Run TMC
Years ago

OKC and Memphis

Both Oklahoma and Memphis have thrown their young players in the deep end over the last couple of years. I was wondering what people's thoughts are on whether or not they will be playoff teams in the next five years if they keep their young stars together.

Memphis have three rookies playing significant minutes (Mayo, Gasol and Arthur) plus 2nd year Conley and two 3rd years in Gay and Lowry.

While OKC have three top 5 picks form the last two drafts in Durant, Green and Westbrook. They could also potentially add Oklahoma college star and PF Blake Griffen to their line up next year.

Will these guys be good enough to take these two teams to the playoffs over the next five years? What do they need to add?

Personally, I really like the way Memphis is heading. I think they need to work out who will be their PG ASAP out of Lowry and Conley and trade the other for a PF or C. I also think Gasol will only ever be a backup/role player so another big in the draft would also be good.

As for OKC I think if they add a player like Griffen they will be playoff regulars in a few years time (assuming the highly unlikely case that they all stay put - I'd expect Durant to be out of there the first chance he gets)

Topic #18646 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

OKC and Memphis now are what Portland was 3 years ago. No doubt Portland has had some luck, but they probably had one of the best GM's in Kevin Pritchard running the show.

There is a theme going around that when Portland wins a trade, then they refer to it as 'being Pritch-slapped'. Pritchars slapped the Bulls around with that LMA for Tyrus swap a few years ago, and also set up the franchise for a long time in the 2006 draft, where they got Roy, LMA and Sergio (Freeland was the one bad pick).

Over the years he's been buying mid-late 1st round draft picks from other teams. He's made some good trades.

I see Memphis and OKC following the same path, and especially Memphis being back in the playoff hunt after a few years.

Reply #220240 | Report this post

wan-julius-ker  
Years ago

both of these teams should be in the mix within a few years, assuming players don't want out. it may actually happen earlier for both of them, as both teams have a lot of cap room opening up.

maybe put sac into this category as well. they haven't had the high (and high profile) picks, but their GM drafts well. they have a real young core of hawes, thompson, greene...add kevin martin, a top 5 pick this year and cap room coming up.

Portland are lucky in that money is no issue for Pritchard, who is always willing to buy picks or give cash considerations to move up spots in the draft. Most small town teams don't have that luxury. Prtichard has definitely stolen some great players via trade. The Roy for Foye trade may end up being not so one-sided however.

Reply #220256 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Memphis is a funny one, they always have excellent players (Bibby, Gasol, Williams etc) but was never able to win for some reason and have the reputation to lose their stars, with their current line up no doubt they're talented as hell but will history repeat itself?

Reply #220257 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

TR is on the money.
It will all rely on excellent managemanet over the next few years.
Making good draft choices and trades will determine if they will be consistently medicore (ie GSW, Toronto, Bucks).
Or they cna take the next step and compete for a top 4 spot in their conference (ie Blazers, Hawks).

In the West it looks like Dallas, Spurs, Suns and Houston are on the down slide with their star players getting past their primes.

So the oppurtunity is there it will just take some luck and some excellent team management to grasp it.

Reply #220259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Memphis can be a really successful team in the future, providing they hang onto OJ Mayo.
IMO, he is their future franchise player. He is the face of the franchise.

Reply #220367 | Report this post

SKUX01  
Years ago

Portland, OKC and Memphis will all be top teams in the future. But:

-Memphis will need to hang onto OJ Mayo and build around him
-OKC will need to hang onto Durant and Green: Ultimately they could make up one of the best combos in the game
-Portland will need to continue to develop and hold onto Roy, Oden,Aldridge and Fernandez.

Reply #220369 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Don't forget the need to add solid pro vets to a young team. They are crucial to young teams and i think both OK and Mem need to have those cagey vets to help steady the young ships through a full NBA season.

The success and development of these two franchises could well hang on the players they get to surround the young talent..

Reply #220927 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754