Jack Toft
Years ago

Game Night: Sixers v Hawks

The Sixers line up at home for another must win game for both teams.

To me the Sixers should win but the teams look closer than they should be with the Sixers getting the edge in rebounds and blocks, but the Hawks being more accurate from the field.

As always, Dusty will be the dangerman around the boards and Saville from the floor. Tragardh and Franklin are always dangerous.

So, the big questions to ponder:
* Will the umpiring be to its usual standard?
* Will Paora suit up for the game?
* Can we apply enough pressure on Saville to get him to spit the dummy and/or foul himself off?
* Should we just suit up Luke with lederhosen for the slap dance under the ring?
* Will Scotty clear the bench?
* Should Scotty clear the bench considering % is going to be so important at the end?
* Has Julius been paid?
* Will the 100 odd kids from the 5 star camp be loud enough? Please, someone give them some rasberry cordial just to make sure.

(Mod: Updated post date to move up on the forum main page.)

Topic #18598 | Report this topic

Juror 12  
Years ago

The biggest concern is how Ballinger and Scenshcer will guard the Hawk's bigs. They killed us last time they played here and almost stole the game from us.

Reply #219230 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Jack Toft:

"Should we just suit up Luke with lederhosen for the slap dance under the ring?"

If it were up to me, you'd get a ball for that line. : )

I see this as a danger game & one where we're going to have to be at the top of our game to pull off the win. It was very physical last time they matched up here & I'd like to think the refs SEE it & CALL it this time.

Reply #219231 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I'd really like to think that we'd get this one, but the Hawks were really tough here last time. That said, they are capable of being the worst team in the league at times, as anyone who saw the Dragons real off 25 unanswered at the Gong will atest.

Dusty did nothing here last time, so will be keen for a big game. Larry Davidson could be a key as he can drag Schenscher much further from the hoop than Luke is comfortable playing.

As for Winitana, I believe he will suit but cop a DNP-CD.

Looking forward to the game, it should be really hard fought.

Reply #219237 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

"* Should Scotty clear the bench considering % is going to be so important at the end?"

Pretty sure percentage means nothing come the end of the season. Its based on Team v Team Series.

For instance, if both the 36ers and the Spirit were tied on 15 wins each, then the Spirit go ahead of us based on them winning 2-1 in the three games.

If we have played the team 4 times and the series is tied at 2-2, then it is decided on the margin between the two.

Only then, if it is still tied, does percentage matter.

Reply #219239 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DDFan: was probably the most fouls called this season in the league of 29 against the Hawks not enough fouls in your book? Or the most foul shots taken in a game this season by the Sixers?

I agree with Juror 12 their bigs are very good and don't fear us at all!

Reply #219246 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

KJ, it wasn't the number of fouls, it was the ferocity of the fouls which amazingly went uncalled (Brad Davidson thrown to the floor by Matt Campbell, along with others).
You may recall, that the point I made either here or on OzHoops earlier, was my concern about possible injuries from that game.
My bad, injuries don't show on stats. ; )

Reply #219250 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Ballinger better start playing like an import and maybe even start playing a little defence, he should also remember that he is only 28 not 38!. All you boys and girls just see him get his 20 points & 7 rebounds per game and you all say 'what a superstar!'. But the reality is that he always gets killed by his man(normally an Aussie player)and always goes missing in the big games. Have any of his teams ever gone deep into the finals?

(Sorry guys, I had to get this off my chest)

Reply #219258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

especially not slapping injuries. they can even leave a mark!

Reply #219259 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

i agree reference ballinger not playing D, he is known for that and therefore been cut by so many teams.

Reply #219263 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

Definate danger game for sure, they would be ultra confident and ready for a real crack. The pressure is on our guys in this one so we need Balls to lead from the front, Maher will cop a lot of attention when on but his class and steadying ability i think may be the diff in a game that goes down to the wire.
My tip is sixers by 1 point (last play win)

Reply #219272 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

A - yes, he was part of the Hawks' team that played the grand final series in 2005

Drb - has he ever been cut? He was part of the Giants in 2004 and played the full season with them. They folded and he moved to Hawks in 2005. Pretty sure they didn't cut him, rather 36ers actively recruited him from them. But feel free to correct me if that's wrong.

Reply #219282 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I am really critical of plyrs that dont or cant defend. E.G I believe Schens. too soft under and in opp. ring and although Julius looks good in def. mode on a lot of occasions the opp.plyrs of all standards blow past him easily. Bruce is much same.
But although didnt rate Ballinger as great defender I didnt see that as major weakness. But must confess great fan of his and probably looking with rose coloured glasses. Like other views on
Re Pauro his chances were there when Brett and Brad had injuries although not same type of plyr. Too many plyrs now to get into any sort of roster on court.
Much rather give more time to Brad Hill etc

Reply #219286 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

"bretts the man" could not agree more with everything you say. Luke does need to harden the #@$^ up and then he would destroy even more so than he does, also i see Hill as a huge part of the future without brett more than any of our aussie guys and the more court time he gets the better for his frame of mind to start doing his thing and take over more, wintana will struggle to get in and have an impact now.

Reply #219325 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Just caught Fox Sports News they had a few minutes segment on the Sixers and the upcoming crucial game vs the Hawks, some footage from training and interview with Scotty, went for quite some time for a Fox Sport News segment, good stuff!

Reply #219332 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'd be expecting a hard, close game. With Julius Hodge the difference between the two teams.

Reply #219337 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Matt McQuade predicts a 20 point blowout in favour of the 36ers. Comforting to know but confused at how he arrived at that figure. His review of the game is full of ifs and buts for both sides suggesting a close game that could go either way yet he ends off with a prediction of a 20 point blowout. Not sure about that.

Reply #219366 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

EC I just had a read of his preview and he has tipped the Sixers to win by 12 (Maybe he changed it recently?). Either way I think his previews are usually a rough guide and he is usually off the mark in his tipping.

Reply #219389 | Report this post

Mr EM  
Years ago

Is this game on FOX 2nite?

Reply #219392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

davidson and petrie stayed home because of knee injuries.

surely shensch and ballinger should have a field day against the midgets dusty and sav!

will be interesting to watch the guards go at it, franklin has been hot as of late and so has campbell bruce and maher will need to play tight

Reply #219393 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Good intel 393,
Would be good to see the twin reds run amuck!

Reply #219394 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Sixers by 18
Crowd of 5011

Reply #219399 | Report this post

AB Fan  
Years ago

Post #219258,

Pfffffft!!!! As I understand it, Ballinger is 4-6 months off becoming a citizen so you'll need to find another import to start blaming our losses on..
And do a bit of research as to how he played in Wollongong and where he took his team during those seasons.

Sorry guys, I had to get THAT off my chest!!

And as for the comment by DRB, perhaps you should do YOUR research, Ballinger has NEVER been cut in the NBL.

Go 6ers!! I'm a fan, not a hater and Balls is the man!

Reply #219400 | Report this post

robot  
Years ago

Ballinger is definately the man and no way responsible for the losses. Im with you ab fan on that remember 45 point games last year and a player with great attitude always. Im a fan too big time, sixers in a real close one, ballinger to have 31 and crowd 5200

Reply #219402 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Not a 'Hater' ABFan, actually like him, just want Balls to stand up when it counts.

Reply #219404 | Report this post

Ostrich 49  
Years ago

Balls is supposed to be a citizen in May

Reply #219406 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

What about a Winitana vs Saville match up. I think Winitana has what it takes to slow Saville which could prove a match winner?

Reply #219409 | Report this post

justin  
Years ago

Agreed AK-47 I also believe that Winitana is an ideal match up for Saville.

Reply #219411 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

KingJames, you must be looking at something different and it seems like he has changed his tune. This is an exact quote of what he said on the NBL site under the title "Big Wednesday Watch - Hawks @ 36ers"

"Wollongong may keep things interesting for a while, but ultimately I just can't see them keeping up. Give me the Sixers in a 20-point blowout."

I honestly don't think it will be a 20 point blowout but a much closer win for the 36ers.

Reply #219413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers v Wollongong Hawks
Distinctive Homes Dome, Adelaide, 7:00 PM ACT Tipoff

TV: Live on Fox Sports 1

Radio: ABC Radio from 6:30

News

Double injury blow for Hawks

The Wollongong Hawks will enter Wednesday's vital road game against the Adelaide 36ers without the services of both Larry Davidson and Anthony Petrie.

Preview

Big Wednesday Hawks @ 36ers

Reply #219417 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Don't forget to take along a banner to the game - include johnrillie.com AND itstore.com - get it on TV ( I suggest do a bit of boneheading behind Carfino & Gaze :) )

and you could win a ASUS 22inch LCD Monitor worth almost $300...

Check out our podcast for all the details.

We thought Adelaide would be the perfect place to kick this comp off so BRING IT!

Reply #219421 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If you do have a banner, come down and see me before the game and tell me where you are and I'll do my best to make sure you get on the tube.

Reply #219424 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Without Petrie and Davidson, this should be a comfortable one for the 36ers (hopefully). Hoping that the Blaze result was just a hiccup.

Reply #219433 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah this will be a comfortable win without Petrie and Davidson as Isaac said.

The betting has Sixers to win at $1.20 and the line is 9.5+

Reply #219441 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Not worth touching anything on the betting line IMO.

Reply #219450 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If anything, maybe the game total (200.5) since both teams are averaging 100+ PPG over recent rounds, but I can see something like 105-90 coming about. The margin is set right to deter most and I don't like the Hawks enough to try them at $5.75 without the two forwards.

Not sure how Wollongong will have enough in the paint. You have Sav/Dusty/Tragardh at SF-C, but then what off the bench? Jackson is a light SF. If one of those bigs gets in foul trouble, they are toast. Hodge and Schensch should be going at Sav and Tragardh from the tip trying to draw fouls IMO.

Actually, think I might just go with the -10.5 line. At home, you'd hope they'll look after that.

Reply #219455 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

This game should be an easy win with 2 key Hawks injured but that does not show the true colours of the 36ers if they have to win under those conditions. It does not make good preparation for the playoffs. You would hope to win games against fully manned teams to gain some confidence. All we can hope for in winning this game is feeling a little bit more comfortable on the ladder but will do nothing to prepare for the tougher games ahead. Regardless of tonights results, the 36ers still have a lot of work ahead of them. I agree Isaac in that hopefully the Blaze game was just a hiccup, but a hiccup that could not have done any more damage than it did at the time and with all the other results of the round. It was an extremely costly hiccup that 1 game only set us back several positions.

Reply #219463 | Report this post

herman munster  
Years ago

What time is the game actually start tonight?

With Petrie and Davidson out indefinitely can the Hawks even afford to get another big i.e Mottram

Hawks were robbed here last time by poor officiating so expect the Refs to again give them a raw deal again. I expect to see plenty of zone defense.

Reply #219464 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

The game is on Foxtel, therefore will be a blow out, Sixers by 35!!!

Reply #219467 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Look out for Tragardh to put up some big numbers tonight without Davidson and Petrie, he had something like 26 and 9 not long ago in only 24mins and should get the mins he deserves in this game.

36ers by 17.

Reply #219469 | Report this post

Chook Raffle  
Years ago

Good work XztatiK!

Go Julius!

Reply #219489 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Hodge isn't playing, supposedly benches for not doing the right thing, he spat the dummy and isn't playing. DNP-PD - did not play-players decision

That's the word any way and he ain't warming up on the court

Reply #219490 | Report this post

Chook Raffle  
Years ago

Just tonight do you reckon?

Reply #219491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone comfirm that Hodge won't play?

Reply #219492 | Report this post

Chook Raffle  
Years ago

He's not playing - not sure for how long though? Maybe just tonight.

Reply #219493 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

More issues around the whole no payment, not training, loss of team respect/attitude problems perhaps?

Hodge didn't warm up with the team for the Melbourne game either, came out very very late.

Reply #219494 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hodge is not playing. Confirmed

Reply #219495 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Isaac, should be able to look after the 10.5 but still not worth it IMO. Anything that isnt paying double in a two horse race I'm not interested in hahaha.

Reply #219496 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Hawks up by 1 at quarter time.

22 - 21.

Reply #219497 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

HODGE CAN'T MAKE THE NBA IF HE CAN'T PLAY.

Reply #219498 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

48 a piece at the half.

What about Taits' no-look reverse lay in.....

Reply #219499 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

surely this now goes as breah of contract on both behalf's....i can see JH walking away very soon.....

Reply #219500 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm sure players in the NBA get paid on time!

Hawks putting up a fight. Don't entirely agree with Scotty's philosophy of pounding it in on every position, sure make it a focus but keep it mixed up and run a few plays for the slashers and shooters as well.

Surely some missed jumpers from the guards should mainly be cleaned up by our bigs!? try a few mix it up a little.

Reply #219502 | Report this post

Boss  
Years ago

Typical of Oz basketball, possibly the best import ever to play in the league and Adelaide decide they wont pay him but expect him to still play. PAY THE MAN!!!!!!!

Reply #219503 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Three quarter time Adelaide up 81 - 73.

Reply #219508 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

has it actually been confirmed why Hodge isnt playing?

Reply #219510 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Don't know about best ever, but damn good!

Reply #219511 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

98-85 with just over 3 minutes left.

looks like we got this... without Hodge, pretty darn good.

Reply #219512 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Only 6 turnovers for Adelaide near the end of the game, with 21 assists. That's huge! Smashing them on the boards too

Reply #219513 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Have to say too Big Luke has been a revelation this year. I don't think anyone expected him to be this good, especially me since I played with him from first year 18s to second year 20s. Unbelievable how far that dude has come since those days.

Luuuuuuuuuuke

Reply #219514 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

5 pts, 25 seconds.

just hold on!

Reply #219515 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

gaame.

Reply #219516 | Report this post

macdog  
Years ago

crowd - 6307!

thats bloody impressive - considering the game was live on fox and a wednesday night game.

lets see it get to 7,000 for saturday night!

Reply #219531 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

hawks only had 8 players tonight, clearly we had more legs in 2nd half..

I think we had like 20 odd more shot attempts 2nite & about the same in a rebounding edge.

I didn't know Hodge wasn't playing should we be concerned for the remainder of season?

Maher was massive in the 3rd, Saville's block was good on Hill, but Bruce's alley oop to Hill was awesome!

Reply #219533 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

If it is only about the money GO AWAY HODGE!!!

I understand not being happy about not getting paid, but if that is number one priority, just take off now!!! You will get your money!!!

I'd prefer a more loyal import.. like Mark Davis/Rob Rose than someone who is only after the money!!!

How do you think you will get back into the NBA with that Me first attitude and not a Team first attitude... good luck homie!!!

If you cant make the Nets 15 with that me first attitude... maybe you should check it!!!

Reply #219555 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Graeme LeBroy - you wanker!! Would you keep going to work if you weren't getting paid?? He is a star, so why are the inept Sixers Admin not looking after him?

Vent your anger at them....they didn't even have the balls to make an announcement at the game. Great game, great result, but a lot of disappointed fans for missing out on seeing Hodge.

Reply #219563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has stated in the paper he was paid and paid in advance shook hands all round then never fronted for the game ...bye bye Hodge

Reply #219570 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Skip - was good to meet you tonight (albeit very briefly as you were busy at the time & probably in shock of a no-Hodge situation), but keep up the good work! The sound system is heaps better than earlier in the year but still has those fade-out issues with Bonz on the microphone......

Nice choice with Pokerface tonight, maybe a bit longer Saturday night with a full defensive play...???

Reply #219601 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Out of interest, how often does an NBL team front with only 8 players? Has a team ever played with fewer? You'd think they would bring a development player or two to fill up the empty chairs.

I had a good feeling looking up at the board at the start of the game - even without Hodge, but that isn't going to happen every week.

Reply #219636 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Corey - Yea, you could say I was a little distracted! haha!
Will try to get more of Poker Face played next time.

Reply #219645 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

In that blog he is doing nothing but blatantly advertising himself to NBA teams.

He has always been completely honest about his NBA aspirations so you can't blame him for leaving but this is a sad, sad way to do it.

Reply #219668 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

*Soz, that was supposed to go in the "Hodge a Disgrace" thread.

Reply #219682 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

But since im here what about the game! - I'm sick of hearing about Hodge. (pardom the triple-posting, lol)

Referees: Will be thanking Hodge for taking the spotlight tonight. This was possibly their worst performance of the year (big statement, I know).

When they are not calling INTENTIONAL FOULS on the Hawks you know there's a problem.

It was the only time that Kavossy was actually unhappy with the refs.
I honestly have no idea how Mr. Garnier Fructis (Phil Haines I think) keeps getting a gig week after week. Surely there isn't some clown out there who actually thinks he's doing a good job. They are ruining otherwise quality games and I'm sick of it.

Hey Chook Raffle :)

Schenscher: Was a little off early in the piece but you wouldn't know it looking at the final stats. He is just unstoppable.

Ballinger: 9.5/10 for the first half, 2-10 for the second. Average that out: 5.75/10 - Not too bad, lol.

Holmes: Julius is gone and he's still struggling offensively. His 5 assists and quality defence was handy but 2/9 shooting is not acceptable, especially when he's shooting outside shots with plenty of clock left.

Maher: VINTAGE!!! is the word. He hit some of the most crucial shots of the game and absolutely set the crowd off in that 3rd qtr.
Did anyone see his alley-oop attempt in the warmup? He missed it, but for someone who can barely touch the ring it was impressive. It gave me a lot more confidence in that ageing body of his.

Bruce: Fantastic, hit the open looks and created his own when he needed to. He looked more confident that he has all year and his D was betterthan usual.

Coop: 0/4 shooting was terrible, 7 boards in 10mins was outstanding.

Winitana: Looked set for a big on after he was hyped-up by Boti but didn't do much. He was one of the major contributors to our low FG% and his D was just average. We're going to need him to step up without Hodge.

Hill: We saw the best game of his career a few weeks ago and tonight we saw the best quarter of his career. I think he had 9pts in the fourth - securing the win. He hit the open three, identified mismatches vs. Tragardh an got in their faces defensively. He also contributed two of the most outstanding plays of the night - First he was it the wrong end of a trademark fast-break rejection by Saville (if it wasn't a foul it was awesome), he then preceded to throw down the alley-oop that he just missed last game. Fantastic performance.

Davidson: The stats look very SoJ-ish but he actually played very well. D was great and his hustle was a catalyst behind a few 36ers runs.

Gong: Saville and Tragardh were fantastic without Davidson and Petrie. Dusty was great at one end of the floor while Tait and Kavossy both played their part. Mat Campbell showed his is no Maher and Rhys Martin and Daniel Jackson are development players at best.

It is hard to say which team was disadvantaged the most by injuries/selfishness but I'm just glad to see the 6ers take the W.

Reply #219702 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754