hustle
Years ago

King James' Travel (Includes spoilers)

Noticed on ESPN today that against the Wizards Lebron was called for a travel in the dying stages of the game.

After reading some of the comments from the related blog, and watching the video, I cant believe anybody would think it isnt a travel.

Here is the ESPN page with video.

What do fellow hoopsters think? Did the ref get it right?

http://linky.com.au/ogaqc

Topic #18591 | Report this topic

Humpa  
Years ago

yep definitely a travel.

3 steps ftl.

Reply #219139 | Report this post

Flinders 37  
Years ago

lol, ftl.

Reply #219140 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

You have to love this quote from Caron Butler:

"That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move, good officiating, and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'

Reply #219146 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

yep def a travel. i looked up the NBA rules and couldnt find a damm thing about crabs. Except when Magic used to share em around.

Reply #219153 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Some of Lebrons comments from an article

"Bad call," said James, who compiled 30 points, 10 assists and six rebounds. "We all make mistakes, and I think I got the wrong end of the bargain. I watched it 10 times after the game, and it was clearly a good play."

His biggest beef, though, was with what he considered a misunderstanding of the way he moved to the basket.

"You have your trademark play, and that's one of my plays. It kind of looks like a travel because it's slow, and it's kind of a high-step, but it's a one-two just as fluent as any other one-two in this league. I got the wrong end of it, but I think they need to look at it -- and they need to understand that's not a travel," James said. "It's a perfectly legal play, something I've always done."

Reply #219155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it was travel. If you look at the video on youtube, the comments seem to think so too.

Reply #219175 | Report this post

SKUX01  
Years ago

That is a tough one, but i think that it was a legit move. He took his 2 steps after picking up the ball. Remember the steps before it don't count as he is dribbling the ball.

Reply #219176 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

If that's a travel, I'm Moses Guthrie. Hang on a sec ..... let me think about that.

Reply #219180 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I didn't know the NBA still had a travelling violation

Reply #219185 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol Moses.

Definitely 3 steps - if that's not a travel, then a travel must be 4 steps. No-brainer. SKUX01 - not having a go at you, but how is he dribbling when he takes his third-to-last step? He's already got the ball in both hands, raising it up in the air.

Reply #219187 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Ignoring the issue of whether it's a travel or not, who the hell does he think he is talking like that?

Comments like "I think they need to look at it -- and they need to understand that's not a travel" make him come across as even more arrogant and self centred than I thought was possible. Seriously, I think Stern should crack down on him for that before the league turns into a farce, you can't have players dictating to the refs what's a voilation and what isn't.

I guess this is the result of everyone blowing smoke up your arse since age 12, you start to beleive that you actually are the centre of the universe. I wonder what his view was of that other travel they showed that he got away with, was that another example of his patented crab move?

Reply #219188 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Agree 100% billo.

Reply #219195 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Agree as well billo, BUT i think the problem is he has got away with that move and that travel (and worse) so many times that as a player he would find it frustrating that now they want to call it.

Reply #219198 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Props billo- nail, hit, head.

Could LBJ's arrogance be costing him most votes for the all-star game? Currently Howard is the man in first place...

Reply #219208 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

btw, had anyone actually heard of a "crab dribble" before yesterday? Is it a code word for some sort of 1337 streetball move that I don't know?

Reply #219211 | Report this post

Dazzler  
Years ago

Definitely a travel IMO - but I can sort of understand why LBJ was pissed off. Why call him on that night when players have been getting away with travelling violations for as long as I have been watching the NBA?

If the refs are going to make that call night in, night out then great, but i would be very surprised if that happens

Reply #219215 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

The reason Howard is in front in the total votes is because he is the ONLY centre in the East worthy of being an All Star. LeBron would lose some forward votes to guys like Bosh, Garnett, Pierce, Brand, Prince, Smith, Granger, Iguadola etc.

Who else would you vote for as a centre in the East besides Howard?

Reply #219216 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

http://i41.tinypic.com/35dbytf.jpg

3 steps.

Reply #219228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Definitely a travel but their issue (as others have said) is that they need consistency in when this will be called. Traditionally, they've let far worse than this get by.

Crab dribble, seriously...

Reply #219232 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Does James think that by giving it a name- he will get away with using an illegal move?

Reply #219233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worked for the "War on Terror"!

Reply #219234 | Report this post

I dont think it was a travel. He only takes 2 steps after he picks the ball up

Reply #219235 | Report this post

SKUX01  
Years ago

Exactly ELG. That's what i thought.

Reply #219255 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

It's a lay down misere. Travel it is.

Reply #219275 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Further explanation from the Referee in question....

http://linky.com.au/jd2eo

Reply #219278 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I did find one link about a "crab dribble" that looks like it was on the internet before yesterday.

http://linky.com.au/na8v6

Love the smack from the Wizards though!

Reply #219296 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

SKUX01/ELG - how can you say it's only 2 steps after he picks up the dribble? It's patently not, when you look at the link Humpa posted. Kinda hard to reason about without the video all in front of us at the same time, I know.

Reply #219297 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754