Phizzer
Years ago

Coaching Juniors in Melbourne

I'm looking at getting back into coaching junior basketball, however, being unfamiliar with junior basketball in Melbourne, need some advise from those of you in the know.

When do seasons start? I live near the city and work in the east, which are the closest clubs I could approach for vacant positions? Any clubs to avoid?

What would be the chances of walking into a Div 1 or 2 junior coaching position?

Anyone know of any vacancies?

Appreciate any help guys, thanks,

Topic #18585 | Report this topic

speak with MELHOOPS or DANDYBOI

Reply #219073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox, Kilsyth and Dandenong will be the clubs of choice, however most teams will have coaches by this stage. Maybe take a look at an assistant role for the season and then get back into it the following year. If you are willing to travel, Diamond Valley is going OK, not sure who is running that right now, Eltham, Waverley with Matt Shanahan could be an option

Good luck

Reply #219074 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What is your past coaching experience?

Reply #219079 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Where about's do you live in Melbourne as there are heaps of choices.

Reply #219088 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

Most clubs all have their coaches in order as the season effectively runs from Oct/Nov 2008 through to September 2009. The first phase of grading is completed, with the second phase of grading commencing after the Australia Day tourney. The season itself does not actually start until March.

Most clubs start to look at recruiting coaches around June or July as they like to have them in place try outs that usually take place around September.

As for where to coach, it probably depends on where you live and if you are prepared to travel or not. As for which team you may end up coaching, it would greatly depend on your level of experience and success, along with which club you end up approaching. As with everywhere though, each club is always after new coaches.

Reply #219110 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Thanks guys, just the advice I was looking for.

I think I'll approach some clubs about working with development or assistant and come June/July, maybe try and secure a head coaching job.

Reason I've been out for so long is I travel a lot for work, so haven't been able to commit the time, however that should slow down this year.

If you have any contacts I could talk too, please e-mail me at [email protected].

Reply #219113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Diamond Valley have a very good coaching development program if you're prepared to go out that way. I know the 16's and 18's have assistant already, but there may be opportunities in the younger age groups or with second teams.

Reply #219115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754