coach
Years ago

Boti - Women warming to Winter switch

Thought this was interesting. Would be great for WNBL and for Women's basketball but would be worried bout the impact on the ABA. The league would lose a lot of players!

Topic #18579 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

i like the idea. i think a few players would come back from Europe to play also, so the standard would be higher.

currently i am not a season ticket holder for the women, i just watch the NBL in summer i only have time for one, but i would seriously consider watching the girls in the winter via a seasons ticket if they switched to winter.

Reply #218954 | Report this post

Years ago

no way

AFL rules the winter sports media - unless they have a season like the wnba - after the nba

rather stay at home in the warm - better to go on a warm summers night to sport

Reply #218979 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Would be competing with Trans-Tasman netball for exposure to the women's sports market. Bad idea imo.

Reply #218998 | Report this post

again a decision to only please the "20' who play euro.

Reply #218999 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

I would be there every week in winter, we have cricket all day Saturday and Sunday and it is just too much. We currently struggle getting to sixers games so getting to another game is just too hard. The way the boys played last year I would have been better off watching the girls.

I have no interested going to Footy Park the facilities are worse than at the Dome and netball well I didn't go this year when offered free corporate tickets so that's my interest in netball.

Reply #219001 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

I think it is great for the game to have the likes of Jackson, Taylor and Summerton playing in Oz but what are peoples thoughts on it affecting the ABA?

Reply #219023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"again a decision to only please the 20 who play euro."

It may please them, but it would surely please the WNBL a lot more to have them back here.
Batkovic, Summerton, Camino, Grima, Randall, Wilson, O'Hea, MacLeod, Richards, Screen, Porter ... some pretty handy players to potentially get back into the league, which is really suffering at the moment due to lack of depth. The current situation will have long term negative effects on the Opals as well IMO if it continues.

Obviously the media is AFL-focussed in the winter, but how much media does the WNBL get anyway?

I think of far more concern would be the ripple effects of this move into the next tier of leagues around the nation.
They would have faced this same clash pre-2000, before the WNBL switched to summer, so I'm assuming it shouldn't be a huge problem to deal with.

Reply #219034 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Thw WNBL get more exposure than NBL with game of the week every Sataurday afternoon. Changing to the football season would affect this as SANFL is on Saturday afternoon. Leave it as it is.

Reply #219037 | Report this post

the girls would take the wnba if they had a chance - so there is no definite that they would play here in preference to the W

Reply #219040 | Report this post

Basket69  
Years ago

Won't work.
Like someone else said it will be going up against the Trans Tasman Netball.
Netball Australia knows what they are doing, Basketball Australia does not.
WNBL would suffer a similar fate to current NBL.

Reply #219061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither the NBL or WNBL should have moved to summer in the first place, but now they are there and have been there for a decade, I'm not sure they could easily switch back.

Reply #219065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: Boti - Women warming to Winter switch (#219023 | Grrr!)

I think it is great for the game to have the likes of Jackson, Taylor and Summerton playing in Oz but what are peoples thoughts on it affecting the ABA?

Dream on - what the fuck? There will always be more Australian players in Europe than the US. There were only two Australians in the WNBA last seaon and not likely to be ever many more at one time.

It is surely a greater matter of whether the move would benefit the league and how this fits in with the other tiers.

'Coach' huh

Reply #219103 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:54 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754