Moses Guthrie
Years ago

Missed the Hodge thing: What happened?

Strewth, a guy heads off to Port Lincoln for a few days for some quite R&R and the entire Hoops SA world goes into its very own global meltdown.

A few quick questions (and apologies for starting a new thread on the subject but I couldn't resist).

Does anyone have a recap on what happened with the 36ers and Hodge in 30 words or less?

What happened to Hodge's youtube videos? Was looking forward to having a look.

And the most important question - it's Sunday now, a good time to look back on the week that was. Will Mal and the club look back on the week and say "I wish we could do that week again" or is it more of a case of "At least that's over with"?

My take on the whole saga? Having missed it playing out bit by bit ..... Julius dude, you need to sack your agent, and fast. He's painting you in one very bad light. And good luck with the 10-day contract.

Topic #18678 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

Does anyone have a recap on what happened with the 36ers and Hodge in 30 words or less?

Hodge missed trainings on numberous occasions and was going to sit out GC & Melb games due to "apparently" not getting paid. Was paid up until February and then just didn't rock up to the Gong game, was subsequently shipped out.

What happened to Hodge's youtube videos? Was looking forward to having a look.

They were removed at the request of the club I believe.

And the most important question - it's Sunday now, a good time to look back on the week that was. Will Mal and the club look back on the week and say "I wish we could do that week again" or is it more of a case of "At least that's over with"?

I would be thinking the latter "At least that's over with". I sure as hell know Ninny is glad it's over.

Reply #220827 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

A harsh Summary:

The club has come out squeaky clean & Jules is wearing the lot.

BTW, I'm surprised people are inferring that Jules will be a Tiger, does no-one believe Andrew Gaze? : P

Reply #220838 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

DDFan,

The club in now way has come out squeaky clean, just that Jules is a liar.

Reply #220843 | Report this post

Humpa  
Years ago

the real truth...

after hodge missed a few training sessions + a game, i told him i no longer have the heart to take a bullet for him, unless he can beat me in basketball. we played a pick-up game, and i oblitereated him 21-6... so he and his agent made up some payment excuse to quit the sixers and he's on his way to the US to train.

when he comes back he'll be a Melbourne Tiger.

Reply #220847 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, I'm surprised people are inferring that Jules will be a Tiger, does no-one believe Andrew Gaze? : P
When it comes to his club, much less than usual.

As Boti pointed out today, McPeake and Westover might be less-inclined to make a change if Kendall and DT look like improving the team.

Reply #220876 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, where did Boti point that out? did not see that in any papers/online.

Reply #220877 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

What's Boti's take on this? Has he written a "Boti speaks" article to give us his views yet?

Thanks to a certain ABL coach for the heads up on the videos still being on the Advertiser site ..... but the club shouldn't ask for them to be deleted - sounds too much like Senator Conroy and his internet censorship thing. Let people think what they want to think.

Reply #220883 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hodge was highly paid, and there's a salary cap. So we may not get the full story.
He went to melbourne, last week-end. On wed there was a bit of talk that's where he's gone, seeing he didn't turn up at the game.

Reply #220886 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

How many posters have an involvement with the club, whether it be directly employed, indirectly employed, provide services for the club, or are on a kickback?
There's an awful lot of smoke being blown around here.

Reply #220891 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I don't have any official involvement with the club.
I live next to the dome, and follow the comings and goings. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong.
Sometimes I just get frustrated when I hear certain things that are happening or not happening, at the dome. Yet I SEE something completely different.

Reply #220893 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

30 words. Tough challenge. Here's my attempt:

Sixers paid Hodge late (or not). International transfers delayed. Hodge threatens to walk. Sixers pay Hodge in advance with handshake. Hodge disappears. Turns out Hodge talks crap. Club generally believed.

Reply #220897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac, where did Boti point that out?
In an email - sorry, could've made that clearer.

DD, only people involved along those lines that I'm aware of would be skip, bizzy, Ben Fitz and myself. Ben Fitz would be the only known poster here to have spoken with Julius since the issues arose and it seems from my read that that experience (and their discussions off camera) have solidified (reversed even?) his opinion on the matter. That carries more weight with me than potentially biased info from the club or Hodge's video/letters.

Biased vs informed?

Wonder if Hodge has re-read his contract (and the part about payment dates) yet?

Reply #220898 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Pretty good XY.
Seems Melbourne unlikely, Isaac.
I'm sorry- off topic.. just things like Maher interview on 6pm TV news, how he's looking forward to Heal.. When I'd seen blaze rock up lunch time for a bit of training ( that people tell me didn't happen) With NO Heal.. Sorry. I sometimes get frustrated.....

Reply #220902 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

DDfan, please explain your background in Basketball. No names but what do you (have done) or know?. Some of us have seen this before, but I will not make a comment until you explain your background. When you do not want to explain that is OK. But you talk the talk.

Reply #220903 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Sure, I started playing at age 12 & was an immediate factor in the league. Won Most Improved that year playing in the Green & Gold. My playing number was #4, & I was Darryl Pearce's childhood idol so, he copied my game & wore my number. That cheesed me off so I went for #10 & Mike McKay stole that. #23 was pretty rare so I snared that, but by that time I was admired around the World & some Nike sponsored upstart ripped off my Dunlop Volleys with the #23 on them & branded his own.
I was then poached by another club.
I could go on, but I don't want to come across as being self-promoting or I'll get flamed.

No go to bed.

Reply #220909 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

So you are a nobody trying to be somebody on this forum?

Reply #220912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We all are, but most of us annoy fewer people along the way. ;)

DD, what about Heal? Were you his idol or was he yours?

Reply #220918 | Report this post

Allkait  
Years ago

Just one question on all the goings on:-

The late payment was apparently due to 4 digits on the account number being wrong.

But doesnt Hodge claim it is the exact same number that earlier payment(s) had successfully gone into?

If so, it would be an interesting one to hear the club expain.

Reply #220930 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

I saw Julius yesterday he in Melbourne now...

Reply #220931 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

When did he get here. November. They made a payment in November, that he got. That sounds like an early payment, to me.
The Dec. payment - is the one where the digits got mixed up. Which was sent to his agent, and got held up.
The sixers say there 2 different account numbers.
Hodge says it was the same account number. ? .

Reply #220935 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Working in a Bank, to clarify for people. When we do an international transfer, we put all of the info through the computer. It gets sent to out International department in Sydney. IF there is any problems with the numbers they will call you back within the next hour or so and tell you that there are numbers missing. They will only send the payment once it has all the numbers.

So basically that part sounds a bit sus to me. Although, They may be able to send the payments themself via Business/Internet Banking. Not sure how they opperate.

Reply #220938 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

there seems to be an excess of conspiracy theories abounding, however it seems both the club and JH have acknowledged there were late payments, however they were fixed and future payments were made.

Anyone who wants to question this should direct their questions to...

http://linky.com.au/ek4db

Reply #220967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The first payment (in November) was done manually and the second payment (the late one) was electronic with the 4 digits missing because pea brain and his agent are stupid.

Reply #220985 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Quote from Advertiser - 'The 36ers agreed, coach Scott Ninnis yesterday saying it was "almost a relief" the irrepressible American was no longer a Sixer.
"When you've got someone putting himself out there that they're the hardest working player in the NBL and after games they're lifting weights and doing extra training . . . and it's a crock of you know what, that effects the team," he said. ' (Unprofessional comments IMO)
Me thinking out loud.... JH did get SN out of the s**t when he arrived to an extent. Maybe JH didn't thrive under his 'direction' (or lack thereof), saw through the 'lack of experience', probably made it known , ergo, SN glad to see him go because he could see coaches 'shortcomings' Hence the parting shot about 'crock of you know what'"
Not saying it is all true, but you never know...

Reply #221084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

George Karl spoke of Hodge's bad attitude in 2006. Is he inexperienced?

Julius failed to show for training in the first week and didn't notify anyone. He went on to skip trainings and club functions without warning after that and before he thought payments were becoming an issue.

The crock of shit was not showing up to a game after accepting payment and shaking the owner's hand.

Reply #221098 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What else could he have done a few measly hours before the game? He'd obviously already given up, I'd be surprised if anyone would not just shake hands and say 'sure, all is Ok' and just high tail it out of there without wanting to have an altercation.
No different to being told 'It'll be in the bank tomorrow', only to find it wasn't. People say what they have to 'for the sake of peace.' Not like he hadn't already heard a few 'crocks of you know what..'

Reply #221103 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He was skipping trainings before the supposed payment problems. Then he was unhappy about late payments when, according to his contract, he was actually getting paid early. For the Dec 15 payment, I believe he was actually paid on Dec 7!

Fast forward to the Hawks game and he could easily have explained his position to Hemmerling and/or called the coach/captain rather than not showing up at all. The "crock" comment came after all of that, and wasn't out of line IMO.

Reply #221105 | Report this post

Years ago

So Dana, i guess Brett Maher was unprofessional too?
But you are right, Julius did get Ninnis out of the shit. We went from 7th to 6th while the chosen one was here!
Fair dinkum, get some perspective!

Reply #221107 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

Sorry Dana, you have lost me!
Mal is many things WITH credibility:
CEO Australian Formula1 Grand prix(multi prize winning while in Adelaide!)
CEO Sydney Olympics 2000(purportedly best one so far)
Chairman NBL Board
'Fellow Member"of the Australian Institute of Directors
$3.95m Joint owner of the Distinctive Home Dome.
I've put this up before.I think he could organise a contract .I mean if he could deal with Bernie Ecclestone of Formula1 and win for Adelaide "Best Of Tracks" in the MultiBillion Dollar Industry....C'MON??
The Hodge doth protest too much,methinks(Quote from Hamlet).

Reply #221116 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

What's Boti's take on this? Has he written a "Boti speaks" article to give us his views yet?

Boti, if you're reading this, thanks for telling us what you think. It's almost as if you were thinking what I was writing/asking ..... ;-)

Reply #221124 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Isaac a few hours ago:

DD, what about Heal? Were you his idol or was he yours?

I was hoping you wouldn't bring that up. Brings back horrible memories of that kid following me round everywhere. Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!

BTW, a bit of trivia. Did you guys know Shane billoted here in Adelaide in his younger years?

To ???, my background is loving the game & the 36ers since '85. I yack to anyone & everyone (hence my overbearing presence here), & not surprisingly the conversations drift towards basketball & the 36ers. Not that I push it, but it's hard to avoid when people ask what I get up to on the weekend or whatever. Having 'fessed to being a compulsive yacker, it's been uncanny that I've come across people with family ties, or have been friends of players' family. Small world here in the 'laide.

If you want the dirt on the ol' DD, your best bet would be to catch up with the current Team Manager. We spent a lot of time together last season & he knows how I tick. I think you'll be surprised.

BTW, NONE of my info has come through him, I respect his position & wouldn't pull that kind of stunt. A lot my stuff just comes from rock solid people giving me the drum, I don't chase a thing.

Reply #221158 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

So you started supporting the team a year after me.

Reply #221211 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Boti wrote , last night, ' For those that missed the Hodge thing ' - ( I only just saw it.. Good onya Moses and Boti.

Jules - " What times training ? Phil won't mind if I'm a day or two late. Oh! It's not Phil."

It's a good read.

Reply #221217 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by ???

"So you started supporting the team a year after me."

Does that change anything? I actually only caught on at the very end of the '85 season, through being impressed with a Brian Kerle news snippet for the finals series here.

Reply #221226 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

BTW, have I answered your previous question to your satisfaction?

Now I've got a question for you.

Who is Uncle Rocco?

Reply #221227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is no place to discuss experimentation within your family. it aint HOOPS TAS.

Reply #221233 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

That's really funny Anonymous, whether you be male or female, I won't push you for a double header.

Where are the humour Natzis now ???

Apologies if this post appears twice, it seems the site is overloaded. That's out of my control at precisely 13:09:46.

Reply #221280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754