Quagmire
Years ago

Marbury to the Celtics- cast your vote

Celts concerned that the losses of Posey and the retired Brown have weakened their bench too much.

Some rumblings that the Celts would take a chance on Starbury if he can get a buy-out sorted before march 1.

That would mean they could sign him to shore up ball handling duties off the bench.

The big plus is they can sign him for the min, then cut him any time they want should he turn 'cancerous'

What do you guys think?

Risk vs reward?

http://linky.com.au/o5wur

Topic #18590 | Report this topic

Ian  
Years ago

Starter.

Reply #219132 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

high reward over risk

i can see it happening

Reply #219133 | Report this post

eddie  
Years ago

lakers need him moree i reckon;)

Reply #219135 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I reckon he would upset the chemistry too much. I would ask the question of the team members - do we want him or not?
How he could ever replace Rondo in the starting 5 is beyond me.

Reply #219137 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

No way will he start- his value will be scoring during the down time.

The Celts have been boasting their team harmony all last season and this, yet team chemistry is always high when your winning....

Lets see how the shocking road trip effects their chemistry....

At the Garden today, reporters swarmed the Celts about Steph, do they really want this sideshow?

Surely there is a better option out there than steph?

Reply #219138 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

SoJ is waiting for the call...

Reply #219141 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

They lost today against the Knicks

if he goes to the Celts, and keeps his head in the right place......could be a nice addition to the Celts.

Id take him at LA to run with the second unit while Farmer is out

Reply #219142 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Would be a terrible option for the Celtics, IMO. Basically, if it ain't broke...

Then again, IMO Marbury is a terrible option, period, so I may be overly-biassed here. :) I don't ever recall a trade in pro-sports where a me-first sycophantic headcase has been a valuable acquisition in the medium-to-long term.

Reply #219143 | Report this post

djrod  
Years ago

check this out and then see if you think it would be a good thing for chemistry!

Starbury vs House

plus factor in KG and Marbury - they were the next best thing when they were together at Minnesota until Starbury wasn't happy KG was getting paid more!

LA is more of a chance i'd say!

Reply #219144 | Report this post

Years ago

Aside from any chemistry issues, do the Celtics really need Marbury that desperately? They seem to be doing just fine without him, and as far as I can see they have enough guards who can cover botht eh 1 and the 2 spots if need be:

Rajon Rondo
Ray Allen
Tony Allen
Eddie House
Gabe Pruitt
J.R. Giddens (rookie making his way in the D-League, due to there not being enough minutes and opportunities with the Celtics at the moment)
Sam Cassell (who is pretty much being saved for the playoffs)

Don't forget that Marbury will have to learn the system, buy into their team's ideology (not just be out there to 'get his'), commit to defense (never his strongest point) and they'll have to adjust their rotations to fit him in for 20 minutes or so each game. That's all before any hijinks he may or may not cause in the locker room and with the media. All that considered, I'd vote no myself. It's doable, but I really don't think it's worth the fuss for the Celtics.

I know they haven't been mentioned as a contender in the Marbury sweepstakes, but I think Toronto might be a decent fit. It's away from the media scrutiny of New York, but close enough that he can still visit family and friends from time to time. And beyond starting guards Jose Calderon and Anthony Parker, they don't have that much quality depth at either the 1 or the 2. Will Solomon is alright in short minutes, but Roko Ukic is still learning the NBA game, and Hassan Adams isn't that great. There's rumblings that Toronto might want to get rid of Parker as well as Andrea Bargnani, so if they were willing (or able) to somehow broker a trade with New York (not sure it could be worked out financially), then it could turn out alright for both parties.

Reply #219151 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

as said before, I'd LOVE him to come to LA but looks like Boston thing pretty set...

Marbury won't damage what they've got but improve their depth for sure. I don't see him starting but will probably play 1 and 2 that can really get Celtics playing a running game to vary things up:

Rondo, Marbury, Allen, Pierce, KG

That's a real fast and experienced line-up for ANY team. And notice something? 4 All Stars!?!?!?!

Reply #219160 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Great move by the Cs if this goes through.

They get:
A quality 2nd string ball handler.
Scoring off the bench.
Cheap point guard.

Plus Marbury has always had a good relationship with KG and if he does skrew up dont think that KG wont be all over his ass like some rookie punk, look at what he did to Big Baby for no reason.

There is no risk here!

Just say Marbury comes in plays a terrible trademark Marbury game hogging and hoisting, bang hes cut, bye bye, cya later, take your 20mil and play X-Box!

Or Marbury comes in tries hard to train hard and play his role. Plus the lure of a possible championship should help his mental state.

On the whole i think this is a good move by the Celtics.

Reply #219171 | Report this post

Years ago

Here's an Interesting article that I think explains things fairly well on the chemistry side of things:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=11110

Reply #219179 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think Marbury would pull his head in if he signs with the Celtic or Lakers. I think it's worth a punt. He'd be paid the minimum so if he turns out to be a problem, they can just waive him. I also think given his time in the league, the league will also pay the majority of his minimum wage.

Reply #219201 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

From ESPN, Garnett has given his nod of approval.

http://linky.com.au/0h9qx

Reply #219202 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The problem here is that too many people are buying into some of the things Marbury is saying. Here is a player who is like a prisoner on death row- dude will say ANYTHING to get on the celts.

He'll claim to be happy coming off the bench... then after a couple of poor games from Rhondo he sow some 'i should be starting' seeds in the locker room...

He is a cancer straight out. He will always want more than he has now.

The fall back of being able to cut him at any time is the only thing that could possibly sway me to bring him onto a team.

I wouldn't take him, but i think the celts will.

Reply #219209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Quagmire - I'm with you. Would like to see them make a stand and avoid him, but can see it happening.

Reply #219214 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

For the record- Knicks should just hold onto him. Why let him play for another team?

If they can get nothing off the buy-out price, no way they should let him go.

March 1st is the big day.

See if Starbury will finally blink and accept less money so he can join another team.

After March 1st he can still join another team- he just won't be able to play finals...awesome.

Still may go to the celts, they could use Marbs during the season so Cassell can rest for the playoffs...

Could there be a bigger sporting tragedy than Steph winning a ring?

Reply #219222 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Quagmire, I'm with you too. I think it will be a bad move, but that Boston will take him anyway. I don't know why you would want to risk great team chemistry and a positive culture to pick up a guy who quite frankly is a me-first headcase and career loser.

Reply #219241 | Report this post

Years ago

The thing I keep thinking about in regards to this is that the Celtics don't really NEED Marbury at all. He needs them more than anything else. They can do just fine without him, and I think they should.

Doc Rivers said in the last couple of days or so that the Celtics would like to add another guard and/or big man if they could, but strangely enough (despite winning a championship), they don't have many desireable tradeable pieces, and don't have much room to work with in terms of the salary cap. They're still keeping in contact with P.J. Brown, even though he insists he's retired. Obviously Rivers would know his team better than any of us, but IMO they should look elsewhere beyond Marbury if they really think they need to add something else.

Reply #219302 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

If Marbury gets bought out by the Knicks i'm all for him signing for the rest of the season with the Celtics. He would fill one of our two greatest problems, a consistent volume scorer from the second unit with ball handling/play making skills (the other is a decent back up big). Going through the list of guards 3 listed its easy to see what Marbury could bring that outside of Rondo and Ray the others don't. Tony Allen is way too inconsistent and can't handle the ball, Houses only play is catch and shoot, Gabe usually only plays in garbage time ,JR will be stuck in the D-league for most the season, and idea of Cassell playing any meaningful minutes kinda scares me.

So if Marbury can buy into the team system and keep his mouth shut he would be worth the risk. I would be too scared to annoy KG at the moment so I reckon he buys into a team concept for the rest of the season fine.

Reply #219318 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:36 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754