meef
Years ago

Import Suggestions

lets get it up... no more Hodge...

i guess Grizzard is the obvious candidate.

i also like Bobby Jones who is in the D-League... he's a lockdown defender with good rebounding who has 3pt NBA range.

Topic #18632 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

gonna be able to get him here by saturday??

Reply #219947 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Is it definitely 8 games before qualifying for play offs?

Reply #219950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Must be 7 as I think the club might be aiming to have someone in time for the next road game?

Reply #219951 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

Grizzard first choice

Larry Abney? Rather not though.

Carlos Powell? Doubtful

Reply #219953 | Report this post

nino  
Years ago

Crazy but im immediatley excited about the options of a new 'one hit wonder'. Hodge got uis on track, but was no automatic game winner! At 11-11 and hopefully 12-11 after taipans, with the right fit, good things are still to come in '09!

Reply #219955 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Dee brown just got cut from the suns??

Reply #219957 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

griz obvious choice.

Reply #219959 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

This Saturday night's Taipan's game is the 8th game left for the season.

The following Cairns game (Away) is the 7th to last game.

If it's 7 games to qualify, an import wouldn't need to suit here this weekend.

Reply #219961 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Would Brad and his Dad be happy for Abney to sign????

There are a bunch of quality players in the NBA Dleague. But NBA teams can now sign players to 10 day contracts (quite a coincidence hey Julius).
So it may be hard to convince the top level ones to come over straight away.

SF/SG types all around 6'7"
Derrick Byars
Gary Forbes
Ronald Dupree
Antonio Meeking
Luke Jackson
Noel Felix

The last 4 are 27-28yrs old so maybe be more willing to go for the money now.
While Byars and Forbes are younger and may want to stick around for the chance at a late NBA deal.

Reply #219972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we need more of a ball handler/shooter than Grizzard? Getting Grizz in would mean Maher starting with no real option to back him up? Grizz is more of a SF/PF.....where as I feel we need more of a SG/SF? Having said that, time is obviously an issue and I wouldnt be all that disappointed if Grizz was brought in!

Just my opinion...

Reply #219974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I may have missed something here but if Grizzard is so good and we should snap him up why was he let go by the Tigers?

Reply #219980 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Bring in Grizz.
Move Jake to more of a 2/3 man and Hill as a 2/3 man.

Maher as the 2 man
Bruce, Davidson at the point.

Reply #219982 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

He was cut from the Tigers because he didnt fit the tigers system.

I personally would be happy to see him in sixers colours his scoring could be equal to hodge ass= he posseses a good out side shot an can penetrate. With Balls an Luke demanding attention down low it would open up hugely for Grizzards style of game. His defence also would add another dimension to the team as we dont have a great defender at the 3 spot.

Reply #219984 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Re: Abney - to be fair, it was an unintentional accident, and he's apologised numerous times. If Davidson can wear blue after Rees riding him like a surfboard, anything is possible - these guys are proffesionals.

Well, at least the guys we have left are... /cheap shot.

Reply #219987 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

36ers need a great defender in there mix,they have everythimg else.the defence they played last night was terrible,2 to 3 passes in gongers offence and the holes were appearing everywhere.
not only giving up good percentage shots but to good percentage shooters on the gongers team.

Reply #219988 | Report this post

Billy!!  
Years ago

We need scoring as well as defence, we werent winning with tyndale in the mix and honestly he was a good if not great defender in my opinion. I think grizzard is a good replacement as he brings both. His willingness to score and defend is what we need ATM. We need a replacement by saturday....Get it done

Reply #219998 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good point skull the defence last night was spasmodic at the best and the weakness of a lot of out plyrs. But the key issue here is the timing we need someone pronto.

Reply #220001 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

OK im only 24 ive seen my fair share of imports go through the club, but to me the ones who stand out the most Are farley: he loved the game also revved the crowd up and backed it up didnt show pony too much and knew how to throw down. MEE+Brooks i put these 2 together cause they played so well along side one another and when they got split up they wer'nt the same..
I know i know these imports all won championships with us, but for a reason...

What im trying to say we dont a blow out import we need a concistant one ala balinger farley mee brooks.
These are the kinds of imports we need, someone who fits in this criteria of player

Reply #220002 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

i believe thats a dowuble post by coady.

Reply #220006 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

sorry about double post the one in "hodge released......" was accident donno what i was thinking

Reply #220007 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Any chance brad newley would come back...................................

Reply #220013 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Not in the immediate future, no.

Reply #220019 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Last I heard, Derrick Low and Julian Kazzouh were already accounted for in Europe, correct?

Kazzouh might have been a fit.

Reply #220023 | Report this post

dfr  
Years ago

Michael Jordan

Throw the idea at him. Why not what have you got to loose. Sell it to him that it could be some nice pick up basketball for him to play

Reply #220028 | Report this post

ClipR 21  
Years ago

Darius miles.... he just got cut by the Grizzlies today.

Reply #220031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign up Grizzard and hopefully he can have a day out dropping 30 and show Hodge we moved on.

Reply #220034 | Report this post

Agent 15  
Years ago

You cant go for a player who has not played in the NBL, I dont think they would have the time in regards to scouting someone (look how long it takes to scout and sign a player) its a big risk. You would have to say a player like Grizz or Abney would be the way to go.

I would probably go Grizz before Abney, Hodge was a scorer, Grizz can take that role (he didnt fit the system with the Tigers but 36ers is a complete different team).

This is a good lifeline for a player who has been cut or team has folded (ie: Sydney, Cairns, or Grizz) So hopefully some good news come from the bad news of Hodge.

I would strongly stay away from recruiting a new player with minimul scouting, look what Perth did last season with Joe Shipp... worst import signing in the history of the NBL.

Reply #220038 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Perhaps Stephon Marbury will be bought out by the Knicks, obtain a visa, clear immigration, all in time for the Tipans road game. Forget signing with the Celtics, sign with the Sixers - just be sure to have that BSB number sorted.

Reply #220056 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ok well lets think outside the square a bit. This idea may seem way out there but this sort of thing happens in Soccer all the time (albeit not normally within the same league)

How about Mal get on the phone and call Owen Tomlinson who owns the Blaze and see if they can work out a deal that lets the Sixers 'borrow' Justin Bowen. Obviously there would have to be some coin paid to the Blaze for this to work and Justin would eed to be happy but maybe both parties could come to an agreement.
The Blaze are dead this season so losing a player will not impact in any way on their finals chances. Having an import leave would also allow the Blaze to suit up Greg Vanderjaagt in his place giving the Blaze a few more games to test out Vandy (and use him to cover the loss of Casey Frank)
The Sixers then get their ready made swingman to slot stright into the lineup. He proved on New Years that he can certainly play when he is switched on.

I dont even know if this sort of thing is allowed in the NBL but we see players being 'loaned' out by soccer clubs all the time so maybe it could work?

Reply #220062 | Report this post

Years ago

I said it at the time, should of got Luke Jackson instead of Hodge. Anyone who can score 30 pts. in an NBA game is legit.

Reply #220065 | Report this post

Fox 68  
Years ago

Shoulda coulda woulda, we took Hodge enough said.

As of right now, finalise the singing of Rod Grizzard, get on with the job, whish i hear is in the works.

So many holes in the organsisation, I really hope that some of the very key members of the 36er management are made to re-apply for their jobs at seasons end. I think thats where the shake up will begin and the times of looking out for number one are done. A new CULTURE is required, and IMO one or 2 of the volunteers on game nights need to be given full reigns of the operation and management side of things. Simple job description, 'to support both players and fans alike to the best of their ability and put the Adelaide 36ers first'.

Hodge is keen on staying in Australia at the Tigers by the way, so unless some of the NBL heads dont want to be re-applying for their jobs, it's probably in the national comeptitions best interest to find a loop hole (if needed) and not allow Shameless Mcpeake get his man. Hodge flew to melbourne saturday night 'because he loves the nightlife their', dont let this puppets agent dictate the rules of our league.

On the bright side, with Rod Grizzard, as a fan thats bleeds 36ers im very excited about the chances of a solid finish to the season, but ofcourse it all starts with the Taipans on saturday whom we need dominate.

Reply #220085 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Grizzard: Not ideal, but probably the best option here. Someone who can be the starting SG would be perfect but he is a better option than a D-League player who has no NBL experience.
It is too late in the season to sign someone who needs time to 'gel' into the system and league.
Grizzard knows the players (both Sixers and opposition), he knows the referees/rules and he is a proven performer at this level.
There is very little risk involved in signing Grizz and the fact that we would probably be able to get him here quicker than someone overseas is a bonus.
Also, lets not forget that he was regarded as a SG when he originally came to Australia last year, so he probably could be effective at that position anyway. Imagine the freakishly tall lineup of Bruce-Grizzard-Holmes-Ballinger-Schenscher!!! (althouth I'd rather see Maher in there than Jake).

Abney: NO. Reason - Schenscher, Ballinger, Holmes, Cooper. Even if the Birdman could play SF, Grizzard is a better all-round player IMO.

Mark Tyndale: If worst comes to worst and we fail to get someone before our seventh-to-last game (7 games needed for imports to qualify for playoffs), he could become an option - having already played 11.
It may come down to him vs. a local player (Ng/Burdon etc.).
...go on, let me have it.

Reply #220086 | Report this post

Fox 68  
Years ago

Tyndale proved he made the team worse than without his 'services'.

Reply #220089 | Report this post

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

surprised bonzi wells hasnt come up?

Reply #220113 | Report this post

Help Mal  
Years ago

Grizzard is back in the states already so not sure why he would fly back to another Australian team after just getting cut.

Reply #220114 | Report this post

STAT  
Years ago

Help Mal, maybe because hes an out of contract basketballer and a team is offering him a contract? thats money to play the sport he loves by the way.

Reply #220123 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Call me crazy and someone who might belong in the crazy house but has anyone thought of not even bothering. I'm not saying that it will work (i admit it most likely won't), but imagine the 6ers winning everything or coming pretty close with an all Aussie team (count Balls as a aussie as he is almost one).

If that was to happen, i would be interesting, to say the least.

Reply #220133 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

There is no way the current team could win the finals. We barely beat an under manned Hawks team!

Reply #220136 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

bolks - we could also do that "All Aussie Team" if we signed Darren Ng, who has been performing well in the Singapore Challenge Series and knows a lot of the guys in the team already.

Reply #220140 | Report this post

Fox 68  
Years ago

Ng isnt going to offer any real defensive issues for teams. Need a American with knack for scoring and ability to create hos own shot when clock is whinding down. IN ROD WE TRUST...and please lets show him the money!

Reply #220147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's no import, but what about Motts?

Reply #220155 | Report this post

Agent 15  
Years ago

Is this all true about Hodge & the Tigers? surely that cannot be the case? Points system wouldnt allow it? Also Dave Thomas is he not an import? This is one thing ive not been sure about as I thought he was (meaning Ere & Thomas are the 2 imports)...

As for 36ers I did see Ng at the game so maybe he could be a possible signing? I feel sorry for the 36ers as they are fighting for a playoff spot, close to the end of the season and now need to either find an import/new player quickly or go without...

Reply #220182 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Motts is, IMO, on par with Cooper, who is getting about 10 mins a game lately. That would be a pointless signing.

Reply #220183 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Rod "Cool Runnings" Grizzard would easily fit the 3 spot and personally I think would play the role better than Holmes presently is. Unfortunately with Big Red and Balls, Holmes primary use is not really needed considering the pair of them grab an average of 13-20rpg combined.

Grizzard has scoring power, perimeter shooting and can dunk. You want an inside/outside guy at the 3 and he fills the spot. Better shooting action than Abney and his "one hand" shooting technique.

Carlos Powell would be an nice pickup since no one seems to have taken interest since he join Dakota in the D-League.

Reply #220207 | Report this post

Fox 68  
Years ago

Powell doesnt pass the ball and is hard character to click with off court. Grizzard would be easiet/safiest/most desired by fans pick and the idea of him getting to rpove himself against the Tigers in a final is awesome!

Just thought, if Hodeg does become a tiger, he will quickly not like westover. Al dont take any shit, and Julius will not like that on his 'summer holiday' in our league. He doesnt respect the league enough to take any critisim IMO

Reply #220209 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marty - Powell would be a mistake. You'd get the same sort of dramas as with Hodge, but perhaps less friendly to players and fans. Note that to both Powell and Hodge, Goorjian has been eager enough to proclaim either "probably the best player in the league" - I actually think this is a conscious tactic by Goorj to let such info go to the heads of the respective player and force them further out of the team structure and into a solo game.

Reply #220306 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754