Anonymous
Years ago

South Dragons new import - anyone know who?

Anyone know who the dragons are looking at to replace Cortez Groves? Both Abney and Thomas appear to be out of the picture and I haven't seen any other names floating around?

Topic #18461 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Derrick Low is one that has been spoken to. In the Herald Sun yesterday it was mentioned that the Dragons wanted to have the new guy signed and ready to go by tomorrow nights game. So surely if that is going to happen, someone must've been picked up by now.

Reply #217481 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

do people think that Tyndale would have worked under Goorjian if he had still been here, to me he would suit the guy they are after.

Does not need to be a star, just a hustle guy who can get the ball to the right person and play good d.

Plus Tyndale probably could have benefited from Gorj's angry style of encouragement.

Reply #217483 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

Exactly, I think Tyndale would be great under Goorj. Low, however, would be a terrible option.

Reply #217487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the Dragons don't pick up Low. I would prefer a big, legitimate hard man power forward that can score and rebound consistently. Someone that can bust some heads.

With Gibson, Carter, Dillon, Ingles and Herbert I think we are ok in the 1 and 2 spots.
Wortho and Darden should have the 3 spot covered, Mika should back up the 4 and Horvath and Burston are a great 5 man combo.

I would like to see:

Gibbo/Carter/Dillon
Ingles/Herbert/Carter
Wortho/Darden/Mika
IMPORT/Mika/Dards or Wortho
Burston/Horvath

I think that would provide even greater flexibility for different line ups than another guard might. I would prefer to get bigger to face the Tigers and the Breakers in the playoffs.

Reply #217491 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

They're after a swingman type AFAIK.

Reply #217495 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that Goorjian would stand for fumbled passes too often?

Reply #217498 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I think the fact that Nick Horvath is there would dispute that claim, Isaac.

Reply #217499 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

There were suggestions that Abney was going to fill the spot.

Reply #217501 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Nope.....his manager contacted the Dragons and they said no.

Thomas was at least spoken to, but injury concerns got in the way.

Either Draper or Low, or someone new. Best guess anyway.

Reply #217503 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's true re Horvath, though him not taking up an import spot would keep him in a job for a bit.

Reply #217506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why they are feeling the need to consider either Draper or Low. Surely we don't need another point guard or a 2 guard in point guards body.

Hopefully someone new.

Reply #217507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There hasn't been any mention of Draper in the press - is there anything to substantiate this?

Reply #217511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the dragons said they're looking at a player with recent nba experience... ive heard they're looking at luke jackson and david noel

Reply #217514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noel was known as a defensive stopper in college, so may well fit the Goorjian mould. Also a high flyer, having won the 06 NCAA Slam Dunk Comp so im sure Cowan would also find him an appealing prospect due to potential marketability.

Reply #217520 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Definately not Draper, he's signed with a Belgian team, apparently he's getting paid in cases of stella artois, every point, assist rebound, steal etc earns him a case.

Reply #217523 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I'd be up to 150kg before I couldn't earn any more due to complete lack of being able to move effectively.

Mmmmmm....Stella

Reply #217531 | Report this post

Cal  
Years ago

cmon dicko, surely u know something, only just over 3 hours till close of business with a game tomorrow, spill the beans

Reply #217532 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

#217511:

"There hasn't been any mention of Draper in the press"

If Mike Chappell didn't have an iron deficiency, he would've walked it in.

Reply #217533 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Chappell would have as much chance of walking it in as you would in ironing out your deficiencies . JJ , DD .

Reply #217535 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Funny....Luke Jackson and David Noel are the same names Adelaide used to send up a smokescreen whilst they were signing Hodge.

HODGE TO DRAGONS?!?!?!??!?!!

:-)

Reply #217536 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

There is an AWFUL lot of secrecy around this one.

Will be VERY intersting to see what happens.

Reply #217537 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

: ) rotateonthis.

Reply #217540 | Report this post

Cal  
Years ago

ok dicko, do u at least know if there will be an announcement today, otherwise i'll go have an early night..

Reply #217541 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Mate....no idea....it seems to be a HUGE secret

Reply #217543 | Report this post

Cal  
Years ago

aalright mate, cyaat the game then.

Reply #217544 | Report this post

dfsgjh  
Years ago

Dragons Sign Newley..........................

Reply #217546 | Report this post

Cal  
Years ago

your talking shit

Reply #217550 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Just for interest sake.......didn't we sign Newley for 3 years?? Although he was picked up in the second round NBA and is playing in Greece, doen't the contract with us prevent him from being able to play for anybody else in the NBL????

Reply #217552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont think they hold like the rights would in the nba.

Reply #217556 | Report this post

Monsignor Cappo  
Years ago

Once Newley went to Greece his contract would've been effectively torn up. He could come back here and sign with anyone he likes. It was like after the demise of the Victoria Titans when Jason Smith signed with Brisbane but then took up the option to go to Italy. When he came back he signed with the Sydney Kings. Similar also to Mark Bradtke leaving us and then ending up going to Melbourne.

Reply #217564 | Report this post

Cal  
Years ago

Clearly Newley is not an import

Reply #217576 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

they don't need to get an import, anyone can fill that spot. I don't see why he would come back though. He seems to be doing well from what i see on here, why would he seemingly take a step back.

Reply #217587 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Has Khazzouh been signed yet? He's not the type of player they'd be lookig for but Goorj loves these Boomer-projects and I bet Julian would love to increase his chances by playing with him.

Reply #217596 | Report this post

peter  
Years ago

I imagine Newley's contract would have been similar to Rogers. He went overseas while signed to a long term contract with 36ers but was able to sign with Wildcats on return to NBL

Reply #217640 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

A swingman...not an ex-NBLer...Getting on a plane early next week and they will announce when he's confirmed as on the plane.

Hodge-like is the plan....a player who can play multiple positions, and will bring excitement and (hopefully) put bums on seats.

AS I said to Mr Cowan....no problem...They're a dime a dozen :-)

Reply #217695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice! Thanks for sharing Dicko

Reply #217705 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:47 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754