Fezlington
Years ago

Lakers guard Farmar needs surgery

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- A doctor recommended surgery for Los Angeles Lakers guard Jordan Farmar, who hurt his left knee last week against the Miami Heat.

Team doctor Steve Lombardo examined Farmar on Monday in Los Angeles and confirmed the guard has a torn lateral meniscus. The team said Farmar has not decided whether to have surgery, and it's unclear how long he will be out.

"We're not happy about it, obviously, but this is what we go through in an NBA season," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "That's why we have a roster. We have guys who can play, and backup people who can help. We hope we get guys to support us now that Jordan is gone and will be for a while."

Farmar was hurt Friday in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 89-87 loss to the Heat. The former UCLA star was averaging 7.9 points and 2.4 assists in nearly 20 minutes backing up Derek Fisher.

Because Farmar could be out for 6-8 weeks, Jackson said the Lakers were considering acquiring a player with quickness and speed to help spell Fisher in his absence

Bad news for the Lakers

Out 6-8..maybe longer

Who is available for the Lakers to look at?

Topic #18508 | Report this topic

LA Boy  
Years ago

it's us! of course it'd be 8+week!It's funny to hear Phil say that, I'd rather just spread the minutes around more to the current roster. Or I don't mind Marbury if the Knicks buy him out! (I know he's got all the bad reputation but Phil's coached Rodman! and plus we got Kobe above him to bring down his ego)

Reply #217997 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

I'd give their young Chinese draftee, S. Yue, a go and see how he handles playing some minutes against quality opposition.

Reply #218001 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I was going to suggest that too! he played well in Olympics!

Reply #218002 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

I actually wouldn't mind Starbury either but I doubt It'll happen.

Otherwise, give more PG mins to Kobe, Sasha and Odom. I haven't seen much of Sun Yue but I doubt he'll get more than garbage minutes.

There are plenty of guys who can cover for Jordy.

Reply #218004 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

NOOOO!!

Marbury come help us out!

Reply #218005 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Sasha aint no PG

Sun Yue played garbage minutes a few games back, and picked up 4-5 fouls in a few minutes

He aint upto it

Lakers need to find another option and Fast!

I wouldnt mind Marbury....he would provide the second unit with some scoring punch

What other Vets out there are available

Reply #218025 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

lakers can re-sign my old favourate nick van exel! ok i can dream, but seriously how about resigning coby karl? the problem with signing somebody now is it will take them more than 8 weeks to learn the triangle. coby has had experience running it last year, maybe he can be an option. or better yet did i mention van exel is a free agent?

Reply #218027 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Lakers have a recent history of misdiagnosing and mistreating injuries (eg. Bynum), so hope Jordan gets a second opinion, otherwise it'll be 4-6months before you see him again ...

Reply #218032 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

jordans had a second opinion by the club and has been told surgery is a must.

the lakers now have NO pg backup at all.

sasha is a 2 man.

sun yue is NOT up to it by far.

coby carl is a NO didnt cope last year.

hopefully LA play this one right!.

Reply #218036 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Now I wish we can somehow make another steal on J-Critt, I loved his game from day 1; his just been in the wrong place at the wrong time

Reply #218039 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Yeah J-Critt would be handy right about now

Coby Karl wasnt too bad in the limited minutes he played

But again..he is a SG

Lakers now have some serious problems at the PG position

Reply #218066 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Sasha is a SG but has run he point in the past effectively.

Lamar Odom played point-forward for two entire years for the Lakers (back in the Smush Parker days before D-Fish).

Kobe can do whatever the Lakers need and often plays the point towards the end of close games anyway.

Then there's Luke Walton who is by no means a PG but can be a great playmaker and ballhandler from SF.

Reply #218080 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

thats all fine XztatiK but LA still need that back up guard which they have said they are looking for asap.

Reply #218093 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

what about smush parker? he started for them a few years ago, is familiar with the player and system. im not exactly sure if he is a free agent or not.

Reply #218099 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

do you have any clue how much we hate him in the city?

XztatiK- I quite agree with Sasha running PG and me too thought he's done a fair job doing so in the past. Especially he does show to have some kind of hassel defense going on against his opponents.

At the end of the day, Phil's offense in the past never had a "true" PG running the show; but rather relied on the point-forward (Pippen) so I really don't think it'd be a massive problem even if we don't find a replacement.

Reply #218104 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754