HopeNot
Years ago

Locked: Rumour - AFL Star third strike drug bust?

Hope its not true but the rumour is one of AFL's biggest names has his third strike for recreational drugs

Topic #18726 | Report this topic

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Pretty sure the rumour is true... heard this on the weekend and some rumblings a month or so back... be interesting to see the AFL's reaction to this

Reply #221509 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Is this just a rumour, or is there a media report somewhere? An idea what club the player is from?

Reply #221510 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

i beleive rumour at the moment... as the thread says MASSIVE star... The club has been mentioned in the past as having drug issues

Reply #221515 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Would I be correct in guessing that the rumour involves the star player of a victorian-based club who may or may not have won the premiership recently? And that said player is arguably the most talented player in the game atm?

Reply #221517 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

guessing games are fun... if the story is correct and breaks in the next couple of days it will take Lance Armstrong of the front page of the paper for a while.

Reply #221520 | Report this post

Buddy  
Years ago

Would the Victorian club impose a court injuction?

Any media actical to support this claim?

Reply #221522 | Report this post

HopeNot  
Years ago

Would hate to mention a name and find out its crap

Reply #221527 | Report this post

HopeNot  
Years ago

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/afl-lashes-out-at-drug-rumours-35943

Reply #221528 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

HopeNot - That link is 18 mothns old!

Reply #221529 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Um, that article is several months old now.

Reply #221530 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

HopeNot - that is a story from a year and a half ago.

Back then Julius Hodge was just a guy who got shot 5 times and we were pinning our season on a team with Lanard, Axel and Mike Chappell on the roster.

Reply #221532 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

+1 to SVD.

Though I would remind you that we were coming off a year of pinning our hopes on Lanard Copeland, Adrian Mastrovich, Brett Wheeler and Nick Horvath.

Relative to that season, the prospect of Chappell and Axel in our line up seemed like we'd be making a run at a title.

Reply #221549 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

might be an old link but the rumour relates to this incident

Reply #221551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be a buddy disgrace

Reply #221572 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

Franklinly I dont give a dam.

Reply #221594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so is it true or not?????

Reply #221603 | Report this post

Years ago

Late last year, I heard this rumour or straight out factfrom a family member who gathered this information from a very good source. Funnily enough I had my suspicions at the time but disregarded it, forgot about it and have heard nothing about it until I read Jordan's post which identified immediately with the player I was informed it was. Looks like Lance will still be making front and back headlines for some time now, even after Lance Armstrong has long gone.

Reply #221644 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Have heard this too but rumours like this have floated around before and ended up false. Here's hoping it is - and that the AFL speaks out on it - because there's a lot of mud being thrown around and some of it eventually sticks.

Reply #221646 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have heard stories from media types that a book was being run on when he would get caught. Closest to the correct date wins the pool.

Reply #221653 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah I heard about this rumour too just before Christmas from a couple within the footy circles. I would have thought that it would've come out by now but my guess is the AFL will do all they can to cover this up. Just imagine losing one of the most marketable players in years so early in his career!

Reply #221689 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

If it becomes REASONABLY common knowledge (as in one of those things that eveyone knows, but noone talks about) then they need to hit him, and hard, ASAP.

No one player can be seen to be above the rules, no matter who it is. It brings the whole AFL under scrutiny.

Reply #221694 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That is, if it's correct and not just an invented rumour.

Reply #221697 | Report this post

Years ago

If this player is who I think people are referring to (and I think it is), I've heard a lot of people saying for a while that he's a pretty regular recreational drug user. Nobody who'd really know for sure has told me (nobody who's an insider I mean), but the word about for a while has been pretty consistent, with the phrase 'he takes heaps of pills' seems to be a common theme. Not trying to start anything without any basis, just mentioning what I've heard around for a while now.

Reply #221704 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Very complex issue .
Panther hit it on the head though If true or rumour the AFL can not afford to let this come out .
Definitely why Cousins is a little pissed at the double standards considering he never tested positive . Imagine trying to tell kids don't snort coke or you could be a bLuddy champion .

Reply #221706 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

I worked at a nightclub in adelaide a few years ago notorious for pill taking, one night (Mod: Probably defamatory.) was there off his chops, i also saw (Mod: Probably defamatory.) chewin his cheeks at the big day out.

Reply #221711 | Report this post

Anon.  
Years ago

I heard this from a friend who was informed of this from someone in the footy circles and involved with one of our SA clubs. They also told me apparently that if Ben Cousins was wasn't cleared or able to resume AFL again a book was going to be brought out naming all the AFL players involved with drugs or something along those lines. Obviously that's second hand information but that's what I was told along those those lines.

Reply #221713 | Report this post

Buddy  
Years ago

I have heard that the AFL do not want this to come out. I have also heard that the AFL will demand that the said player spend 12 months on the sideline.

Don't be surprised to see a big named player have a 12 month injury early in the NAB cup or have a training mishap.

Reply #221718 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:18 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754