Isaac
Years ago

Cairns Taipans to see out the season

Sounds like the imports could depart, but the rest of the team might stick around and accept the rescue package to play on.

Let's hope this is the last bail-out required this season.

Topic #18384 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Some good news at least

Reply #216176 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Confirmed:

BREAKING NEWS: The Cairns Taipans will play on this season, but without imports Dave Thomas and Larry Abney.

Taipans players voted to accept a 45 per cent pay cut this afternoon but Thomas and Abney were given no option to accept the rescue package organised by Basketball Australia.

The agreement means the Taipans' away game against the Gold Coast Blaze on Saturday night will go ahead.
So, which one could replace Groves at the Dragons? Could see South making use of either. They could bring in Abney to play PF and shift Worthington to SF, plus he could suit as a C in a smaller line-up; or they could go with DT's championship credentials and start him at SF.

Reply #216177 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Hang on, does that say that Thomas and Abney "were given no option to accept" as in, they were NOT ALLOWED TO ACCEPT or is to mean "they were given no option but to refuse, due to their large paycuts."

Strange, it just reads like BA has said, "Hey we'll save you, but lose the imports, we can't afford them, even if they chose to stay..."

Reply #216179 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

sound like that to me.

Reply #216180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wondered if the league could only afford to rescue so much of the team, and preference was given to local players?

Not a huge issue. Can imagine that Abney will head overseas and DT will get a job with the Dragons?

Reply #216181 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i dont know if i am 100% cool with that.

It does sound very coincedental that Tez has been cut loose on the same day that 2 imports that would make the Dragons even better become available.

Cowan doing behind the scenes deals?

I know you could argue that they could cut him and punt on a new guy but having two known quantaties to chose from only a few hours away by plane is very convenient.

I would be very interested to see what Tyndale would be like under Goorj in a hypothetical way as a side suggestion too.

Reply #216188 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Dt has bad knees thesedays right? Didnt he nearly retire after lastseason until the Taipans gave him to good an offer??

Abney can take his bird call and fly off! Liked him for a mmm bop at the Crocs, but has fell a long way off to what he was at Townsville IMO im not even talking stats etc just his overla influence.

Reply #216189 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Kent.... given the news today, Cowan could have cut Groves tomorrow and brought one of them in...what would be the difference?

Reply #216191 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

DT these days is very average at best. bad knees have robbed him of his athleticsm which was always the strong point of his game. id honestly prefer cortez over DT.

Reply #216194 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

No difference, it still would've been fishy. I think Kent was more worried about the BA forcing Thomas and Abney onto the market at such an oppurtune time.

As for Tyndale, I would love to see him get picked up by the Dragons - it wouldn't be a bad fit, consiering his versatility, either.

Reply #216195 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

Abney has already been in contact with the Dragons

Reply #216197 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

is that kinda restraint of trade? if they were willing to take the cut (a big if) why should they not be treated like any other player.

Reply #216203 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

When you're in administration, it's bad luck!

Reply #216204 | Report this post

Zihuatanejo  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Tyndale has landed a gig anywhere? Can't find anything in a search, although I did find this...

http://linky.com.au/1ngkv

Reply #216208 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Says it as it is! Good read.

Reply #216211 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

heard from a Tigers person before the season Dave had a $300k contract with Cairns and that's why he came out of retirement and probably explains why Cairns has gone broke...

Reply #216215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That wouldn't have been the only big contract in Cairns - would've been five this season.

No issue with the Dragons picking them up - out of a job and Goorj might be offering them one.

Also, no problem with the NBL offering a rescue package to those they could afford and prioritising the Australians, and the (likely) slightly more reasonable contracts too. If that's what helped get it done, so be it.

Reply #216245 | Report this post

Years ago

Once again I'll say it. It is a semi professional sport masquerading as a professional sport. What they are being paid now after the cut is the realistic wage for a sustainable club and competition.

Reply #216253 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Good call.
The culmination of players who bleed clubs dry to get paid then whinge when they go broke, and owners who don't know where their boundaries and limits are will screw over any business model they come up with for improvements to the new league.

If they don't implement regular spot checks etc, they are guaranteed to repeat history.

Reply #216294 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

A car analogy:
If someone buys a Lambourghini & defaults on payments. Is it the Lambourghini's fault that it's listed on the repossession market?
Any product will try to attract/exploit the maximum "asking" price, that an insecure market will stretch their budget to justify. If that market hasn't done the homework, it isn't the fault of the product, or the perception that they sell.
In the NBL scheme of things, we've got a pool of quality products. It's a matter of those doling out the money, to work out where it needs to be spent & balance it against a realistic return.
It's a catch 22. Spend money to make money. Don't do it wisely & there's the risk of going bust.
I won't even start on the NBL doing stuff all of anything.

Reply #216307 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Christ not Abney.....please!

He's been woeful every time I've seen him play this season. And WORSE, he doesn't seem to be trying to get better.

Bad playing, bad attitude, from what I've seen.

Reply #216317 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

What have you done with the real DDFan?

Reply #216322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Grantley Bernard puts a number on the five main earners from the Taipans:

The NBL salary cap, $840,000 a team this season, has been an unpoliced joke for years and, so the speculation goes, the Snakes laughed hard by spending about $1.35 million on the five blokes who were supposed to be their starters and take them to a championship.
That's roughly in line with what I've heard over the last few years and when Abney and DT joined.

Bernard put up a lovely piece about playing for the love rather than money, but it's a bit rich when Melbourne's two teams aren't exactly sticking to the cap themselves. Will he ever put the focus on them?

Reply #216339 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754