Ron
Years ago

Taipans Sack Black

Just heard on the J's news spot that after accepting a 45% pay cut only a week ago, Alan Black has been sacked from the Taipans.

Topic #18426 | Report this topic

Ron  
Years ago

Foxsports has the story.

EMBATTLED Cairns Taipans took another body blow late Monday with head coach Alan Black sacked by the club's financial administrators.

Less than 48 hours after leading an under-strength Cairns to an emotional NBL win against Gold Coast, Black was dumped in another cost-cutting measure as Taipans battle to survive.

Ouch!

Reply #216846 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Had to happen really, you cant lead a squad like that to the results they had before the crisis and expect to be safe.

Reply #216847 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So, Black was sacked, stabbed in the back? put on the rack? even though he had a crack?

Reply #216848 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Its also in todays Herald Sun that Vale was caught and has been charged with drink driving

Got caught asleep in his car with the keys in the ignition

Reply #216854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's amazing that at the start of the year the Taipans organization was looking at a possible championship and now they are looking at extinction.

Reply #216873 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

in todays advertiser, he was given no chance to take ar pay cut, or in his words "coach for free"

Reply #216935 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

That's bad form.
Article goes on to say that Black's father recently passed away.
Between that, Alan's sacking and Steve's back injury, that's a rough ride.

Reply #216975 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What are they going to do about a coach if they can't keep theirs even though he has taken a 45% cut? Perhaps Cattalini will be promoted to player/coach and fill 2 roles on one discounted income.

Reply #216990 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"in todays advertiser, he was given no chance to take ar pay cut, or in his words "coach for free""

I thought it said he wasn't given the option of coaching for free.

Reply #217001 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"So, Black was sacked, stabbed in the back? put on the rack? even though he had a crack?"

Nice one Jack, I bet he'll cop some flack about now having to live in a shack due to the money that he lacks. I hope everyone cuts him some slack because in coaching, I thought he had a real knack. Hopefully he cracks another spot somewhere with money stacks because, unlike Joyce, his son Stephen Black is far from a hack. He may have to see a quack to get his mind back on track. But I hope he ends up coaching in a black suit jacket getting some payback rather than in tracky dacks and a backpack eating flapjacks and in the outback.

...ok, I know, too far.

Reply #217002 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, article lists Mark Beecroft as new coach and there is another assistant coach getting involved.

X, they meant that he was given no chance to do x or y.

HAHA, not sure if you read OzHoops but DJRod had an iffy moment where he spoke of Black being seen at the airport in Melbourne in a suit, inferring that Black was possibly having a coaching interview before the Taipans fell apart. Then someone revealed that he was there for the funeral.

Awkward!

Reply #217009 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

No I don't read that forum but maybe I should start having a look around.
It really annoys me how many people in this sport make baseless inferences and assumptions!
So they just assumed that he was going for another coaching job just because of the clothes he chose to wear that day?
The people who made the inaccurate assumption should now feel STUPID, because that's exactly how they look.
If they're not sure, they should ask, or better still, not form a judgement on what Black was doing there- it's his business.
Like they say: when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.
Unbelievable.... what is this world (basketball) coming to?

Reply #217054 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In this case, Rod posted it in more of a wondering manner rather than an assertion (that's how I read it at the time).

Reply #217055 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

HAHA.....Being a little over sensitive.

It's now worse than walking into work in a suit and having someone say the old "Wow.....Job Interview or Funeral?" and have to reply "Actually it was a funeral" and see the look on their face.

Nothing meant by it....It's a fairly standard quip. One that's bitten plenty of people on the butt over the years.

Reply #217133 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

HAHA - Im guessing there might be some people in Brisbane who would say you are making assumptions and commenting out of school when you inferred that the efforts to get the Bullets back up and running are being run by numbnuts and amateurs?

As Dicko said - it was an oversight and I would imagine DJRod appologied pretty quickly.

Reply #217139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:52 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754