Isaac
Years ago

Shane Heal on effort from Blaze players

Shane Heal has used his weekly column on GoldCoast.com.au (and I assume it's in print - the Bulletin, is it?) to comment on a remark by Townsville Crocs coach Trevor Gleeson.

After the Crocs opened their game against the Blaze 19-0 and then coasted for the rest of the game, Gleeson noted that a number of the Blaze players 'did not want to be there'.

Heal's article headline (possibly the work of an editor, so will give him the benefit of the doubt there) notes that as a slur and Hammer says he's disappointed.

If Gleeson thinks players on our team are not giving their all then he should name them otherwise keep quiet.

To make a generalised statement casts aspersions over the entire team and that is simply not fair on the blokes who bust their guts week in, week out.
Full article

Following that, his immediate priority is convincing the reader that he is personally giving his all. Priorities, priorities.

After that, however, it appears he's guilty of exactly the same generalisation made by Gleeson.
I can guarantee every Blaze and NBL fan that when I take the court I give more than 100 per cent every single time. The same goes for a number of my teammates.
(Emphasis added.)

What number of teammates? All of them? Some of them?

Not looking for the actual answer with this next bit, just found these two snippets from the article a bit amusing:"I give more than 100 per cent every single time..." and "I'm probably only at 60 or 70 per cent fitness."

You can imagine the Queensland 'Sports Clichés and Applied Maths' exam:
If your childhood idol gives 110% whenever he hits the court, but is at 70% of his ideal fitness, what is his output at PG right now for the Blaze? Brendan Joyce recommends making use of one of the following symbols $#%* in your answer. Bonus marks: Express as a fraction, this output with respect to said idol's win-loss percentage over the last couple of seasons.

Topic #18725 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

You had me at 'Sports Clichés and Applied Maths' exam. Gold.

"There are 6,537 spectators present at the Distinctive Homes Dome. You raise one middle finger on each hand at them. What portion of a finger does an individual crowd member receive?"

Reply #221508 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Gold

Reply #221512 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Thats Gold...
Heal must be due to retire into a sports broadcasting career sometime soon then he can throw all kind of percentages and figures around in the media (like how many games the blaze will win without him)

Reply #221513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"You order five dim sims ($0.90 ea), two spring rolls ($1.20 ea) and one bag of prawn crackers ($1.50) from the Asian takeaway place just down the street. What disparaging racial abuse do you elect to use when the girl behind the counter informs you that the dim sims are only available steamed rather than fried?"

Reply #221514 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Despite all their injuries the NBL still knocked back Vandy- wtf?

Reply #221516 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Yep it was in print as well in the GC Bulletin -

I guess my question would be does Shane put in 100% to help the team - or 100% to make Shane look good?

Interesting to note that Harvs said in the media yesterday that Gleesons comments maybe had some truth to them.....so whos right? I know where my money would go!

From what I have seen Whitehead and Harvey would be the hardest working players we have - and will give it all even if we are down by 20 with 1 minute to go. A few of the other guys would rather be on the bench than on court in those sitiuations.

Reply #221519 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HAHA, they have to stick to the rules. Remember that rule that stuffed around the 36ers - I think it involved Derek Moore or Dusty Rychart? I swear they invented that rule on the spot.

Reply #221521 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Gleeson hit me so hard makes me say oh my Lord!
Screw you for dissin' me and my boys at the Blaze, we're the league's elite

It feels good in Cold Roast Town
Though we're bottom of the ladder and still goin' down

And I'm known as such
100% effort that u just can't touch

Reply #221523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminds me - you seen Whitehead's rap efforts? Might be on YouTube.

Reply #221525 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Oh please, no. Don't do it to me.

Speaking of effort, I'm still suprised no one has made a big deal out of Cairns' underarm free throw.

Reply #221526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same. That said, I didn't even see it during the game (was down the other end from me).

Reply #221533 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"You order five dim sims ($0.90 ea), two spring rolls ($1.20 ea) and one bag of prawn crackers ($1.50) from the Asian takeaway place just down the street. What disparaging racial abuse do you elect to use when the girl behind the counter informs you that the dim sims are only available steamed rather than fried?"

Trick Question.

You don't go to the counter....you politely ask an opposition supporter to pick them up for you.

Reply #221535 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I have only read about the foul shot, yet when I read that it was Crosswhite, I thought it was self explanatory.

Reply #221538 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

" You order five dim sims ($0.90 ea), two spring rolls ($1.20 ea) and one bag of prawn crackers ($1.50) from the Asian takeaway place just down the street. What disparaging racial abuse do you elect to use when the girl behind the counter informs you that the dim sims are only available steamed rather than fried?""

your only response is to walk away, shaking your head and saying...Maccas sure isnt what it used to be.

Reply #221577 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Sounds like Heal agrees with Gleeson that not everyone on the team is giving >100%, he just wanted to make it clear it wasn't him.

Reply #221627 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"Dear diary - I suck less than everyone else on the squad. Promise.

P.S - Mirror, mirror on the wall, is James the most talented Blaze player of all?

DAMN IT!"

Reply #221631 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754