skip
Years ago

Is the Dome becoming a Fortress again?

Just looking over the results from the past 3 seasons. We have won our last 6 home games in a row. Previous to that, the most strung together is 4.

It would be great to make our last three all wins as well against the Blaze, Breakers and Wildcats.

Would certainly make it a feared venue come playoff time.

Topic #18687 | Report this topic

Spinner  
Years ago

This feels a bit like 2002 when we were "rebuilding" and ended up winning in game 3 at a packed out Dome.

I still say that was better than 100K at the MCG!!

Can we shock all the doubters again?!

Go Sixers!!

Reply #220968 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

It's definitely feeling that way. There's been a few comments in the league lately at how Adelaide has the best atmosphere, even Al Westover said that it was a harsh place for opposition teams to play.

Whoever decided to cut back the 'disco' atmosphere a little (after some scathing criticism from Ken Cole in the paper) really did well. 2 years ago the crowd got drowned out by top 40 songs, now every defensive possession seems to get a great 'defense' chant going.

I think also, we have a lot of players this year that the crowd can really get behind; Maher obviously, but also Ballinger, Schensch, Davidson, Brad Hill is starting to have that effect also.

Reply #220973 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Amen re: disco *shudders*

Crowd numbers and noise are up. Can't wait for that play off intensity to come into full effect.

Offtopic - We should replace the guy in the Magpie suit with someone that spends the whole game interacting with the crowd / waving their arms around and such. *ponders*

Reply #220979 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Skip I must say the music has been great this year generally. You have really worked out what works well and what doesn't.

The defense chant and the slow clap thing has really worked well - good work

Reply #220984 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Cheers Bluey, always appreciate any feedback.

Loco - What is Murray doing currently? I don't look out for him during whilst the play is happening, but whenever I do see him, he is interacting with the crowd, if not even sitting with them.

Reply #220987 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Murray's fine, skip - was a tongue in cheek cheap shot at the recently departed.

He's usually sat in the crowd somewhere / walking around etc. We should come up with some more controversial on court antics for him...like UFC style bouts with opposing mascots at half time.

Although, next time Brett is shooting his 100 free throws, Mr. Magpie better be at the other end with the slingshot :p

Reply #220988 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

yeh it must get hot in maggie suit, cause he tends to dissapear alot during the middle parts of quarters,I much prefer the Murray of old cause he done lots of athletic type stuff, like flips and stuff!!!!and was much more interactive... like the red button on a fox remote

Hey how good would it be if they bought the trampoline dudes back from the early 90's, or doesnt anyone remeber that?? i was only about 7-8 i can still remember.... now that was entertaining!

Reply #220989 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Murray better than previous years least trying to do something but not back to doing the length of court hand walk etc.way long ago. Crowd getting involved more again.
But the half time entertainment Wow . Hope Vilis didnt pay too much for that dancer comedian or whatever he was on sat night

Reply #220991 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

Thats because Murray hasnt been here for a few years, so yes you can say better then murray o previous years..
Half time was weak as P*%s,

Reply #220992 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I think it would have been great if all the kids that were there on Wednesday night had been sat at the ends of the courts behind the baskets.

Woould have looked great on Fox to have all those seast filled with them bashing those sticks together as the Gong took their shots.

Anything that can be done to build the atmosphere.

Reply #220996 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

somehow i think they need to bring back the culture of the clipsal clapper for free throws or something equivalent. I have said it before i like the idea of cow bells which would make a hell of a sound but that is a little out there and not that user friendly.

I just like the idea of something the crowd can rally behind to try and affect the game and become a staple of the fans.

Reply #221010 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Distribute 6,000 blue and yellow air horns.

Reply #221019 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

I remeber the tramploine guys from the early 90's. I think they were called the Gym Wits. To get them for some half time entertainment would be fine but I feel we over did it a tad last time.

I also liked Murray's acrobatic antics of the past but we have to realise it is not the same person and those acrobatic antics must have been very difficult ( I would fall flat even with out the suit LOL).

Yes I think the crowd involvment is increasing but it also seems that we have a reason too. Certainly the long term season ticket holders near me and myself included are getting more involved. The team seems to play with more passion, more willing to stand up for themselves and each other.

Music is fine, it is good that it has toned down a bit. It adds more to the atmosphere instead of dominating it.

Half time entertainment for me is alchohol and a chance to stand up so not really bothered. Only see the last few minutes any way.

Reply #221022 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Good to see that they are selecting people from further back to sit on the couch too......wasn't really fair getting people from the front rows to sit there.

Some people near me(Row J in the NW corner) sat on the couch a couple of games ago and they said that the view and atmosphere is better where we sit and you can't hear the opposiiton bench or the players on court.

Yes Skip, you are doing a great job - we will have to see if we can get the whole crowd singing "Goodbye" if we get to end somebody else's finals race - won't be 20,000 but still bloody good!!!!

Reply #221024 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

one thing i would love to see, for the last home game of the regular season, the club gives away free blue and yellow shirts, to have a duke (college) affect, would look great on fox. it would be expensive, but it could be worth it for the fans.

Reply #221030 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Why the last home game - why not the first??

Reply #221035 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

My understanding is that's it's not viable from a lighting point of view (as the stadium lights take a while to heat up) but the lights out Chicago Bulls-esque introductions as done in Perth for many years is a great pre-match hype up. Goosebumps everytime.

Reply #221037 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

Spinner - i said last so that people can keep the tops for the play-offs, and would get people coming back to see the finals, i would love it in any game, espec. games on fox!

Reply #221039 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

even sell cheap T shirts, for around the five dollar mark, could be done, and would be effective. wouldn't cost the club that much, if production number was high blue shirts, yellow print.

Reply #221048 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

thats an idea, i would buy one of them to wear, imagine behind each ring filled with blue and yellow....

Reply #221050 | Report this post

Coady  
Years ago

yeh they have tryen the light intro here a couple of years ago, and am lead to believe as i was working the 1st home game this season that lights were out and had good intro... the light s dont take that long to warm up, its the warm Down that is the problem, when they are switched off they cant be turned straight on!

Reply #221054 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

I've loved what Murray's been doing. He gets up into the crowd. I heard him cop it a bit on saturday night though during the game, because whenever he gets into the crowd, or even along the sidelines, anyone sitting behind him cracks it that they can't see the game.

FYI, by law, mascots aren't allowed to be in a costume for more than 20 minutes at a time.

Reply #221058 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Chris - as someone who has done alot of similar work before, I can tell you there is no such law.

Reply #221062 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Speaking of half time 'entertainment', if they're gonna do any food stuff, ie popcorn, donuts, etc, how about having the big broom/mop things ready to clean up immediately afterwards rather than the rush to pick up crumbs 10 seconds before the game is due to restart? (Better still, don't have food on the court at half time.)

Reply #221081 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Dana,

Should we stop the players drinking near the court too, incase they spill some water and don't clean it up?

Reply #221086 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Food Bizzy, not drink..

Reply #221087 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Thread Title:
Is the Dome becoming a Fortress again?

Yeh, Fort Glandville. Weslo have their hands full with knobs each week. : P

Reply #221092 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Is there a difference Dana? So it would have been ok if they were having drinking contests and spilt it?

Reply #221096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, Ben Fitz went out to clean up with the mop after the competition. Must've missed a few crumbs, I guess.

Reply #221097 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

All I'm saying is that there should be someone ready to sweep up there (besides Ben Fitz & co who work hard enough) with a broom etc. The foxtel camera person was pushing back popcorn that last time. It took quite a long time for someone to come back with a broom. The players were already out wanting to warm up and one of these days, someone is going to slip on something and injure themselves.

Reply #221102 | Report this post

DJM  
Years ago

Spinner - the only problem with our area and not the Mutual Community couch is that no one fills up an esky of drinks for us to drink FOC in the north western corner. (Although it was all non alcoholic!)

Reply #221123 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Dana, we work hard at halftime to try and clean up as soon as possible but there is only a small number of us and sometimes it can be difficult to have it all done before the teams are back out.

We do try our best.

Reply #221132 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i agree with dana - its a waste of effort
simple dont do it

Reply #221147 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

The only thing Murray is good for is pelting those balls thrown at the end of the game into unsuspecting spectators.

Reply #221150 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

It's always fun seeing supposedly-mature adults turn into rabid neanderthals whenever a free pair of socks is flung their way.

Reply #221189 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Bizzy etc. I think you guys do a great job. What I'm saying is that there needs to be someone else there ready right at the end to help you guys clean up.

Reply #221193 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

back to the fan involvement side of things... now we have grizz... Rasta wigs, available from cheap shops everywhere!! imagine the crowd donning grizz like dreadlocks for his first home game!

Reply #221198 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

We need to get Grizz and his dreads into a Predator mask for his introduction to the crowd.

Reply #221204 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

I'd like extend Dana's point to read that consideration should be given in deciding what is appropriate for 1/2 time entertainment. If there's the slightest possibility of something being missed in a clean up, & players are at risk, then it should not get the nod.

Reply #221222 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Balanced by Mal for what might bring in money that keeps the club alive.

Sweat on the court and spilled drink bottles would create a much greater risk than a couple of donut crumbs IMO.

Reply #221224 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Only do food things when we play the Blaze. Pero would vacuum up the crumbs before you ask!

Reply #221225 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Personally, I'd like to see Murray minding his own business, interacting with fans... when a team of ninjas wearing opposing club headbands rappel from the ceiling, forcing the Dome's favourite bird to launch into an epic beat down, Jet Li style.

Bodies flying everywhere, Skip cranking the ol' school bad lip-sync martial arts movie dialogue and sound effects "Wanna fight?! Fight ME! Ki-ya!"

Yeah, I drank a bit last night.

Reply #221230 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

On a serious sorta note, what other things could the crowd be doing to make it a more intimdating place to play?

I've often been given the suggestion of everyone standing and clapping until the sixers score their first bucket.

Reply #221237 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

DB5: I thought Mal recruited Ryan Kersten for that same reason?

Reply #221244 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Skip - I personally like the stomp and clap to "We Will Rock You", especially with 5,000+ when we're on D.

Maybe crank that at the start of a quarter when it's not our arrow until the opposition scores? Little generic I'll grant you, but I like the ol' skool routines.

Reply #221259 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

Posted by Isaac "within the hour":

"Balanced by Mal for what might bring in money that keeps the club alive."

Yeh, donut eating & popcorn's all about basketball & keeping the game alive, forgoing the possibility of injuring players. You mentioned balanced? And who said it was on Mr Hemmerling, do you know that for FACT?

"Sweat on the court and spilled drink bottles would create a much greater risk than a couple of donut crumbs IMO."

Sweat on the court is indeed a problem, but spilt drink bottles would be a minor occurence & if it eventuates, should be dealt with IMMEDIATELY. Neither of of those situtions are PLANNED. The 1/2 time entertainment is. Who organises that, I don't know or care, but there is an element of responsibility & it should not be left to the likes of Fitz, or others to tidy up.

Reply #221267 | Report this post

DDFan  
Years ago

BTW, the 1/2 time entertainment(?) at our last home game, left his attire on the court for others to remove.
Planned?

Reply #221269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was a promotion for a corporate sponsor and sponsorship is a key method NBL clubs use to finance their operations. Well, Mal, overseeing his daughter as Marketing Manager and the rest of the team, dealing with corporates, etc.

Reply #221271 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

DD,

Sponsors pay to have their product showcased at halftime, often they have ideas for how they want it showcased and the Sixers try to oblige where possible.

What you seem to fail to realise is that without these sponsors the Sixers don't exist.

A few crumbs that were cleaned up before play resumed (the refs generally check the floor after anything like a donut eating contest occurs to check for crumbs etc) seems worth having considering I would suggest they payed a significant amount to the club.

Do you suggest we have make sure the players don't sweat on the court? Some players drip sweat of them and that isn't cleaned up immediately, what do you suggest we do for that?

Reply #221275 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

The fortress will be completed with Anti-Julius mines and a Caulfron of boiling "poison" on the ramparts.

Reply #221276 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Maybe the Sixers should have brought in Harry Potter to help with the Hodge situation?

Reply #221282 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Kev, I tried to not slag off at anyone on our team, many others have done enough of that this week.

Reply #221304 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

skip, that would be a great thing to see.

I would really like to see the same coloured shirts worn by the fans as previously suggested here as well.

Reply #221306 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Just once, I'd like to see an oppossing team Rick Roll'd during their introduction.

Reply #221321 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

When the Breakers play.....

From NZ at Centre....
Rick....
cue "Never gonna give you up"....
Rickert.

Reply #221325 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I'm locking that is for the Breakers game. GOLD.

Reply #221333 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

You'll recieve a one man standing ovation from behind you, Row G, seat 34 my friend.

Reply #221339 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754