skip
Years ago

NBL on Fox & One HD

I've heard it on a very good authority this morning that the Multi Million Dollar 5 year deal with Foxtel is going ahead, with Foxtel on selling 1 or 2 games a week to the new ONE HD free to air sports channel.
The deal will mean all games will be televised with the majority of them live.

For someone like me, with no Foxtel, this news is fantastic.

I would imagine that there would be some sort of Highlights show as well.

Hopefully more will be announced next week, when the league start making their official announcments.

Topic #18596 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Another non-Foxer here and I think this could be good news. A mix of money for the NBL plus some FTA action for those without Fox. (The risk with a deal just going with a standard network was that they might not pay for the privilege, and could cut it were it not to rate well.) Hopefully any incoming cash for the league can reduce the marketing warchest contributions required from owners.

Reply #219221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best possible outcome if this were true. Good FTA action without taking a risk of what happened last time NBL was on Channel Ten & Seven.

Reply #219224 | Report this post

Dazzler  
Years ago

Great news for all involved - NBL gets their cash, Foxtel subscribers get most games shown live and FTA tv gets one or two live games per week. Can't wait for next season!

Reply #219227 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Once official I will be in the market for tivo or some other pvr in a heartbeat. NBA on OneHD has me interested, but being able to watch my 36ers v anyone will definitely have me in the market.

Reply #219229 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

The big question will be will the FTA games be live. Surely Foxtel would like to be able to hold the claim as the only place to watch live NBL and allow the 2 games they give up to be showed delayed?

Seems to all sound to good to be true that a sport that has very little current market value would be pushed so well by Foxtel and FTA.

Reply #219236 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Great news, my only reservation, is that ANY game be shown live. I'd love to see how the schedule gets drawn up so that Poxtel could even consider doing every game live.
In the real world, if you've got Poxtel & the game's shown live, why would you double dip by inconveniencing yourself with travel, car-parking, bad food & be out of pocket in these shaky financial times. Don't believe me, try polling 5 million people in NSW, the biggest & most important market. Then check their attendance figures.
In my nicely does it world, don't have Poxtel dictate game times. Delay ALL Poxtel transmissions by an hour or 2, & give FTA access the next day or 2.
Sponsors want bums on seats, & the attendees that go to the trouble should be respected. They are helping the basketball cause in every way. Poxtel initiated/dictated mid-week games & they're a blight of every club. Who's been paying for the reportedly $5k for the black back-drop curtains to make it look better on Pox?
Sure, thank & accept Poxtel for their services, but only if it's for the benefit, & controlled by the league.

Reply #219243 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Sorry to double post, but Topfield HD PVRs are currently $400, Buy it Now on eBay.

Reply #219247 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

yeah no fox here as well, and the new ten sport channel is something i'm greatly looking forward to. Ten have come through with the NFL so far and it looks like they will come through again.

Reply #219248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best option would be home games delayed, away games live. It's hard to do that with Fox Sports because each state doesn't have its own channel like Fox Footy did.

Reply #219262 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Well since there a usually multiple games overlaping each other on game nights.
Fox can pick the one they want to show live and 1HD gets the pick of the left overs.
Fox then show the others afterward.

There is no way Fox or Ten are going to pay money for games they can't even show live!!!
It is up to the NBL and the teams to make the games exciting enough for fans to go see them live.

When I say exciting I mean the actual play on court, not all the other stuff like stupidly load music and fireworks (like the NBA).

Reply #219284 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Alot of people keep commenting on Foxtel showing alot of games live. I would be surprised if we get much more than guaranteed 2 games live per week and sometimes 3 games per week live. Other than that we can hope for same night, late night replays of other games.
Studies have shown if games are shown replayed/delayed much more than a day than the majority of people dont bother tuning in as results are already known. (I'm sure us die hards will still love it though).

Reply #219287 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Getting TIVO is looking even more attractive now.

Reply #219288 | Report this post

Ed Nealy  
Years ago

DJ, Boti has said before that the deal with Fox Sports is to show every single game and live. The schedule will certainly be tweaked to allow this to happen and Fox have shown back-to-back games before live from opposite sides of the country.

I believe the Fox guarantee of showing every NBL game live for the next five years is contingent on there being eight teams and thus four games a week. The NBL refuse to put a cap on the number of teams next season (at this stage) and if there are ten teams maybe Fox might not go ahead with the televising every single game live part of the deal?

Reply #219292 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im loving my TIVO!

Reply #219329 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

This does sound like a positive step forward.

And may just be enough to...
A) reconnect to foxtel
B) Buy a HD receiver and hard drive recorder.

Reply #219465 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

This does sound like a positive step forward.

And may just be enough to...
A) reconnect to foxtel
B) Buy a HD receiver and hard drive recorder.

Reply #219466 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754