Anonymous
Years ago

Cricket: wrong guys gone?

Followed the test team for a while through thick and thin and have wondered over the past 2 or 3 years if the selectors and coach are not the real reason we are in decline.
The selectors include one who hooked his way to test oblivion, a lion hearted bowler but whose major claim to fame was tonguing his captain's ear and a coach who looks afraid of the dark and doesn't cast a shadow in test company.
They have overseen the exclusion of a bowlers like Nofke who ripped it year in year out and couldnt crack the test team. They have protected the country's best spinner from turning tracks in India and no one knows his whereabouts to this day (Casson). They have dumped the big turning 'Crazy' for the, 'can't get a game at state level in NSW', Hauritz!The list of their faux pas is endless.
They ignore present form, in favour of last years efforts and reward guys a season too late. They have become obsessed with batting left handers and can't explain their decisions in any rational way.
To top it off they reward Nielsen with a further two year contract as coach despite him overseeing such a mess.
Not since Kim Hughes cried his way out of test cricket has Australian cricket been such a headless mess. A captain under performing in all aspects of his game and responsible to a large part for the revolving door selection policy.
I don't mind regeneration and average performances but for ^%&&* sake, stick with some players long enough for us to learn their first names and introduce some selectors who were solid players and thinkers of the game not those whose collective IQ is unlikely to exceed double figures.

Topic #18518 | Report this topic

squid  
Years ago

What a wonderful post Anon! Could not agree more with what you have said.
The selectors may say that we need the likes of Hayden and Lee (and Ponting for that matter), but one has to ask the question, what would we really lose by leaving these guys out? We may even get some people who actually perform on a consistent basis, that's about all!
I am sure that if they keep Hayden in for long enough, he will make a run, but how much longer can he be persevered with. Sure he still has a good record, but so has Neil Harvey, but I doubt if they will pick him!

Reply #218050 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I haven't followed the cricket much lately or know the talents of the current players. However, I was wondering is it a good idea to leave the spinner out of the side? Sure he didn't perform in WA but that is a fast bowlers wicket I am pretty sure so he wasn't suited for it (maybe on the last day its meant to be good there). So maybe it would be worth keeping him in the side for this test at least? What do others think?

Reply #218070 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

It is quite funny how Hayden can be terrible for 6-12 months and still stays in the side, and the new spinner has one good test, then an ordinary one and is dropped. Ponting may have a slightly better case, because he is the leader, and made some runs last test, but his form hasn't been good either.

Why not give hayden a bat in the state league to get some confidence back, mite make him try to earn his spot back, and will give more of the state leaguers hope that if they do play well, they will get a crack in the big time!

seems one of the only sports in the world where the selectors tolerate poor form.

Reply #218077 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Ashley Noffke not getting a test gig in the Windies was criminal.

Reply #218091 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Agreed with all the above posts. News just in from Baggygreen suggests only one change, Hauritz for Krejza, meaning Lee and Siddle continue to hold their place, despite the fact that neither could get ME out at the moment. Neither moves the ball at all, and the guy who has been left out (Hilfenhaus) could swing a f*ck*ng brick!

The selectors are basically showing the same level of professionalism as you would expect from the piss-head old timers at a local turf club. Not good enough.

Reply #218118 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Thats pathetic. I dont mind Lee staying in but Siddle? Surely Hilfenhaus should be given a shot. Pathetic

Reply #218120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly the selectors have reaffirmed their stupidity by making only one change for the series deciding game. We are back to the bad old days when you had to be closer to 30 to get a game and incumbents had to die to lose their place in the team. Siddle and Lee are not bankable wicket taking options, Hauritz is at best a container but will struggle to keep the runs down against the SA team who will come at him , and he cant take wickets against state sides.
Ponting has been exposed as a shallow captain spoiled by riches in past series and devoid of plans with an ordinary side.
Channel nine could just replay the Perth test tomorrow because the result will be the same. Maybe when the series is lost they might pick a team that is selected on current form and not past glory or worse still because you are from the state the test is in.

Reply #218125 | Report this post

squid  
Years ago

Nice knock by Hayden yet again! Not his fault as such, he simply should not have been picked. But he should do the right thing now and retire!

Reply #218141 | Report this post

aaronbrucefan  
Years ago

i think hauritz shuld of been given a go in the side ages ago. its bout time he got a run in the side. hayden shuld be dropped. if a player looses form drop him n it will allow him to gain form back in state cricket. that way more people get a chance to show their skills

Reply #218206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:36 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754