Choppies
Years ago

Goose-stepping down memory lane ...

Rather than me rambling on in other topics about stuff that doesn't relate, I thought I'd start my own to discuss with others all the great (and not so great) Sixers memories. And I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have to space my responses out, or I'll end up taking up the whole thread! Does anyone else remember ...

The Al Green goose-step.
Just when you thought he couldn't run any faster, he'd do his goose-step stride and whooosh he's off!

The Darryl Pearce inbound shuffle.
He was warned by the ref not to move from that spot on the sideline on the inbound pass. So what does he do? Moves again ... and we lose a crucial possession.

The Orlando Phillips last gasp game winner.

Ken Cole getting suspended for giving the Sydney Supersonics crowd the finger. Then later his suspension for ummm inhaling?

Ken Cole's pimp daddy bling bling outfits. So much snake skin, fur and diamonds!

The woman booed off for trying to incorporate "far out" into the national anthem for retro week.

Kevin Brooks' shooting style.
It was all arms and elbows, and never looked pretty, but when it went in the crowd went wild.

Paul Rees' three point shots.
See above.

And Apollo stadium memories ...

The quadruple overtime game between the Boomers vs Big East. Boomers won because the Americans refused to take the court for the final seconds of the game.

The crowd seated on the stage, holding up signs and waving behind the basket to distract free throw takers. I particularly remember someone holding up a round target and spinning it to hypnotise the shooter, and also someone dangling a rubber chicken hehe.

Jeff Hayes and John Wesley (R.I.P.) often dropping 50points for the Buffaloes (SEABL - feeder league for NBL).

That's all for now, more to come I'm sure.

Topic #18682 | Report this topic

Beagle  
Years ago

A 21-2 (including 18-0) run in the first half against Brisbane a few years ago, consisting of 6 (count 'em, six!) triples (including a couple from Mark Davis) plus a 3-point play from Mark Nash. That blitz really got the Powerhouse (I still have difficulty thinking of it as the Dome) rocking!

Peter Walsh's post match interviews - especially when Reesy was the interviewee.

Reply #220919 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Was introduced to the NBL during the days of Bill Jones (favourite player at the time) and Apollo.

Always liked Kevin Brooks' trademark through the legs and back move.

Wonder Boy at the old Sturt Stadium. That triangle formed by girders in the NW corner of the stadium that kids would use as a ring when the courts were occupied.

Reply #220920 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Some of my favourite memories are in the stands. The Bad Boys of early Powerhouse days and the game by game antics they would get up to - particularly getting stuck into Kruger? (sp?). The well dressed Rose Club (that was Bonz wasn't it?). Even the support Rees received up behind us was funny to hear. And one can not forget all the David Stiff one liners from the crowd.

Reply #220923 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Darnell blocking 11 shots at point guard...

Maher taking the Gaze charge to win the play-off game...

Mark Davis busting out for an even 40 in his declining years....

David Stiff setting a new NBL record with 17 pivots on the left foot (may have made that one up..)

Reply #220937 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

The 'Lock Up Your Broomsticks' tour / North Melbourne Giant finals series for me. Good times.

Darnell's 'sub me in coach' - Statue of Liberty - leaves ball on baseline and gets back into three-point D stance without saying a word when Goorj's boy spat during a game.

Anything Rose ever did.

Butch Hay's 360' dunk.

Any Trimmingham dunk ever.

Mark Davis walking through an opposing team huddle, grinning ear to ear "My house".

Reply #220941 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Ahhh Wonderboy , what a game .

Sturt and Forestville stadiums .

State champs GF day at FV court 1 . massive crowd settlin in for the whole day followed by presentations and sizzler .

Late 80's early 90's donuts at athol park .

Brett Maher cutting sick in the 97 playoffs , the game against the Wildcats in Perth stands out , he was sublimely zoned and with that cheeky smile that lets you know he is in it .

Then smashing the Magic in brilliant style to win the title .

98 wasn't too bad either .

The old State league grand finals .

Ron Nunnelly rocking up to games blitzed , then scoring 50 odd on an average night .

Reply #220947 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Ahh Cripes the triangle , forget bout that one ... nice

Reply #220949 | Report this post

kman  
Years ago

MY FAVOURITES Back 3 or 4 seasons ago when we would always start strong, we won 4 or 5 consecutive games by 1 or 2 points, Maher and Farley were awesome but Brett Maher hitting the game winners regularly with his drives and pull ups. Brooks was always a great one to watch a true showman.

WORST Wollongong, that rediculous call on Mee to give them free throws ignoring the charge Maher took, ignoring the fact we could line up but were not allowed. Lowery with his rattlers hurt bad.

Reply #220952 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Whoops sorry choppies , taken a bit off track .

Reply #220956 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

1994 game one of the grand final against the Giants - crowd so loud made your spine tingle. Still have nightmares about Dmac's shot.

Singing the 36'ers club song after the Sixers swept the Magic in the 1998 grand final. Was watching the game at the Arkaba. Remember seeing some of the bad boys in the crowd in Melbourne with brooms giving them a sweep when we had the game won.

"We are the 36'ers, the team for one and all
The pride of South Australia
Our game is basketball
We'll run and jump and shoot to win
Our victory is no doubt
We are the best team in the land
So come on all, let's shout!"

2002 playoffs especially the series against the Titans where we won game one in Melbourne and Reesy threw one down. I remember watching the game at the Rosemont and high fiving everyong there after we'd won. Game three at home was sensational - the Titans had the lead in the second half and we reeled them in to complete another finals win over a Goorj coached team. I remember Rees pumping his fist in an exaggerated motion towards Goorj when the game was won. Brilliant.

Reply #220983 | Report this post

36ers of the 80's doing their warumps to "Do you wanna funk" by Sylvester. Don't remember it?? Limewire it and it will bring it all back.

Sixer girls opening up with "Footloose". Whoa!!

Reply #221001 | Report this post

Choppies  
Years ago

That Dave Simmons hack that dislocated Mark Davis' shoulder in the 94 semis against the Tigers. Was half the reason why we didn't come home with the Championship vs the Giants.

Dmac doing his knee in Mark Davis' testimonial exhibition game. He leapt up for the dunk/layup and his knee gave way, he went airborne and hit the deck hard.

Celebrating with the players after the 1998 GF win in Melbourne. Singing "One Cattalini, there's only one Cattalini".

Chris Blakemore vs Martin Cattalini punchups.

(anyone know where Blakemore or Brad McKinnon are now?)

The Sixers stomp - stomp stomp clap clap clap clap-clap-clap-clap clap clap

Semi final loss at Apollo vs Phil Smyth and his Canberra Cannons. And another one vs Bruton, Crawford & Pinder and the Perth Wildcats. John Farnham's "Take The Pressure Down" still gives me chills. And I recall walking across the court after the game with everyone else, tears in my eyes as we'd just been eliminated from finals, and Louis Armstrong's "What A Wonderful World" was playing. I didn't think it was so wonderful.

Woodville Warriors SEABL games at Athol Park. Nunnely dropping ridiculous numbers, I seem to recall he came close to beating Al Green's record of 63??

Yeah those cheer girls coming out to "Footloose" for so many years. Now I gotta cut loose WOOH footloose WOOH.

I can remember a couple of warm-up songs ... "Final Countdown" ... ummm "don't push me cos I'm close to tha eeeeedge" ... and in recent years when the guys came out to "Rollin" by Limp Bizkit.

The Mascots .. from Doc the clown, to the Pura Milk Monster, and the many incarnations of Murray Magpie / Sam Dunk. Anyone remember the "Gym Wits" half time acrobatics?

How many backboard breakages have we had? I remember one at Apollo that took about an hour to do because the backboard was suspended from the roof/wall with cables. I think there was one at the Powerhouse (I still can't get used to calling it the Dome).

Reply #221028 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

Remember the Gym Wits at half time. Also the semi final loss against the Cannons, Phil Smyth was awesome that game. It was obvious why they called him the general.

My best memory is the Appollo bar after the 86 final. We used someone as a batering ram to get through some locked doors. Yep it worked a treat.

Sitting behind the sixers bench in 86 and Ken Cole would some times aknowledge a comment etc. Pure Gold.
Just sitting behind the bench with Ken Cole as coach was great.

Walking into Appollo and saying hi to Al Green doing warm up in the corridor to the bar.

Appollo swaying when everyone stamped their feet on the wooden floor baords.

Ahh too many memories ;-)

Reply #221101 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:10 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754