Isaac
Years ago

36ers: Hodge paid, now AWOL

Hodge in match 'no show' mystery

A pay dispute with the club which became public has not only been settled, but the charismatic American fan favourite also has now received advanced payments.

"He's been paid," Sixers owner Mal Hemmerling said last night.

"We shook hands today and there wasn't a problem.

"We have no idea why he isn't here and it's unacceptable.

"A professional player just doesn't do this."

Adelaide rallied in front of 6307 fans at the Distinctive Homes Dome last night to beat Wollongong 106-99, keeping alive its top six play-off hopes.

"Of all the scenarios you could imagine, if you told me a player had been paid in advance and then just wouldn't turn up - it's just staggering," 36ers coach Scott Ninnis said.

"He's been uncontactable all afternoon and to treat his team-mates like this - the guys you go to war with on a weekly basis - is beyond my comprehension."

Topic #18616 | Report this topic

meeh  
Years ago

wat does AWOL mean.

Reply #219646 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

its absent without official leave. in short he is missing without a reason.

Reply #219653 | Report this post

nounsa  
Years ago

re: Meeh AWOL means, Absent Without Leave (Absent With Out Leave)

Reply #219658 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The first big (local) basketball story of the new year. Watch this space. I wonder what other stories will also break in the up coming weeks.

Reply #219661 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

As I said in the other thread, great work by the 36ers team to get the win despite the game-day disruption. Some textbook Ballinger, vintage Maher and I never get sick of Schensch firing up when he draws a foul!

Wednesday night, on Fox and 6,300 fans.

Reply #219663 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

HHMM its kinda hard to understand... IM ready for the rumours!!
I rekon he took his money and ran?? hope thats not the case cause i like the dude, i mean he can play some decent basketball.
so no where from here?? we prob cant afford another import if he doesnt show up!

Reply #219667 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

hodge seems like a decent person... i dont think he'd just do that.

Reply #219671 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

If it wasn't due to a family emergency (either here or in the states), then this is really disappointing. Not just for us, but for his future career; while I can't understand his frustration at not being paid, it's unprofessional to just no-show. He's doing his international career no favours if there wasn't a valid reason.

Reply #219673 | Report this post

Bretts the man  
Years ago

Goodbye Julius and good riddance. I have said for last 5-6 weeks that his ego and attitude stinks before this pay fiasco. Only doing small part of warm up and missing practices for no real reason is not what makes a great team as we saw against Blaze where he got big numbers we still lost to btm team. As good as he is we would not win the championship with him in team. Yes we probably wont win it without him, but bet we play with a lot of heart like we did tonight.
Although not saying club not at any fault here but I reckon we like others suggested we are being played for selfish purposes. Go get Darren Ng or Grizzard and
see how well this team will show they are proud to play for the Sixers and for us supporters not with showmanship but with real genuine passion.
As hard as it would be I would find it very hard to go to a game if Hodge was playing for us now .

Reply #219692 | Report this post

hood 75  
Years ago

agreed big ads,more big stories to come,could be the tip of the iceburg,stadium & team ownerships in limbo,looks like we are limping towards the new revamped nbl.

Reply #219695 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There was a rumour on OzHoops of Grizzard finishing the season with Cairns? Quick, give him a call!

Reply #219697 | Report this post

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Isaac i thought cairns arnt allowed to get imports and that every1 else is on base pay?

Reply #219700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same, and it's probably just a rumour, but maybe a local business person has stepped in to pay?

Reply #219709 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Whatever happens, I don't think we'll see Hodge in a Sixers uniform again. Money issues aside, can you imagine him coming out at the next home game? people are not going to be happy, and rightly so. Even if he is available for Saturday's game, realistically do we want him to play?

We may be in a shitty league in a country that doesn't care about basketball...but the Adelaide 36ers deserve more respect than being a no show for a game - especially since his arrival, he's been the star attraction.

Reply #219721 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Will love to see the outcome of this saga. I was the biggest Hodge fan last year...but my one view of him this year, he did not seem the same player. Still had the talent, but didnt seem to have the passion.

Very sad

Reply #219722 | Report this post

oldcat2  
Years ago

Only last week on here the majority of posts were saying how great Hodge is and the difference he makes to Adelaide. Lets get all the facts before we hang the guy.

Reply #219767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a difference a week makes - each week there's been posts on how Hodge is the saviour and all the talk about him being player of the week every week and now comments are appearing stating he's not that good.

Reply #219770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a great player no doubt, and that is because of his inside scoring ability and drive. He is scoring easily in a undersized league. Hodge is making himself out to be a great medium range/outside shooter for NBA teams, which he isn't.

Reply #219785 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I thank Hodge for lifting the whole team in the way he did. And it did the team good. Without him last night you could see Brett get 'stuck in' and push himself to lift everyone. Way to go Captain!
I want to thank Hodge for coming in and helping when he did. I also think it's OK for him as an individual to pursue his own career in the best way he thinks.
It was good while it lasted.

Reply #219859 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

With Paora's return from injury, wasn't he visually & audibly recorded as saying that Jules was inspirational & lifted everyone at practice?
Just putting it out there.
Flame away, but respect the guy's religious convictions if you would.

Reply #220406 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:33 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754