steve
Years ago

Dave Thomas back to Melbourne

Gotta feel sorry for Grizzard. He's had solid numbers this season, i dont think this a good move for the tigers. Thomas has injury problems, and Grizz was the only standout player in there loss to Adelaide.

Topic #18544 | Report this topic

Rat10  
Years ago

Wow, incredible move from the Tigers given Grizzard's numbers and the fact that DT hasn't been fully fit for some time. We know what DT is capable of but he looked very average against us in the game against Cairns.

Bringing in Kendall is fair enough given their point guard play but does anyone else think that this is a massive overreaction?

Reply #218534 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Kendall/Crosswell
Ebi/Corletto
Barlow/Tommy Greer
Hoare/DT?
Anstey/Johnson

Will they start Kendall or DT??

Losing a bit of size by replacing Mackinnon and Grizzard with DT and Kendall

Reply #218535 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

they are just trying to get points, not soze...Grizzle will get picked up..

Reply #218539 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - didn't see it coming.

Reply #218540 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Can someone please explain to me how this works and how it all fits under the salary cap. Firstly Grizzard would have to be paid out for the season as his performance did not breach his contract. Secondly, by paying out a player does that not still count towards the salary cap? If so, what money is left to pay a replacement player? I can only think that Thomas was paid out by Cairns and can now play for nothing for the Tigers, however with Cairns' financial problems, how could they pay out a contract and then leave themselves undermanned by not using this player? I am confused. Surely this would go against the principal of the salary cap. If not, clubs with the money to burn would have an advantage as though the salary cap did not exist. Sydney Kings under Goorjian were notorious for doing this and look where they are now. Is this type of move going to see a gradual demise of our league?

Reply #218543 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cutting Grizzard does not mean his remaining pay counts against the cap. Adelaide had to pay out Tyndale don't forget, but that didn't count against the cap either. When we got Hodge, did you think that was pushing towards a dismal failure of the league?

Reply #218545 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

DT for Grizz article: http://linky.com.au/m1gvv

So whilst I can find evidence to support the DT for Grizzard move, where is the evidence of Kendall joing the fray?

Reply #218546 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Sammy Mack out Kendal in.
Grizzard out DT in.

Not ALL players have no cut clauses like Tyndale somehow managed?! But even if they do once they are cut their pay would no longer count towards the cap.
Why all the harping on the Tigers and the cap, it was done enough pre-season now they are in my mind downgrading their roster and were still digging into them. Let's enjoy the season.

Reply #218550 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Grizzard didnt fit into the Tigers offensive structure, even though he scored well and has some great talent they didnt utilise his strengths at all! Bringing in DT will make them weak going to the bench, not that Grizzard played much inside anyway. Pressumng Westover was pretty happy with the way Daniel Johnson has been playing and he will see some more minutes.

1 Kendall/Croswell
2 DC
2/3 Ebe/Barlow/DT
4 Hoare
5 Anstey/Johnson

That 4 spot is pretty weak, considering they played Hoare (one of the most efficient players in the league) for only 28 minutes against the Sixers when he was actually playing well!

Be interesting to see how they go now, they have a bit of time until their next game Jan 11 vs Wildcats. That series is tied at 1 a piece and could well come into play at season's end for ladder positions.

Reply #218552 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Apologies for consecutive posts.
Imagine if the Dragons had yet to sign their 2nd import and now picked up Grizzard, he would be a great fit for them!

Maybe they can cut Donte ;-) Just to add a bit more flair to it all.

Reply #218554 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

How about a mutual swap of Donte & Ebi?
For some Tigs fans, it'd be anyone for Ebi. ; )

Reply #218557 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Must say I was surprised Ebe wasnt the one cut, it's a position they have pretty well covered and even more so now with DT coming in.

Reply #218572 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Agreed DJ. I see Ebi as the major problem, a nose ahead of Al. I've NEVER seen an NBL player enter the court wearing headphones (MP3, whatever) until the Tigs last visit here, does he do that regularly, or was it a Dome thing?

Reply #218578 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

How freakin dumb can people be???

Finally, they actually had a solid team when they signed a PG, and now they throw all that away for yet another swingman - and one who is not 100% fit.

Could've had:

Anstey
Grizzard
Ere
Barlow
Kendall

now have:

Anstey
Hoare
Ere
Barlow/DT
Kendall

Wouldn't it be funny if they started DT over Kendall and continued with the problem they've had all season - no PG.

Yesterday I was thinking the Tigers are now up there with NZB, STH & the Sixers as contenders but now they're screwed.

Oh well...

Reply #218607 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

They should have dumped Ere for Kendall and Kept Grizzard.

Kendall
Thomas
Barlow
Grizzard
Anstey

That lineup would put Barlow back in the 3 spot where he belongs.

Reply #218706 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Barlow isn't any more effective at SF than he is at SG. And how is Thomas more of a SG than Ebi??? DT plays taller than Barlow and Ere - if they did what you recommend Barlow would still be playing SG.

Reply #218711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754