

Reply #215939 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"One more time ...its for a world cup bid - its not being given to football."
No one said it's being given to fotball you clown. I wish it was going to football or basketball. Shit, I'd rather see it go to the Power than this.

Rudd and Ellis can suck my balls, this is a disgrace.

"Prime Minister Kevin Rudd said the funding "sends a clear message to the football world that Australia is serious about hosting the 2018 FIFA World Cup"."

It is a sad, sad day when the prime minister of AUSTRALIA calls soccer "football".

Reply #215953 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

mnbvcxz- You state

"Even AFL and NRL gives me the shits for the simple reason that most of the players get treated like they are the greatest thing to ever walk the earth, while having suitcases of money thrown at them despite acting like tools drink driving, urinating in public e.t.c."

On this theroy does it mean you hate the NBA as well??

Reply #215956 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XztatiK, re: football vs soccer, why's that? Stop being so dramatic.

They have to be in it to win it. I'd rather see some money spent on chances like this rather than the country sit stagnant with no events. I'm sure in the past the SA government or Adelaide City Council have spent money on bids or planning for various things in SA that give us great events around Feb-Apr.

Reply #215957 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Yeah "great" events, not that panzie 'sport'. If we get the world cup it looks like I'm going on an overseas holiday for while.

So obviously you get that I'm just pissed off because I hate soccer and can't comprehend how anyone with the slightest intelligence or skill couls watch or play it.

For people who like the 'sport' it would be great, and I'm not doubting that it would boost our economy a fair bit but there's also no doubt that basketball needs it far more right now.

Anyway, the money looks likely to go to waste anyway. Some soccer-loving friends of mine are saying that we have no chance of getting it because if we do itwill be three consecutive cups outside of Europe, whch FIFA won't let happen. Great news :D

Reply #215966 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

*sorry about some missing letters/spaces - keyboard is screwed right now.

Reply #215967 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

XztatiK - by calling the sport "football" rather than soccer the PM is simply calling the sport what the rest of the world calls it. Don't you think it would be a bit stupid for Rudd to come out and say we are bidding for the "soccer" world cup? The rest of the world would ask him to at least get the name right before he considers hosting the biggest sporting event in the world.

I'm struggling to comprehend how many of you see this as a bad thing.. the football world cup is the single biggest event in the world and for Australia to host it would be huge - absolutely massive.

Reply #215988 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

lockstock, Rudd's comment will be heard by far more Australians than any other nationality, and in Australia the 'sport' is called soccer. It's not like people in Europe and South America don't recognize the name 'soccer'.

"the football world cup is the single biggest event in the world"

*soccer world cup.

Reply #216001 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Ho, its $45 million being paid by every tax payer. Although Soccer at present has a better following here than Basketball, its still only appeals to a very small portion of the total taxpayers. I thoroughly object to this kind of money being put up for this sport because I don't care for it and I don't want to pay taxes to support it. This would have to be the case for every non soccer supporter who's tax money is being used this way. I know everyone has their own opinion of which sport they prefer to follow, so why doesn't the government get fair about it if it is to put up some money. Don't you think that it would be appropriate for the government to help out in keeping these NBL clubs going under stay afloat? Don't you think its worthwhile to try and save a dying league? I think its pretty reckless of the government to allow the NBL to die a painful death when its injecting $45 million into soccer. It's turning its back on around 30,000 people around the country that still support the NBL by attending games regularly, not to mention the enjoyment factor that they will lose if they don't help out. I can't see any reason why they can't fund free to air coverage of games and even advertise on free to air channels. The commercials could state that its a federal or state government initiative to show the support they are giving.

Reply #216012 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

One other thing too, the Australian Soccer team has never been that strong a competitor on the world competition. What would happen if Australia made a successful bid for the World Cup and then host it without an Australian side competing. It would be total embarrassment. I'd like to say egg on the faces of Rudd and Ellis but its not likely that they will be in government that far ahead in time to take the blame for a stupid expensive decision.

Reply #216014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like it or not its called Football(not Soccer) only those uneducated/hate call it soccer.

The amount of revenue this would bring in is massive. The cost if we get it will probably equate to about 2billion dollars, but then we will likely have huge increases in tourists which cover any and all costs.

Plus Aus gets an automatic place in the WC that year

Reply #216016 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

EC the host team gets automatic entry

Reply #216022 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

So where is this money actually going??? Will it be used to renovate/create stadiums and facilities? Or will it simply be offered directly to FISA?

Hopefully it's the second case, so that when we are rejected we can retain the 46 milli.

Reply #216027 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

EC, Governments make decisions like this all the time.....they bail out the car industry but not the textile/clothing/footwear industries ...they offer inducements to indian software companies to set up in technology parks, but not to US software houses...etc etc.

In the last 6 years EVERY AFL club in melbourne has received significant funding for training ground/facility redevelopment...but they have not funded the Tigers/Dragons for this purpose.

Guess what...they use taxpayers money to do this. Should the government fund losing elite sports clubs...nope I do not think they should. The AFL props up Melbourne and North Melbourne, Frank Lowy props up Sydney FC and the A-league ran the Perth Franchise for 18 months - not the government.

I am sure the Board of Basketball SA spends your basketball taxes (insurance/rego) at times in ways you do not like...they might fund state team uniforms which you get no benefit from.

The unification of the sport has a pot of gold from the ASC....there have been long term assurances that this will happen. Basketball will get its cash....above and beyond the 4 or so million it is funded annually currently for its elite programs.

But overall..governments have to be discretionary in how they spend.

Reply #216061 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The AU Defence Force has a budget of around $20 billion in 2008/09... I'd rather see money go towards something like the World Cup that brings nations together.

Maybe they'll find something for basketball in the future, but when it's reformed, not right now.

There's not a huge incentive to prop up a private enterprise like Cairns when it's not likely to continue in the league anyway.

Reply #216065 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If BA was to make a bid to host the 2136 World Championships, they would probably also get a grant.

Reply #216068 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754