STAT
Years ago

Shawn Marion trade rumours

After the Matrix's inability to adjust to the Miami system and his numbers increasingly dropping since the midseason trade last season there has been increasing talk about a possible trade.

A few of the teams he has been linked to are Cleveland, Sacramento and various others.

Personally i would like to see Marion go to Cleveland (sending Wally world and Anderson Varejao to Miami) playing with the Cavs could finally give LeBron the help he needs to reach the next level.

But is it worth disrupting the Cavs chemestry they are currently sitting 20-4? Marion has a history for being a whinging little bitch in the locker room.

What are your thoughts?

Where should he go and why?

and please Quagmire dont mention Amar'e ;)

Topic #18444 | Report this topic

Fezlington  
Years ago

LA should send Radmanovic to Miami for him

Id be happy with that...lol

Reply #217162 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Marion is an average player. The Suns system highlighted all of Marion's skills, and made the most of them. Put him on a team (Miami) where he has to work for his points, and create for himself and he's average. He's been declining statistically for the past 3 years.

His trade value is declining, and really the only benefit of trading for him is his expiring contract. Cleveland have found their mojo and shouldn't shake things up at the moment. They are better keeping Andersen (will probably opt out next season and is only costing 6.2 mill) and Wally (expiring 13 mill contract).

Reply #217164 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

Fez, wouldnt mind him at LA for a walton or rad lol

Reply #217172 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Walton has been ok for us since starting

Radmanovic...for sure.

All he is is a spot up shooter.....cant play defence for shite

Reply #217179 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

TR-I can't believe you claim Marion is an average player when the guy's been known as one of the most versatile player in the league...Him to the Lakers? for Rad or Walton? Hell yeah!

The starting line up

Bench:
-LO
-Matrix
-Ariza
-Farmar
-Vujacic

Dam that can be a starting line-up itself. Doubt it'll happen though

I wouldn't take the trade if I were Cleveland unless they're assuming Lebron leaving in 2010 and only wants to contend for the next 2 years. Because Marion's getting old if they're trying to build a team for the future. Otherwise he'd serve a Pippen for Lebron's MJ for sure

Reply #217186 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

cleveland shuld pull trigger and do this. isnt marion expiring anyway? this culd work with marion and lebron. cleveland need 2 put a case forward 4 lebron to stay and by pushin for a championship and making the final hurdle will b a big boost. 1 question is though do cleveland hav the right offense for marion?

Reply #217192 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Id like to see marion go to the Knicks. Playin for Mikey D is obviously the best thing that ever happened to him an he brings the best out of him. PLus monoey is never a problem in NYC

Reply #217209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought somebody would have mentioned the Knicks by now.

Curry and Marbury could go to Miami.

(I got no idea if this trade is possible, just think both teams could fill immediate needs)

Reply #217211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Retract my first line, STAT pulled the trigger quicker.

Reply #217212 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Bang! Shot you down Anon

lol

But i agree him an D'Antoni were born to be together. Dont think that trade would work with the cap i depends how much space Miami have. Marbury is owed $20mil this season and Matrix $17.something so that might work but throwing Curry would push the price to high.

Not to mention hes fat ;P think of poor Mike Beasley running out for donuts and burgers everyday if Curry was on the team lol.

Reply #217214 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

Marion wouldn't work at the Lakers. Radmanovic plays his role well - spread to opposition D by making the occasional three from the corner. Matrix can't do this consistently enough and would allow the D to help on Gasol, Bynum and Kobe.

We will soon be reading "Shawn Marion's Expiring Contract" in the trade rumours (now that Theo Ratliff's contract has expired and that the previous heir to his title, Ben Wallace, seems to have found a role again.)

Reply #217215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trade to the Blazers for Martell Webster and Channing Frye

Reply #217218 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

i think you guys are overestimating marions ability. He would not make a difference at cleveland or new york as he is simply not good enough. as for being versatile it has been said that he can guard tim duncan and tony parker in the same match. doesnt mean he can stop them though.

Reply #217224 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Miami is just under luxury-tax territory and would be looking to take back less salary than they send out in a trade. A Marion-Marbury swap is feasible under the trade rules but would cost the Heat a chunk in luxury tax money. Any other trade with NYK that sent out less than the Matrix's $17.8M salary would increase the Knicks' already-oppressive luxury tax bill, which is already around the $26M mark. I can't see a trade to the Knicks happening.

The players with salaries in the right ballpark for a straight swap with Marion are:

Joe Johnson, Ben Wallace, Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Kenyon Martin, Tracy McGrady, Michael Redd, Vince Carter, Rashard Lewis, Tim Duncan, Chris Bosh, Jermaine O'Neal, and Andrei Kirilenko.

Before anyone points out the obvious, this list is based purely on salaries, I know the Spurs would never trade Duncan, for example. And I omitted Amare on the grounds I don't think PHX want Matrix back. Also some of these trades would put the Heat into the luxury tax - Iverson is one.

Reply #217225 | Report this post

woody venkat  
Years ago

come on guys the matrix is one of the best defenders of our era why would you care if he chest passes his 3's in

Reply #217264 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Suns system was perfect for Marion's skill. Marion performed exceptionally well in that system. Being versatile doesn't make you a great player. Being versatile means you can play a more all round game and multiple positions. There are heaps of versatile players.

Marion also doesn't justify the coin he's making. At the moment his contract is more valuable to a franchise (17.8 mill expiring) than the 12ppg and 8 rpg and 1.7 apg that he is producing. Those numbers are 'average' in my books.

I won't mention the locker room issues involving his ego whilst he was at the Suns either.

Reply #217267 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Miami won't trade him. They have eyes on the future with Carlos Boozer...

The real question will be which team is going to offer the best contract for his services once he is a FA.

I can see the Bobcats and Coach Brown looking at him.

Maybe he should just go to the spurs and play out his career there as the new Bowen...

Reply #217271 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Bobcats won't pay him what he believes he's worth. Marion will be in for a rude shock came free agent time with certain things working against him.

Clubs saving cash for the 2010 FA class and his production has declined for 3 consecutive years, plus he's getting on in years I think he'll be lucky to pull 4 year $45 mill contract.

Reply #217273 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong TR, i'm not saying the cats are gonna pay a lot for him, i actually think they will just be the team that offers the most for him, which still won't be much at all.

Don't be surprised if he heads to Europe where he can get more cash, better 'star' treatment and his skills as a defender might actually be recognised more.

Reply #217275 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Yo you know how tough it is to average 10 and 8 in the NBA? especially when you're the team's third option. I can name you heaps more player who don't even get that average. Anytime you manage those numbers you'd be a solid player.

Cleveland's going alright for now but they're still missing a legit second go to guy who can produce on a consistent basis other than Lebron. And Marion will do the job as a second option, his numbers will go up just by that.

You don't believe his numbers will go up? How about LO right now, Gasol sick, he gets more opportunity and guess what 17 and 10 and I bring that up because they're similar type of player

Reply #217324 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

LO is more a creator than the Matrix who relies on others to set him up.

If he went to the Cavs, i think he would be just another guy who relies on LBJ to get him involved.

Cavs ain't broken, don't need Matrixin.

Reply #217326 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I could also name a truckload more players that average better numbers than Marion that come a lot cheaper and justify their money.

Marion doesn't work in the Heat system. They don't exploit his skills the same way the Suns system did. Suns had a great PG that would create space and opportunities for Marion. Suns also had a great big man that demanded a double team which helped Marion out, Miami don't have that luxury.

His numbers have still decrease regardless of him being 1st option, 2nd option or 3rd option over the past three years. His minute average hasn't decrease, but everything else has. You don't pay a guy 17.8 million to be the 3rd option.

Reply #217340 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

TR basically nailed it, the teams in the NBA can't justify 18mil a season for a 10 & 8 guy.

Drew Gooden is averaging 13 & 9 and is only costing 7.1 mil.

Reply #217349 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754