Anonymous
Years ago

lightnings loss

Surprise surprise!!!! Everyone is very quiet after lightning's loss. What is the train of thought? Are the other teams finding form and will it continue? Lightning are strong but they desperately need another defensive guard.

Marino is good offensively but her defense is crap and they cant use Williams she is not good enough at this level, and its a waste of time having her there. This is going to be trouble for them

Topic #18403 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

didn't even know they had lost, because it wasn't posted till now and yes marino has no defence

Reply #216446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interseting to see Marino take on Poto when they play the flames. She was amazing tonight and scored 30+ points. She will kill Marino!@

Reply #216475 | Report this post

Years ago

stinks - we gave up top spot.

Reply #216500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because we werent good enough. Gave up second spot as well now third. Just not deep enough in he guard dep

Reply #216607 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

Well if we all agree we are not deep enough at guard.. What other options do we have? Phillips was paid not to return as all know, so Marino was always going to be starter which offensively works and defensively doesnt so who could we have got as a backup to compliment her? Anyone out there really good defensively and so could have been brought on when that was the need??

Reply #216622 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

Phillips paid not to return? Can you enlighten me on that?
I find that weird as she is exceptional and i would pay to have her!

Reply #216627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tehy should never have got rid of Mahoney. She is a great defensive player. She is a great team player and an excellent teacher who is strong minded and thats what certain prima donnas in the team couldnt stand.

It lightnings loss though because the other teams have worked out Marino. They just get rough with her and she folds. She is an excellent shooter and quick but she is a sook!!!!

Reply #216630 | Report this post

--  
Years ago

Anon, your 100% right. Teams have Marino worked out! Its plain to see she has only two real courses of action every time she feels the need to create some offence:

1. she drives it to the basket and leans SO FAR into her defender in the hope of drawing the foul that when she finally gets around to shooting the ball, she's either halfway under the ring already or she's fallen over her own two feet.

2. she jacks up a three from the carpark (which she has actually been hitting more often then not this season so I can't exactly complain, apart from it usually being a very low percentage shot)

Now while these two moves *can* be highly effective against teams without the skill (or intelligence) to defend them (ie. young AIS guards ect..), they still dont substitute having a class point guard in your team!

Look at Bulleen for example. Milner does it all for them, and im not talking about scoring! If you ever get a chance to see them, you will see she calls the play as soon as the balls in her hands. She gets the entire team on the same page, makes sure the offence is run effectively and has the ability to create her own shot, dribble penetrate AND pass to the open bigs!

Maybe im ignorant but Adelaide seem to have about 2 whole plays that they run and half the time Marino is to concerned with her own game to organise her players to run them! Thank god for Jess Foleys 'just add water' offence which saves adelaids ass whenever they get into trouble!

Reply #216663 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

Was a higher fee paid for Phillips last year that ensured a no return this year. Most would pay to have her but some (an owner) would prefer not to. But hey she gone so thats it.
Does anyone thing there is a solution to get us through the season with the lack of point guard deepth? Anyone else that can switch in to the 1 to cover for some bits or do we then lose in another areas?
I know it is only two losses in a row and probably not disaster yet but just curious.
Was at Pasadena Tuesday to watch my daughter play and Lightneing was just finishing up training there. Looked intense to the point of catty. Few looks at each other that were bordering on inappropriate but benefit of the doubt and likley they just training hard and getting in to it.
Should be an interesting game this Friday to see if they can rebound or will they go into a the Christmas break in a bit of a slide? Worth going for a look.

Reply #216664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to disagree, at least during the game against the Captials.

When Marino drove to the basket she was often successful.

So, on that effort, you are mistaken that "these two moves *can* be highly effective against teams without the skill (or intelligence) to defend them (ie. young AIS guards ect..)," she demonstrated how to play against the (now) first placed team.

That doesn't mean tnat Adelaide couldn't do with "a class point guard in your team" as a back up.

Reply #216702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree with the post that said Marino was interested in her own game only. To give credit where its due she is a great shooter and very quick, but she will never be a team player, especially in that team.

Foley has been saving their butt but she cant do it on her own and the other teams have them definately worked out. They will never play a team game because their are too many egos in that team and their coach isnt strong enough to control them. It will be their downfall

Reply #216703 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Well, I've been saying it for years. She's being played out of position. She has a pure shooting guard's mentality and that's where she should be played.
Never mind the fact that her height will see her exposed in that spot, but she aint no point guard. She can't think like a genuine point guard, she can't defend, has a sloppy loopy pass, and is too easily worked out. Wallis worked it out in U14's !

Reply #216714 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Marino's dad own the team?

Reply #216743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sad isnt it!!!! Doesnt say a lot for basketball Dont get me wrong she is a fair player but no guts or heart and it makes a difference. The only reason she is starting five is because dad owns the team. She is wnbl level but a bench player only, and a bench player with an attitude

please god find us a point who can actually run the plays

Reply #216829 | Report this post

oh no  
Years ago

Vince was going to have the team making money in it's 3rd yr..... famous last words as the mens team struggle to stay afloat

Reply #216983 | Report this post

oh no 2  
Years ago

well the attitude is inherited but who's side of the family Vince's or Caterina's?

Reply #216984 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754