hereschenes
Years ago

NBA may as well not have travelling

http://linky.com.au/br714

21 seconds in... I mean, if that's a legal move then basketball becomes a fundamentally different game. There's definitely 4 steps there after the dribble is picked up, possibly 5.

I know it's not original to whinge about travelling in the NBA, but things like this are part of the fact that the current league's appeal seems to be mostly lost on the general public, in my opinion. Everything is geared towards pure athleticism, instead of encouraging the skills-and-finesse game which made 80s-90s NBA so good to watch.

Thoughts? Am I just being a grumpy old man? Not trying to bash LBJ here - it's not his fault that they don't call it.

Topic #18553 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Am I just being a grumpy old man"

No, you are dead right. That was absolutely laughable!

Reply #218619 | Report this post

Samba  
Years ago

Probably not bad enough to start a topic over. Shawn kemp in the early '90's dunk against the Golden state warriors was a huge travel, and from then on i just accepeted thats how the NBA is to be reffed.

Reply #218623 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Yes, not saying it's the worst one ever or anything Samba. Just in general, I'm sick of it and it gave me an opportunity to rant. :)

Reply #218624 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

I agree with you hereschenes was watchin the Celtics play the other day and Ray Allen caught on a break outside the 3 line and ran to the hoop, 2 points.

Reply #218627 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Look up travelling on youtube by NBA players. It is absolutely ridicolous. D-Wade is a huge traveller. When he does that spin dribble, he plants his pivot foot then lifts it again before dribbling or shooting.
Refs never call travel on D-Wade.

Reply #218628 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ewing travelled sometimes in his day with his spin move to the basket.

Many players @ NBA level get away with it.

Reply #218630 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Interesting how they didnt travel at the olymips though, so its obvious that the players know that they are getting away with it and they just take advantage of the ridiculous reffing.

Reply #218631 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

They actually have a different travel rule, something to do with having a "two count" rather than two steps, as below :
Possibly a ref count interpret what the difference is from our rules ?

Section XIV-Traveling
a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
The first count occurs:
(1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
(2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
The second occurs:
(1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.

Reply #218636 | Report this post

Boom Patrol  
Years ago

and now for probably the most blatant travel of all time

Reply #218637 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

AAAHAHAHA!

I counted 8.

Who was that?

Reply #218639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

that was Dan Majerle I think

Reply #218641 | Report this post

hahaha!

Reply #218645 | Report this post

Did you see the top 10 for today

number 10, brandon bass takes 3 steps before he even takes a dribble

Reply #218646 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

its funny because apparently they relax the travel rule if it means more high lights eg big dunks, but i went 2 a portland vs philly game last year and brandon roy took three steps before a dunk in the open court and it is honestly the ugliest thing i have ever seen so im not sure how that makes the game more viewer friendly but oh well.

BTW i heard the other day that the travel rule is to be relaxed as per the new fiba rules, eg if a player travels in the open court and by doing so he gains no advantage nor disadvantages the opposition the travel shale be let go.

If its true does anyone think we might see some of those ugly three step dunks in the NBL anytime soon?

Reply #218652 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Hmm... I don't really understand that two-count stuff. Interesting though.

I hope we don't start seeing big dunks rewarded with travels here any time soon, personally. I feel like at least the Adelaide crowd has a reasonably high amount of basketball purists who that wouldn't go down well with. Can't speak for other NBL crowds because I've not been to a game elsewhere.

That Majerle one is classic! I love it how Marv Albert just keeps crapping on, doesn't even notice.

Reply #218657 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Surely they can't relax the rule like that? Hopefully they word it a bit better.
Otherwise you will get some idiot on the break who will pick up the dribble once he is out open before the three point line and try and get away with it on the stupidity of relaxing a rule to create highlights (sure it wont happen much bust some idiot will try to test the rules).

By travelling they are gaining an advantage EVERY single time, because they couldnt dribble far enough to get to the rack.

Reply #218658 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Agreed. Travelling is something that really annoys me while watching NBA.
Every game you will see examples of square ups where the player catching the ball changes pivot foot, or travels while jab-stepping - I think those examples should be called.

And that Lebron example is crazy. If you did that anywhere else in the world, people would laugh at you and it would be called. Neither the crowd or commentators even notice these things. Im not sure that example could even be justified as an NBA '2-count'!!

Im done.

*sigh* I feel a little better now.

Reply #218673 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Assist to the Ref???

Assist

Reply #218678 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

or this behind the back pass by a Ref....

Behind the Back

Reply #218679 | Report this post

How could i forget this beauty

Reply #218690 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

LOL!! That is awesome, ELG.

Reply #218692 | Report this post

I dont know what i find more amusing

The travel, the fact vlad rad got a steal, or Paul pierce's jersey pop after he has his pass intercepted, and complete lack of getting back on D. And hes the self proclaimed best player ever.

Reply #218693 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Do you honestly think Kobe Bryant would be as big as his is now without travelling?

I still plenty of ball carrying happening nowadays. The last time I saw someone called for carrying was AI back in the 2007 All-Star game in Houston.

Since the "Pro-Hop" became an accepted medium of driving to the hoop, travel calls have been dialled back. Then again, Stern probably pays enough to the refs to have them turn a blind eye to the majority of calls.

Reply #218701 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

ELG if he doesnt have control of the ball its not a travel

Reply #218710 | Report this post

Ace of spades  
Years ago

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IUtf6-avo2c

i've never realized how much the league loves the celtics til this.

Reply #218714 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"Do you honestly think Kobe Bryant would be as big as his is now without travelling?"

Piss off Marty, what a stupid question. Yes I do think Kobe would be as big as he is now without travelling.

Kobe doesn't travel any more than the average NBA player.

Reply #218717 | Report this post

what are you talking about, STAT?

Reply #218727 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

"Do you honestly think Kobe Bryant would be as big as his is now without travelling?"

"Piss off Marty, what a stupid question. Yes I do think Kobe would be as big as he is now without travelling."

A stupid question responded to by a stupid answer based on a blind assumption. Remind me the next time you bend time and space and see Kobe's alternative time lines so I can come along and be gobsmacked that you may be correct. Until then, take my questions with a "pinch of salt" so-to-speak and don't work yourself up.

Reply #218746 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

...so you admit it as a stupid question. Good.

Reply #218768 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Update- *spoiler* Cavs v Wiz

Lebo gets called for a travel on a clutch play, costs em the game..... maybe the L is gonna start to wipe the egg off its face?

Reply #219130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754