Quagmire
Years ago

Celtic fans nervous?

It has become a bit more than a slump.

So what is the reason for the slide, and more importantly- what do they need to do to get back on track?

(Did anyone else notice the slump started the same time Marbury was linked to the team.... just how powerful is his cancer!?)

Topic #18707 | Report this topic

LA Boy  
Years ago

haha great one Quagmire on the Marbury thing :-) (no I defnitely don't want him to the Lakers)

personally I think their problem is their attitude, and it all started with KG, the way they confront their teammate is probably not the best way. As anyone involved in sports'd know it's all about momentum, when you've been shouted (or even pushed around) by your teammate the team can breakdown quick.

And also, Lakers last month when they beat the Celtics they kind of showed the rest of the league a different way to defend against Celtics and Celtics just doesn't seem to have found a way to counter it yet.

As much as I hate to say it but I think they'll regroup and start get back to form just before All Star break and carry the momentum through rest of the way.

Reply #221245 | Report this post

bolks  
Years ago

Ray Allen has found some of his old form and is putting up some nice numbers lately.

Reply #221297 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

a little worried, i think they are just worn out and have taken a couple of big shots (cavs, lakers) that have dropped their confidence. They do need to loose the chat a bit and focus on getting the team game going again.

I would also like to see walker come back up from d-league for a bit of youth and cut some of scalabrine's minutes down for some extra athleticism.

Reply #221341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scalabrine shouldnt be getting a game let alone a starting position.

More youth needs to be brought off the bench for a bit of energy and enthusiasm, dont bother wit these old blokes get the younger guys in there to help development and to win more games

Reply #221385 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

hopefully the 2 wins against the Raptors will help put them back on track.

Reply #221452 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Here is a thought- long NBA season, streaks and slumps happen.

If your starters are based on vets- like the Celts- you need youth on the bench to keep them alive and energized.

If your starters are youth orientated- like the Grizzles- you need a vet bench to help keep them focussed.

The Celtic slump will resolve itself by the starters working harder- but it will ultimately make the season even longer for them and risk their stamina for the finals.

The big thing here is the race for home court in the East. Most people feel that the Cavs and Celts are going to contest the East conf finals- with so little separating them, the team with homecourt must be considered the fav.

So when does Doc say- let the cavs win the race, we will focus on blooding the young bench and resting tired vets? It is a huge call.

footnote- I am all over the Magic right now. Dwight has suplanted Timmy D as the best big man in the comp imo. Celts better not turn their back on the magic, or they could find themselves getting bounced second round...

Reply #221462 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I think Cleveland will beat the Celtics (or Magic) no matter where they play. LeBron seems to lift on the road and I dont think Boston will have an answer down the stretch. I know Pierce was great last year but I don't think he will be able to go head to head with LeBron this year. The Cavs have a better supporting cast this year too.

Reply #221464 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

The big thing here is the loss of Posey.

As you rightly point out, LBJ is a player who can win play-off games on the road, last year the celts had two solid defenders to throw at James, Posey and Pierce. Now with only Pierce they face the trouble of putting their mian crunch time scorer under too much strain.

Couple that with the probability that this year it will be the Celts who must steal an away victory, and it looks bad for a repeat.

Reply #221472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754