skip
Years ago

AAMI Stadium upgrade to be put off

What was originally planned to start next year, looks set to be put to the side for the next few years now.

http://linky.com.au/4x2w9

The new lighting however looks set to still be going ahead.

My hope is that in that time the Government come to their senses and bulldoze the ground instead.

Topic #18378 | Report this topic

Black Dracula  
Years ago

They talk about how running tram lines down to places like North Adelaide will increase foot traffic and patronage to those businesses...

Yet they seem to not understand that the same logic works for having a stadium in the city. If ~50,000 people are going into the city to watch an event, that's a huge number of people that will potentially empty their pockets into hospitality businesses in the CBD.

Reply #216122 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

sell football park

go into partnership with Adelaide Oval, redevelop and bang...fantastic location, super ground and a reduction in wasted space, lets be honest, footy park is used maybe 20 hours aweek out of a possible 168...what a total waste.

Reply #216124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... and who will own it me? who will have "rights" - football or cricket?

You are delusional is you think this will ever happen.

Reply #216130 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

That would be the last game of footy I go to see. Its almost impossible to get out of the city when there 20,000 at the cricket, never mind about 40,000 crows fans.

I suppose I could switch to Power, that crowd is more like a 36ers crowd in size anyway!

Reply #216161 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Not delusional at all, in truth it is our sporting leaders that are delusional.

we have a superb stadium that is used for approx 10% of its usable time.

If the leaders of our codes got togethr and sorted things out, they could both make a very very successful agreement. The costs of running 2 stadia is absurd and unnneccessary.

Here is a thought, imagine that a single entity owned both stadia (umm lets say the government) and they decided to close one down and amalgamate. The owners then decided who got what and when as required by the public interest.

Suddenly, the oval gets a huge upgrade, the sports save themselves a fortune and the public has a great stadium in the best location.

what have we lost?...maybe 2 or 3 days where they would bicker over who should use it?

common sense?...delusional?

Reply #216173 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

who me

so your telling me its easy to get out of footy park??

Reply #216174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

me I wonder if you would be as supportive of a sale of the Dome with basketball moving into ETSA Park with Netball?

Reply #216198 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If it was going to be upgraded and bigger than YES! (But that's not going to happen).

Adelaide Oval should be utilised more and the boost to the city would be substantial.

Pre game early dinner in the city, head to the game (football, cricket, whatever code) and than out for a few drinks afterwards.

Reply #216235 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I would certainly support the joining of netball and Basketball, again it makes sense.

These kind of amalgamations cause minimal problems for players and fans...its just the administrators that lose their little kingdoms.

the costs to players, fans and the world are much lower, we end up with 1 international quality arena instead of 2 sub par.

can anyone give 3 good reasons why it would not work?

Reply #216264 | Report this post

Dazzler  
Years ago

Who Me - have you ever tried to get in to or out of footy park? There are only a couple of main roads that are all majorly congested before and after games. At least in the city there are many more roads in different directions that people can take - also more public transport

Reply #216268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"These kind of amalgamations cause minimal problems for players and fans...its just the administrators that lose their little kingdoms."

In the case of basketball/netball joining you'd have 3 professional sporting teams playing out of one venue. All wanting to train when it suits them, all wanting access to the best change room/team facilities available.

Add to that Netball SA's massive local comp, Basketball SA's ABA/Seniors/Junior comps all having to find a way to share the venue.

It's probably not a fair comparison when considering both sports are played 12 months of the year, even though the National Leagues are played during opposite times.

The fact that you's support it and make a comment like the one above certainly proves to me that you really don't understand the details involved which make it impossible for AFL/Cricket or Basketball/Netball to share a facility.

Reply #216273 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

3 teams who each train for maybe 3 hours per day on court? (and thats being generous) so fitting them all on court and in change rooms isnt a challenge, (not to mention the differing seasons) and as i said... there will have to be negotiation as to who goes where and when.

This thought was focussed on elite level...not the local netball and basketball comps..nothing would change there.

By the way...Footy and cricket have shared the Oval in the past... just a simple argument about timing and who is more important was the reason for the millions wasted on Footy Park.

The fact that you cannot so much as contemplate an alternative...suggests to me you will have a great career in local sports administration.

Reply #216298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide Oval for Cricket and AFL will never ever work.

Case closed.

One indoor venue for both Elite basketball and netball can work. The way things are going now I would expect elite netball to be run out of the Dome within a couple of year anyway. I think they have 2 Thunderbirds games there next season, had two internationals at the dome recently.

Grassroots would still require ETSA Park.

As I said basketball/netball isn't really a fair comparison. They could share a venue. Cricket and AFL can not.

Reply #216300 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

again....WHY cant it work...you have not given ANY REASONS at all.

Acceptable reasons do not include because the administrators cant get along.

Reply #216316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how do you get around the issue of the cricket pitch?

Why would the SANFL give away income generated from catering, hire of facilities etc to move? And you might say thats just a local administration being selfish but at the end of the day that money pays for little johnny to get his free footy gear at the bottom of the food chain.

Reply #216323 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Not being grundsman, nor an engineer, so i dont have the answer to the pitch... but i am sure if this were to be looked at seriously, it could be overcome.

yes the concessions are admin related, however, if the SANFL and the Cricket Board are both saving hundreds of thousands of dollars in their running, upkeep, power, water, personel, etc etc. then I am sure that could find its way to the grass roots.

And do tell how much revenue has been created at the Adelaide oval and Footy park this month? in fact how much revenue have both locations created in the past 3 months?

Reply #216328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because there's no AFL or Cricket there doesn't mean there is nothing there.

Both venues have large corporate facilities and you'd be surprised how much use they actually get.

As I've said, like it or not the SANFL will always have their own venue and will never move into the SACA run Adelaide Oval.

Reply #216335 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

You keep saying it...but that doesnt make it right.

I dont expect that they ever will, because petty empire building is more important to the people in power. BUT, as a fan you would be much better served if they combined.

Yes they have corporate facilities, which i know very well just how much use they get (i have used them myself on many occasions) I also know those facilities would be even better if they were at one location.

There is no question that both the footballing and cricketing public would be better off if they combined and rebuilt the adelaide oval. It is also fair to assume, the businesses themselves would also be better off given the reduced running costs..the only losers are the Admins.

as an aisde..."the revenues to grass roots", imagine you sold off Footy Park for... ohh lets guess 20 million dollars, you invest that 20 million at..oh lets say 10%...theres 2 million a year going back into grass roots... FOR NOTHING!

Reply #216347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK I'll again ignore your unjustified attacks on sports administrators and try and make this clear for you.

SACA run and operate Adelaide Oval which holds 35,000. The AFL will not support the Crows playing in a venue which holds 35,000. The State Government, Adelaide City Council and Cricketing FANS will not support major renovations to the hallowed cricketing ground which is Adelaide Oval. The FANS won't support it. Nothing to do with the administrators, its about what the cricketing fans and members want.

So either you need to move the crows to a smaller venue or you have to piss off the cricket fans.

If you renovate Adelaide Oval how do you pay for it? You sell AAMI and use the fund to assist in the renovations. It wouldn't cover the full cost so you'd still need State Government money to bring Adelaide Oval up to AFL standards. Plus you'd lose all the proceeds of a sale of the AAMI Stadium grounds. If you sell AAMI and the surrounding land then you have to relocate the SANFL admin and Crows admin and training facility. Of which they've just spent millions to upgrade. Plus you need to spend more $$ relocating them to Adelaide Oval. If you can find room for them. Before AFL is played at the Oval your already millions of dollars in the red.

Now the Crows pre-season training starts in November. They need facilities and oval space. Cricket pitches need to be hard and prepared well before use. Sure they 'used to' share facilities but they also used to train 3 times a week and have full time jobs away from the sport. Professional teams need access to facilities 24/7. Pre-seasons are starting earlier every year. Logistically it is impossible for the Crows to be based at a cricket oval, and vice versa.

The SANFL would make over a million dollars profit from AAMI stadium catering. At best proceeds would need to be shared. Sure SANFL can keep footy profits, SACA cricket profits but what about other events. What about Adelaide United? What about a U2 or Robbie Williams? Plus who gets the hire proceeds from outside events.

There will be some cost cutting, thats the one plus. But both the SANFL and SACA would still need their own facilities for admin, teams etc. You wouldn't halve your costs.

I'm not against the idea. In fact it wouldn't greatly affect me either way. I just think its too simple and a little unfair to simply blame administrators for scenario which cannot be changed. IMO Adelaide needs two oval outdoor venues. We need a rectagular outdoor venue and we need a good indoor sports venue.

Reply #216372 | Report this post

Sad  
Years ago

FOOTBALL SUCKS, GET A LIFE LOSERS

Reply #314564 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754