Nino
Years ago

Fox Commentary needs to change for next season!

Im probably stating the obvious here, but Carfino is horrible to listen to, and Gaze although he tries, and is doing all he can for the game, is just a dismal full time commentator. He'd make a decent colour sideline comments man AT BEST.

I want to know if im going crazy, so id love peoples opinions? But surely new league and new professional voices for it.

Topic #18445 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Nino you are crazy, does that help you?

Agree though that they commentary is pretty average, i do enjoy Gaze's goofiness at times.

Had a discussion iwith a few people once before about how the commentary makes the game and how i think that it is no coincedence that Fox has been part of the sport the whole time it has been on the decline.

Richie and the commentary team with cricket, Phil Ligitt (sp?) and cycling and Murray Walker and F1 all help / helped to make the sport more of a spectatcle.

One thing that does particularly annoy me about Fox is there lack of acknowledgement of a great pass. Some great passes happen every year that get nothing more than player x gets it to player y.

If that was in the NBA you could see Van Gundy going on and on for three plays about how good a pass was.

Reply #217174 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

keep Gaze, i was only just thinking how much he could actually bring the game back with that enthusiasm for the game, and it is there in his voice...

Carfino is like listening to boiling water..Brett maher, gaze and some one to anchor it....

Reply #217175 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't have fox, but I watched Aust v Iran game, played in Adelaide, live on fox, at my son's place.
And, I was so impressed with Brett Maher.
I thought he would great. If he wants to do it, he would be my choice.

Reply #217177 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Its more Carfino that hurts my eardrums. Makes too many mistakes, just called Andrew Gaze, Andrew Vlahov.... enough said. All I can think is he may be nervous. Just hope this issue is addressed in the offseason, because IMO its a major one!

Reply #217183 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Brett doing games played in Adelaide, maybe.

Reply #217184 | Report this post

steve  
Years ago

i like Carfino, i think Gaze & Carfino work well together. Gaze is hilarious!!!

Reply #217189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erik "Watto" Watterson did a great job calling the Adelaide v Perth game on the audio streaming from Perth. Knew his basketball and was very good describing the play by play. Suit him up with Gaze and it would be a good mix of enthusiasm and quality.

Reply #217205 | Report this post

The Admiral  
Years ago

We may not have a league too commentate on !!!!

Reply #217217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love Gazy always makes me smile when he gets really excited and usually delivers atleast once piece of "gold" in each match Ive seen on fox.

Reply #217219 | Report this post

bron  
Years ago

i think that carfino and gaze are both awesome and you guys should give them a break

Reply #217221 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Bring back Casey....

Reply #217250 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

You know what would be awesome. Bringing in American commentators. Their accents are sweet, and i like listenting to American commentry( ala NBA and College commentators)

Reply #217258 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Carfino is not good! Can't stand him

Reply #217270 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I love these 2 goofballs - it is getting into the realm of "so bad it's good".

Reply #217278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how about john rillie when he retires?

Reply #217291 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Clinton Grybas and Michelle Timms were a great commentary team. RIP Clinton.

Reply #217292 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

I agree with SVD, it is in that realm. No matter what, I think you have to keep Gaze. He brings a lot to the table from a purely basketball sense and is also very entertaining.

Brett Maher would be good.
Derek Rucker has been serviceable in the past.
Jason Smith might be an option.

PS: If you think Gaze and Carfino are bad, try listing to Drew Morphett on ABC radio when he commentates sixer games with Pat Mickan. It's so bad you can't believe it.

Reply #217295 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

I don't think you should be putting two former players out there without a trained pro commentator.

Look at all the American shows, they have some ex-players making calls, but use a pro guy to tie it all together and keep the slow talk and pauses and ummss and arrs from happening.

Gaze is a must keep, he is a recognisable face to the sport, sign on an ex player with some skills- i wonder what Kevin Brooks would be like?

And most importantly, find a guy that can be the anchor for it all. That is key.

Reply #217298 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruce Palmer!

Reply #217300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Drew Morphett!?!?!

I think you mean Peter Walsh.

Reply #217301 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I doubt that he does mean Peter Walsh who doesn't always do them these days. Peter is great but is hard to follow, hence the DM comment I guess.

Reply #217304 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Dana, you are right about Grybas, he was in a league all by himself and he is sadly missed.

Anon, I also agree that Watto was great to listen too, and I thought he was relatively neutral as well.

If the American accent is good for a laugh, then I suggest bringing in a foul-mouthed Irishman. Or some guy doing a Yoda impression "turnover it is, reckless that was, hehehe".

But Carfino has got to go. He's had his time, he was passable as the special comments guy, but he's just no good as a broadcaster. And he finished playing like 20 years ago, we have to be able to get someone a bit more recent. I thought Derek Rucker was ok each time I heard him.

Reply #217316 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

The bloke from the 12th man

Reply #217362 | Report this post

david  
Years ago

Carfino cant be doing commentary just special comments I thought he complemented Casey well but they need someone, well next season they will need quite a few more commentators covering every game LIVE!! Maybe Maher, Bradtke Casey (maybe) guys like that get a gig commentating.

Reply #217422 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754