skull
Years ago

Who will be the new CEO?

does anybody have any news on a deadline and who it might be ??
the person will need to be an 80 percent top notch business person and 20 p/c b,ball.
the nbl on floor product is very good,the new ceo is going to need a big broom and a magic wand to fix the off court problems!!

Topic #18530 | Report this topic

DJRod  
Years ago

Vlahov

Reply #218161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I sincerely hope, with all of my heart, that it is not Vlahov. Pack it all up now if it is him.

Reply #218162 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

surely vlahov would not be eligible being an owner.
i dont think it is that important that they are an ex player,that expertise comes down the ranks and is also very very important (gaze etc).

Reply #218163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vlahov hasn't been an owner of perth for years. he is qualified he has degree in business, perth were successful under his ownership, he is well respected.

Reply #218165 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what is his role with perth ?? similiar to gaze and melbourne?
he certainly new how to put bums on seats,has a strong personality and a presence about him.
he ticks a lot of boxes as ceo material,his business skills would need to be spot on !!

Reply #218166 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

i have to say i wouldn't be too disappointed if it was Vlahov.
he is passionate and will get people talking, get the game back on the front foot.

Reply #218169 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Hoff hates Kiwis, that can't be good for the league.

Reply #218171 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

oh well,hopefully he loves b,ball more than he hates kiwi's

Reply #218173 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I have a problem with Vlahov in that he may show bias towards Perth and that would not be in the best interest of the whole league. Perhaps an American business person with knowledge of what makes the NBA successful may have some valuable input into making the NBL a success.

Reply #218178 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Whatever dd.

Reply #218180 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I will stick pins in my eyes and set myself on fire in Rundle Mall if it's Vlahov.
I am sick and tired of ex players with massive egos and no tangible real world experience in management (despite a piece of paper from well over a decade ago at Stanford) who can't translate that into results that take even highly skilled gurus a long time to master.
No more basketball for me if it's Vlahov and I agree about the Perth bias- they might as well get Groves in as CEO- I'm sure he wouldn't show any bias to Brisbane either if they got him in! (not)

Reply #218181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC we tried that and got Rick Burton. Epic Fail.

Reply #218183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe he means an American businessman with a brain?

Reply #218189 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

That's right- there's only one external person that they've hired who was a bad egg, but craploads who are hired from within who've been bad eggs and sent the sport nationally, back to the dark ages, but because they're internal that must make it ok...

Reply #218191 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

A:

"Whatever dd"

You have noth'n.

NB: Think about it, or you'll fall flat.

Reply #218202 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i dont think the american thing will work either,the nbl will never work with an nba style attitude,its very un australian !!
we can certainly use some of there marketing ideas though.
one of the positives about the poor state of our league, off the court, is that there are models of how it could work all around the world, we should utilize them.
lithuania must have an interesting programme with such a small population.
HAHA- you are right,for the last say 25 yrs b,ball in oz has been propped up by mums and dads and same who took positions in places they had no experience in simply to fill the spot,some of these people are still in main positions.
its time to move on from the dark ages thats why the new ceo is so important!!

Reply #218203 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

The CEO needs to be a business person, not a basketball person as a priority - if they have some basketball background great, but it is likely to be more of a hinderance if they look for that.
Someone from outside the sport could really bring some fresh ideas and fresh thinking, which is certainly what the sport needs.
Whoever it is will have to be someone strong as basketbal would be one of the worst sports to work for, especially at the moment. While I am one of the passionate people to, can you imagine if it was your job and had these such forums and a very vocal group always looking to bag every decision??? Thankfully that doesnt happen in most of our jobs.
Main thing BA need to do is pay the money needed to ensure they get someone who can actually take this sport back to being a top second-tier sport and begin to flourish again.

Reply #218208 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i agree someone outside the sport would be good, fresh ideas etc.(please no more singapore ideas for now)
its about the money to attract the right person with the right off court skill set.

lets break it down a little-

*you have a great on court product

*you only have to add another 1500 to 2000 punters to each game

i would have thought for the right person it would be a reasonable challenge and look good on an up and coming ceo's regime.

goodwakeup- bad decisions are there to be bagged in public jobs,good ceo's take it on the chin,learn and move on !!

Reply #218211 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

good wake up- that's exactly right I actually had a conversation with somebody in the league about this and he also said it needs to be a real business person.

that Vlahov guy sounds like a Mark Cuban type guy; as much as I hate Cuban but that's the type of person this league needs!

Reply #218214 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Richard Branson anyone? Someone in his mould would be great.

Reply #218237 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

skull it's not the mums and dads that took the jobs in basketball that are the problem- I meant the ones who play at a pro or semi pro level etc that are already involved in the game in some form that take jobs in basketball and really don't grasp the concept of the amount of power they weild by having jobs they don't utilise and don't connect with what consumers want.
They are meeting their own needs to a certain degree- sustaining their interest in the game, but limited concepts of how to treat the sport as a business as I've said time and time again in other threads.
They need professionals employed in every facet of the game.

I know of people in Brisbane who are there simply through their connections, not because they actively understand or practice professionalism and being business-focussed in the tasks they do no matter how small and insignificant- they are there because they know the right people who got them their job and it's just a hobby they happen to work in, which is not good enough.

You can't take up valuable space in a job simply because it's a hobby you like without treating it like your part of the business.
Liking it on the side isn't a good enough reason to not do enough and not consider business perspectives, customer service or professionalism.

Reply #218316 | Report this post

good wake up  
Years ago

I agree Skull a high profile job will always attract attention and backlash if not happening correct. Was more trying to say I hope they pay enough to get someone who can look past this. The guys/gals making the decision need to not try and pick someone they think is politically correct and might not cause angst, instead put the money there and get the best business leader the can - no matter what bcklash they get for the decision. Comment was more aimed at them than the person who actually becomes the CEO.

There would be some really good Operations Managers or the like in other sports who would be looking for a CEO job and should be investigated. Someone who comes in knowing they want to make it work and make the sport a success os they can move on to a bigger sport (AFL or Soccer) or Olympic Committee.....

Reply #218496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vlahov has run a relatively small business in a relatively small market to some moderate success. The NBL needs a massive overhaul guided by some brilliant foresight, outside the square thinking and genuine experience. I see nothing on Vlahovs resume that suggests he can do that. It's thinking way too small, IMO. And yes, not ANOTHER ex-player, ex-club administrator with a history in a long failed league. Does BA/NBL never learn a thing? Past NBL-BA experience should be considered a negative, not a positive.

Reply #218562 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I'd be looking to poach someone from the AFL...they continue to go from strength to strength.

Reply #218575 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754