nutter
Years ago

Names for the 'new' BL

I was reading Boti's article today and was really disappointed to find out the new league is to be named, the NBL. As much as I like the acronym and think it defeats the purpose. The reason the A-League was so successful was because it was a completely different brand with new franchises completely separated it from the old NSL. With teams of the same names and now the leagues name remaining unchanged people outside of the 'loop' aren't even going to know there's anything different so how is this going to entice new supporters to the game.

That aside what are peoples ideas for what the new league could have been called?

I think something like: OzLeague Basketball, B-League Australia or even BLA (Basketball League of Australia)

Topic #18580 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Those are all worse than "NBL", especially "B-League" which would be an embarrassing choice and "BLA(h)" which isn't much better.

To be honest, I think they fluffed around and came to realise that there wasn't going to be anything significantly better that wasn't off-track or trying too hard (e.g., working an X into it).

While I do think that the brand has negative associations, the priority above that is simply marketing the league and that can still be done reasonably effectively with the NBL brand. New logo, no stupid slogans like "It's all fun", and then try some actual consistent advertising that unites the clubs.

Reply #218964 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ive always liked the OBA. Oceana Basketball Association.

Reply #218965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe something like APBL, Australian Premier Basketball League.

Reply #218966 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

my guess is that it will be just known as the 'Hummer(?) Championship'

The only other one that madeany sense and sounded OK was 'The BIG League'

but there is a very popular rubgy league magazine called the Big League

Reply #218972 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Well said Isaac.
I think it's moreso the improvements that need to be made at various levels (salary cap, better organised management and more consistent teams, etc) that people will be looking at.
You can implement the catchiest name, but if it's the same product underneath the fluff, it's not going to make any difference and I think they know that.
I have no issues with it staying as the NBL as long as they drastically improve the product itself- I think you might find most people of the same school of thought.

Reply #218981 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

The Tiny Pinder Cup sounds good to me.

Reply #218990 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

australian national basketball association - ANBA

Reply #218992 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Tiny Pinder Cup leads to many possibilities of comments, but will leave it alone due to the sick nature of 'offences'

Reply #219000 | Report this post

The Admiral  
Years ago

Tiny Pinder Cup ha ha.......is he still in the Colonel Klink ??

Reply #219019 | Report this post

hillary  
Years ago

hyundai a-league

Reply #219026 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

"O"ceana "B"asketball "I"ncorporated.
Obi (Seamus) Wan, to be the media figure & massive body corporate focus.
Al Westover to chip in with the back to the streets motto:
"I SWEAR, this is the best F*%#'N game in the F@$^'N CoUNTry."

Reply #219028 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

hillary:

"hyundai a-league"

Looking forward:

The "Hyun Dead League"

Reply #219029 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

As Isaac suggested, stick with NBL as it does have good international recognition with Australia. However it needs re-badging and a lot of good PR work - something the NBL has been very poor at over recent years. It could take a few (or more) years to get some respect back for the name in the greater sporting community.

Reply #219111 | Report this post

Ian  
Years ago

DoubleDfan, No.

Reply #219121 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

No probs Ian. : )

I actually agree that there's nothing to be gained from walking away from the established name of the NBL.
If anything, it puts pressure on the new infrastructure to bring the goods, or get flamed. I was never a fan of moving to the summer league for that very reason. If you want a competition, face it.

Reply #219134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you want to have the best chance of success with your league, avoid competition from outside and focus on your own competition.

Reply #219154 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

hmm..what about ...

The NNBL

Nothing New Baskeball League

My disapointment with the "new " league grows with every passing day, i am still to hear a SINGLE thing that will change the situation from what we have currently.

I wonder just how much the A league spent in its marketing over the first 2 years..I wonder how much the NNBL will spend?

Reply #219164 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Probably Oct start is better than mid-sept.
After the footy finals.
Jan holidays always big crowds getting out to all sports, including ours.
Seems a chance at a bit more media in summer.
Nov start probably even better.
I was always a winter fan, but starting to lean towards summer for newNBL.
They are probably gonna have, in winter, the semi-pro, second tier league.

Reply #219165 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My disapointment with the "new " league grows with every passing day
Is it so horrible that it might not be too different to what we have now? IMO, the biggest problem is the lack of marketing of the league, and they can still address that. The points cap isn't a massive flaw (it's fixable) and a salary cap could either not exist or be enforced - either way, I don't think it alone is killing the league (last round, Crocs, Hawks, Blaze and Spirit all won and are competitive).

A new name alone won't fix anything. Nor cutting or including teams for the sake of it.

Where teams are likely to remain, crowds have been reasonable (considering the state of the league) - except for the Blaze who apparently had sub-2k against the Crocs.

Reply #219167 | Report this post

Bruce Beck  
Years ago

Maybe owners put up the licence fee and the salary cap. Possibly no need for points cap or guarantee, then.

Reply #219170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754