Suga
Years ago

Hodge reuses to play, axed? Grizzard in line?

FROM GAZE.COM.AU -

HODGE REFUSES TO PLAY, AXED? IS GRIZZARD IN LINE?

In one of the most bizarre happenings in NBL history, or should that be non-happenings, Adelaide 36'ers import Julius Hodge refused to play last night against the Wollongong Hawks and has not made any contact with the club.

A three week battle with the club over a financial dispute. in which Hodge claims he has not been paid for his services, apparently was the reason for Hodge's decision to be a no show at last night's game.

On advice from his agent, Hodge had been told to sit out the teams previous two games, against the Melbourne Tigers and the Gold Coast Blaze, until payment was made but in both instances the matter was resolved on the day of the game and Hodge suited up.

The Sixers believe the matter had all been fixed and Hodge was paid, including an advance on last night's game payment.

Adelaide head coach Scott Ninnis found it all unfathomable after the game, "Of all the scenarios you could imagine, if you told me a player had been paid in advance and then just wouldn't turn up, it's just staggering."

The whereabouts of Hodge put a shadow over the 36'ers home win over the Hawks, a 106-99 decision that kept Adelaide (11-11) in the top six.

One must question the reasoning behind Hodge's decision to not turn up last night, and I wonder out aloud that is he hoping to be axed so he can pursue a few European deals that are believed to have come his way in the past few weeks.

How Adelaide handle this matter will determine their whole season, after already axing Mark Tyndale (13ppg, 6rpg, 3.9apg) eleven games into the season, how is Ninnis going to get around this outrage?

Hodge (26.3ppg 8rpg, 6apg) has played in nine games this season and his arrival has seen the Sixers push up into the playoff stratosphere, but has Hodge crossed the boundary with the team, the club, the players, coaches? Will he be cut?

Everyone will of course have their own opinion, but if the Sixers team feel that the Hodge situation has now gone out of control and decide to axe him, they need look no further than finding a replacement then asking Rod Grizzard.

Grizzard who was cut my Melbourne less than two weeks ago, after scoring 25 points in the Tigers loss to Adelaide, is close by.

But for this to happen, Grizzard would need to be cleared and suited up for the Sixers next game, a home date with the Cairns Taipans on Saturday night, so he can qualify for the playoffs - should the Sixers made the top six at seasons end.

Stay tuned for what is set to be a big few days for the Adelaide 36'ers.

Topic #18622 | Report this topic

Redhead  
Years ago

Hodge you have crossed the line...Goodbye!

Reply #219733 | Report this post

NINO  
Years ago

Sign Grizzard TODAY! Thsi is a must. The Hodge situation can only get uglier and uglier, and with Grizzard, Ballinger and Big Luke, the 36ers are still very very tough to beat, just in a differnt and perhaps more balanced way than with Julius Hodge there! Make it happen please!

Reply #219744 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The team needs a known entity as tehy cant afford a Tyndale type issue right now.

Names that spring to mind.

Ng
Grizzard
Farley
Rashard Tucker
Mike Helms
Cortez Groves

Reply #219746 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Kent - Apart from the fisrt two, you cant be serious?

Reply #219747 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

I'm with you, Skip!

Grizzard's the man, for mine.

Kent, I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking! :)

Reply #219750 | Report this post

Jc  
Years ago

why would you want cortez, a south dragon reject and a crap player which is a waste of an import spot!

Reply #219752 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Remember what Cortez was like at the Hawks pre Goorjian system.

3 on that list have already been contacted, i leave you to work out which 3

Reply #219753 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Hodge reuse to play?

What was he on? Has he gone to rehab? Why did reusing whatever he was on allow him to play?

I'm confused.

Reply #219757 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

We only had a 5-3 split with all the scoring Hodge did in his time. Anybody replacing Turn Over Tyndale would have improved a totally new team this season .
Bring in Grizzard and I will back us to go all the way.
The team will be so united and determined now.
Julius go back to the NBA but mate simply your game without a jump shot isnt good enough to make it.
Go take your ego and money greed elsewhere we are a small city in a struggling comp. but we do have some pride

Reply #219775 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

If true, and the players are angry and upset at him definately cut him. We cannot have this situation its an major embarassement for the team, I would be happy with Grizard or Cortez, definately remember how good he was at the hawks with Balls as a team mate so its worth considering. Very sad moment last night.

Reply #219778 | Report this post

dfsgjh  
Years ago

I will go heave if we use the second import spot for Ng

Bad defender, which means you cant play Ng and Hill together if you want to stop teams scoring on you.

Get Grizzard or Josh Page

Reply #219779 | Report this post

Raytri  
Years ago

"Go take your money and greed somewhere else".
Are you serious Bretts the Man. If this problem with Julius not being paid is an ongoing problem, why is it his fault? Apparently he has suited for previous games where he hadn't been paid until the last minute and had done his bit. From my perspective it is not his fault but the Administration for not rectifying the problem weeks ago. As Brett Maher said in this mornings paper, " the problem has been going on for weeks".
My view is that if we are going to bring in a player of the calibre of Hodge, issues like paying him what he is owed should definitely not be a factor.
And who's to say if we bring in another import he have won't have the same problem.
Hope we haven't lost Julius because of poor administration.

Reply #219792 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's Josh Pace BTW.

I think Brockman's thinking is that we have very little time to qualify a player for finals action so a decision would have to be made very, very quickly - no time for trying to get an unknown in, for example. If the time frame is eight games, well, that's this Saturday. If players can be qualified through games suited for other teams that season, then the urgency might be relaxed if the targets were Grizzard or Groves.

I'd guess that the three contacted would include Ng (was already at the game), Grizzard (makes sense to me), and then Farley might be an outside shot as the third - was told that he's currently in Argentina.

Reply #219793 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

What's the official requirement to qualify an import for finals? Gaze has said he must suit this Saturday night against Cairns, but I thought the rule was 7 games, meaning the Jan 16th Tapains game is our last chance?

It's all heresay, but i'd be very suprised if Hodge is playing the "breach of contract" card (possibly even intentionally delivering incomplete payment transfer details) in an effort to suit OS somewhere.

In his NBA blog, Hodge credits Kiki Vandeweghe (New Jersey GM) for improving his game.

http://linky.com.au/ujzht

Apparently there's 10 day NBA contacts available (35K)...and NJ is now in need of a PG. He also mentions he's "available to make the 15 hour flight back to the States immediately".

Let's suit Griz and get on with trying to win a flag. With the way the guys stepped up last night, we're still very much in contention to pull it off. Time to put uncertainty behind us.

Speaking of - slightly unrelated - where to we stand with the sale of the club to Chem-mart's owner and the sale of the Dome to Venuetix?

Reply #219799 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

^^^ apologies - should read "suprised if he isn't playing the breach of contract card".

And credit Ross for the facts from Hodge's NBA blog.

Reply #219803 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

IMO Grizzard would be our best option, he is Hodge-esque in that he can penetrate, rebound, pass. The plus is that he actually HAS a jumpshot. Sure he may not be able to penetrate as well as Hodge, but I can't see much of a downside to the Grizz.

Have heard he is a super teammate, works hard, trains and was only cut because he didn't fit the shuffle.

Reply #219820 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with Bizzy. Grizzard would be an excellent option! His defence is exactly what we need at the 3 spot.

Reply #219838 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

i'm not really into the whole thing but just not sure if Hodge would actually do that and ruin his reputation? perhaps a little more than that?

Reply #219847 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

"i'm not really into the whole thing but just not sure if Hodge would actually do that and ruin his reputation? perhaps a little more than that?"

I think MONEY when i think of hodge, and of course any one with half a brain would go where the money is, if thier are 10day contracts available then i say go cause he wants to further his career in the NBA and does not care about is reputation here AUS because he wont come back!!!

I Say if not NBA then Euroleague is where he will go

Reply #219912 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

He doesn't cut the mustard in Europe cause he no like to train hard , why do you think he came to Australia . If his Jumpshot matched his running mouth of ego babble he would be NBA material .

Reply #220074 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Cortez would add a bit of fire to a Sixers-Dragons finals series.

Reply #220193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:25 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754