Loco
Years ago

Sixers: the Run home

Checking out the remaining 7 games of 08/09, what do people think is a reasonable W/L expectation?

Grizz is obviously a variable at this point, but what would Scotty consider successful between now and the post season?

We'd expect to get Cairns away this Friday (lock up your ponytails).

Backing up against Townsville on the Saturday will be a test, and would see us leap frog them on the ladder if the go down to the Breakers on the Thursday.

Surely we'd have to rectify the New Year's blemish by burying the Blaze here on the 21st - and convincingly (if Rillie motivates them and they turn up).

Wildcats at home ten days later is shaping up like a good 'un. Cats will have played in Sydney on the Wednesday, 3 days earlier.

Dragons away at Hisense followed by the Breakers here three days later remains the two biggest obstacles for the regular season. Fortunately, NZ will have played the night before in Wollongong.

We'd want to go over the Gong (away) in the last game of the season and go into the play-offs with a W and some confidence...although it will be Friday the 13th...anything's possible. Chris Blakemore may rise from the dead and go on a zombie-elbow carnage spree.

So 5 and 2 from here? Leaves us at 17-13 for the year. Or is that optimistic?

Topic #18706 | Report this topic

Juror 12  
Years ago

Hmmm... what scares me is that 2-5 seems more likely.

I think they will get Cairns and Gold Coast. After that it gets a bit hazy. Townsville will be tough (backing up on the road as Loco said) and I doubt we'll get the Dragons away. Perth and NZ at home are both winnable and probably depend on how Grizzard slots in. The Hawks away SHOULD be a win but I don't think you can pencil in games at the Gong.

So I think 3-4 will be most likely and should see us make the finals. If Grizzard can click with the guys and produce his best then 4-3 or 5-2 are achievable. Let's hope 2-5 is worst case (which may still even be enough to sneak us into 6th?).

Reply #221232 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think 5-2 should be the target. We have 4 tough teams and to go 2-2 against them should be fine however if we can do better then that, that would be great.

Games against the lower ranked teams must be won!

Things are looking good.

Reply #221234 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Assuming 50% = 6th place, at 12 and 11 we'd need to go 3 and 4 for the remainder in a worst case scenario (other results / head to head splits aside).

Reply #221236 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

As Loco said, it is hard to know until we've seen Grizzard, but my guess would be:

@ Cairns - L
@ Townsville - W
v Blaze - W
v Wildcats - L
@ Dragons - L
v NZ - W
@ Hawks - W

4-3 to finish 16-14. I've gone for Cairns on Friday based on our poor record there and our penchant for losing games we should win. I also think Perth has our measure.

We will clean up NZ here though.

That said, ALL of these games are winnable, and 18-12 isn't out of the question.

Winning the next three would be ideal, basically assuring us of playoff action and allowing Schenscher to maybe get a bit of rest over the last couple of games.

Reply #221249 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What is the finals structure for this season? Do we still have the one and done frist round followed by the longer series later?

Reply #221257 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I agree with Mutley - dropping games we've pencilled in is the most annoying habit the Sixers have. I'd dearly love to see it erased this Friday up north.

Speaking of - wonder if Cyclone Charlotte damaged the Convention Center? Looks pretty nasty up there.

Reply #221265 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

...and it only took me the better part of today to realise I wrote "Rillie" when I meant "Harvey" in the initial post. Yep. Having a blinder!

Reply #221315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754