Forward Planning
Years ago

Winter Junior fixtures

It is not long till the new season commences, the U20's commencing 1 week earlier than the juniors - does anyone know when the Winter fixtures will be uploaded on sporting pulse?

Topic #18734 | Report this topic

Kobe-for-MVP  
Years ago

slow down, basketball sa probably havnt even started organsing teams yet!

Reply #221617 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Clubs have to nominate teams (by last week I think) before BSA can do the gradings. When the gradings are sorted out (ie PA's phone stops ringing), the draw can be done.

Then the clubs start training, realise that they have too many/too few players for various teams & start adding & withdrawing teams, so the whole draw is redone about three weeks in.

AFAIK, the U20s start Friday February 6, the same week as both seniors and juniors.

Reply #221673 | Report this post

Whoa, whoa, whoa hold it up there people. Slow it down for god damn sake.

The draw will most probably come out a day or so before the comp gets under way. You will then be informed about game times on the day of the game. During the 1st game your team managers will give you the complete draw for the winter season including times, dates and stadiums.

The draw will then be changed completely 2-3 weeks in; however everyone involved will not be informed and will still use the original draw for the next 6 weeks.

By the 3rd to last game the draw will be official...then you will get a new draw for the finals, but it wont come out until the 1st final is actually under way (with half of the teams involved turning up 2 hours before hand at 3 different stadiums)

Throw in one of the usual suspects to nominate for U16 girls for the 3rd winter season in a row, but have no kids to fill a team and not bothering to tell anybody, combined with the Western Magics clean sweep of the comp from division 26 downwards...... and you have SITUATION BLOODY NORMAL for the 2009 winter season.

Ah, that feels heaps better, thanks for reading.

Reply #222530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good one, so true.... go magic!

Reply #222640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats with all the complaints about basketball sa, they dont withdraw teams or enter teams a couple of weeks into the season! the clubs do this hence the need for re-doing programs!!

clubs nominated teams last week (this is all as far as i know and may not be 100% correct) competitions committee then decided on teams and divisions, lots of teams dropped due to summer fixtures, good thing as semi allowed for a slight pro/rel system in lower divs. clubs were givin final team placings in divs this week would expect first 3 rounds to be out fri or tues at latest, still week and a half before first game so most teams will have 3 trainings between program being published and first game!

from what i am aware of few teams (minus those playing in eltham) will have more than those 3 trainings before first game so what is the big deal?

keep in miond seniors starts this week coming so those programs had to be done first plus PA does most of this on his own and prob works more hours per week than anyone who posts on here!!

Stop complaining about crap that doesnt matter!!!

Reply #223090 | Report this post

Crap does matter  
Years ago

So how many kids have left basketball this season due to the new pro/rel system that sees teams in the top 10 get dropped?

Reply #226768 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

Had 8 kids so far from my club leave, 2 have moved to other clubs, but 6 have quit the sport all together.

BSA should be disgusted with the actions of the people making these decisions. Not giving out info on how teams would be graded until half way through the season, grading a team that finished 7th into div 3. Letting teams that finished 14th out of 16 in the div 2 comp.

But just goes to show that the more things change the more they stay the same.

And now they decide to change the qualification for U14 Nationals after the season has started. Just amazing how incompetent they continue to be.

This sport will continue to move backwards until major changes occur.

Reply #226774 | Report this post

Crap does matter  
Years ago

Would the person/s who is/are responsible for all this please stand up!!!!

Reply #226778 | Report this post

hangin round  
Years ago

Are we now using "Summer" as a grading season for Winter teams?
Perhaps next year the AFL will use the NAB (Mickey Mouse Cup) as a tool for grading their teams.
Carlton won 2 NAB cups and took the quinella with a wooden spoon.
We want an even comp, so maybe players transferring to other clubs, effectively achieves this.

Reply #226820 | Report this post

Crap does matter  
Years ago

From one Club - only 2 kids have moved and yet 6 have quit b/ball.... where does that do anything for this sport in this state. If that is the ratio for those that move to other clubs versus those that quit because of the ludicrous decision that BSA/Clubs voted on by allowing teams that were getting thumped every week by 40 or so points to stay in the Div 2 comp, then it is a sorry sorry state of affairs...

Reply #226822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can it get any worse?

Reply #226826 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

Yes, those players that moved, have gone to the clubs of the members of the competition committee. One who is a current president, and the other who is an ex-president.

If thats not a conflict of interest, then what is?

Reply #226831 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well all seems to have gone quiet on this thread - is it because those responsible are embarrassed by what has eventuated by kids leaving the sport by their decisions or is it that they just dont give a damn?.....

Reply #226887 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

No they are probably don't care about the mindless dribble you post on here. It is the same people who whinge on here about what they don't have and what everyone does. Maybe they move to those clubs because those clubs don't continually whinge and bitch about everything in basketball.

Reply #226895 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

I thought the Summer season was described as "the grading season for junior teams" in the By-Laws. The main surprise was that it was actually used for that purpose.

Reply #226900 | Report this post

Crap does matter  
Years ago

Grading mmmmmm lets analyse this - wouldn't in the real world it be that whoever finishes in the top 12 stays in the grade.

Then you have BSA definition of the word - lets let all the clubs that finished 13, 14 and 15 have a spot in the top 12 and bump the teams out that finished higher coz we can

Reply #226907 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

ITK,

how do you explain the 6 kids who have quit the sport altogether?

Reply #226925 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

And now we have the rediculoussituation where we will need 2 catch up rounds due to hot weather before we can decide who is going to qualify for U14 Nationals.

With the program manager away on holidays. We have State Champs, June long weekend,Adelaide cup, Easter, country carnivals and school holidays coming. We might not get teams qualified until July or August.

The sooner BSA work out these people don't have a clue, the sooner basketball can move forward.

If we are relying on them to come up with a new format, considering their current form, we will start it half way through a season, after nominations.

Reply #226972 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

the 2 catch up rounds won't even be played they will just allocate points like they were bye's

Reply #226989 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

U14 Nationals selection will be decided after the first 9 rounds. How does that work?

Reply #226995 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fox 28,
I think the draw is pretty fair with one away and one home game per opponent, but I understand where you are coming from with kids leaving the sport etc. Unfortunatey with volunteer stuff like comps committee, there are usually only te usual suspects who volunteer their time.

This modern world is risk averse and people seek instant satisfaction. With so many opportunities in sport, if they are not satisfied with one, then a quick change to another option is made.

To loose kids from the sport at a time when we need to grow the sport in this state is a shame. There are many reasons why they leave.

My recommendation to any junior would be to start off with, and try to stick with, your local club. Build something. Things turn around. In 1978 if you told someone in Alberton that CD footy club was to be a dominant force in the 2000's and that PA would be also rans, they would have laughed at you.

For the state competition to be effective and strong, we need ten clubs to be all of similar strength. Having a couple of "fat cat" clubs sliding down to a couple of "scrubber" clubs is not much of a competition at all.

Personally, I would prefer to see a zone situation like football and then if the child has given it a go at their local club and wants to move, then consider a neighbouring club. (I can hear the screams already!!) We all know that poaching does not occur in this state, don't we?

Some kids (and possibly their competitive parents reliving their lost opportunities through their children) want to go to stronger clubs to "win, win, win". I say any sport with 2 teams has a 50:50 chance - kids need to learn that losing is just as important as winning.

[Pause] Rant and rave time over.....now I wait for people to sledge me and hide behind a thin veil of "anon"

Reply #226997 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Forecast for Friday is now 34/35 degrees, so fingers crossed the games will go ahead.

On another note please do not completely blame the winter fixtures for the decline of players.
Sturt alone have lost a significant number of girls (a conservative guess of 17) from their U14's/16's/18's girls program over the past 18 months right upto the start of this winter season. Not one of those girls gave the game away, electing to go to Norwood, Forestville and South.
A good many of those girls had been in the Club since U10's.

Reply #226998 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Some insight into why you think they have left would be useful anon

Reply #227003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

I presume the answer is better opportunities and coaching - isn't this the reason we are given for people going to Sturt!

Reply #227008 | Report this post

Pultney  
Years ago

If losing by 60+ in div 1 or 40+ in div 2 is your goal, then moving is good.

Reply #227013 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

Jack

I personally would love it. Have you seen Sturts area fro Football? Mount Barker, everything from Newton, up to but not including, blackwood, down to marion road.

So pretty much, all of Norwood and Forestville's area.

Bring it on.

Otherwise please show a break up of area's you would suggest.

PS. How would you decide if a player could move. If a club had the numbers for 8 teams and another club only had enough for 2, how would you decide if you could move?

Reply #227045 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fox 28,
the devil is in the detail!
The zone doesn't have to be the same as football.

Some kids will always jump clubs. There's one kid I know off who is playing at his third club in 3 seasons. Unless he is shifting house every 3 months, that is a bit excessive IMO.

Kids will want to change for whatever reason and you can't prevent that, but what I would like to see is a system that ensures that kids generally play at their nearest club, kids don't drop out because of dis-satisfaction with the sport, and not all the good kids go to one club.

Adelaide is around 1,000,000 people, 10 clubs. Rough cut to me says each club should have around 100,000 population +/- say 20%

Reply #227051 | Report this post

Fox 28  
Years ago

Jack,

Considerig how close South, Forestville and Sturt are. How would you create zones that ensure that each has 100K in that zone, AND kids play for their closest club.

I would argue that 90% of kids start at their closest club, but then move after dissatisaction. If we have association model, clubs will be financially able to have more full time employees and therefore improve their servie.

from what I can read, you are not offering angthing that doesn't already happen.

Reply #227055 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Ah,
so it the big issue changing between clubs, or kids dropping out altogether? To me they have different root causes.

Kids dropping out shows their satisfaction levels with the sport are low. Kids changing clubs shows their dis-satisfaction levels are high. You can have high levels of both.

Dis-satisfaction levels are associated with the "little things". With work one of the biggest drivers of dis-satisfaction is a perceived level of in-equality, for example, this person gets paid more than me and they aren't as good etc.

The proposed association model has the potential to work, but to be successful, all associations need to be roughly the same size and strength.

I would suggest that more kids drop out than change clubs. (as you have found) Therefore, the issue is how do we increase the satisfaction levels of kids so that basketball is their chosen sport?

Reply #227058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zones have always been the answer but the top four clubs oppose it.
You could introduce it at the start of next season with the proviso that kids playing for the teams they are now in can remain but that all players in future need to come from the zoned area.
Problem is, that would stuff up the comfy arrangements these clubs have with country associations.
Stand by for the 'lazy useless club reponses' from the chosen ones who have the right to rule and believe they are the only ones who can save basketball.

Reply #227060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon I agree plus I love this type of comment.

"If we have association model, clubs will be financially able to have more full time employees and therefore improve their servie."

Because going to an association money will bring in the $$s, some people have no idea, there are just as many costs relating to the currently proposed association model as opportunities to make $$.

And I for one want domestic competitions/associations so that families can play the sport at a lower cost, not so the big clubs can try and make $$ while the small clubs die off and disappear.

Reply #227064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

060, haha - you know that response is coming because you know it's true!

Reply #227066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

There may be an error in my calculations but I think future competitions will be one on one comps.

1,000,000 people
divide by 10 = 100,000 each zone
Childen Under 18 say 25% = 25,000 per zone
Children 6 and under say 33% leave 16,667 per zone in age group
Kids not wanting to play sport say 40% leaves 10,000 Other sports/activities say 90% leaves 1,000
People unaware that district junior basketball exists - 98% leaves 20
High cost of basketball precluding participation of those remaining - 50% leaves 10
50% girls 50% boys leaves 5 boys and 5 girls
5 age groups from U10 to U18 leaves 1 per team.

Obviously a one on one comp won't work if we allow people to shift clubs so I am all for zoning!!!

Reply #227069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

There may be an error in my calculations but I think future competitions will be one on one comps.

1,000,000 people
divide by 10 = 100,000 each zone
Childen Under 18 say 25% = 25,000 per zone
Children 6 and under say 33% leave 16,667 per zone in age group
Kids not wanting to play sport say 40% leaves 10,000 Other sports/activities say 90% leaves 1,000
People unaware that district junior basketball exists - 98% leaves 20
High cost of basketball precluding participation of those remaining - 50% leaves 10
50% girls 50% boys leaves 5 boys and 5 girls
5 age groups from U10 to U18 leaves 1 per team.

Obviously a one on one comp won't work if we allow people to shift clubs so I am all for zoning!!!

Reply #227070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

066 so your saying that the SANFL clubs are lazy and only get players because they walk in the door?

The current model encourages clubs to steal the basketballers we already have from another club. Instead of wasting time recruiting from other clubs, by zoning the metropolitan area as well as country areas clubs would be able to work harder at attracting new people to the sport as they have a clearly defined area to work within and no longer have to fight other basketball clubs for the players they have.

Zones won't make clubs lazy, zones will give clubs the ability to recruit footballers, netballers etc rather than fighting over those already playing basketball.

Reply #227074 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I reckon there is an error in your calcs!

There are more kids that currently play than that.

Reply #227079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Instead of wasting time recruiting from other clubs, by zoning the metropolitan area as well as country areas clubs would be able to work harder at attracting new people to the sport

There is NOTHING stopping you from doing that now!
Unless you are lazy...

Reply #227086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"there's nothing stopping them from doing it now"

except that most clubs don't have unlimited resources and spend so much time and effort trying to keep the players they do have that they don't have the resources to be as active in schools etc as certain other clubs. Also they find a family/child who has talent and shows an interest but is being chased by three clubs, the child goes elsewhere and the time and effort spent is wasted. Resources wasted, something all sporting clubs have little of.

Zoning means theres no fighting between clubs, there won't be 3 clubs approaching the one school trying to promote themselves and run clinics, won't be pressure on new families to make a decision between one club or another and fear won't be the deciding factor for parents when getting their club involved at the very first and most basic level.

Despite the rhetoric it has nothing to do with being lazy, that's just the word that certain people at certain clubs are using to ensure the status quo continues and they continue to have the pick of the best basketballers in Adelaide and across all the Country areas. Your just protecting your own dominance, nothing more 'lazy' has nothing to do with zoning.

Reply #227087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

Obviously there are errors in my calculation but my point was to show that the pool of available kids is quite small unless we can attract them away from main stream sports. I know we like to think we are a main stream sport but I do doubt that.

We need to attract more kids to the sport - we need to make it affordable and I think we need to promote that there is a district junior basketball competition and in fact an ABA for seniors. I wonder how many people know that - I never did and it was quite by chance that my son is now playing district basketball at a high level. A mother at a social game asked why he wasn't playing district - I said what is that and we have never looked back. We were lucky; lucky to be able to afford it and lucky to have heard about it - how many others are not so lucky

Reply #227093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most clubs don't have unlimited resources

No club has unlimited resources. It's just that SOME clubs put those resources into junior development. Others don't.

spend so much time and effort trying to keep the players they do have

Why would you need to spend ANY effort in this area? If you provide a good service that they are happy with, they will stay. It's only when you provide a substandard service that they would contemplate not staying.

Zoning means theres no fighting between clubs

No, it means there will be no need to provdie a quality service, or to put ANY resources into junior development at all. You will get players because, heck, they HAVE to play for you. No matter how little you put in.

LAZY.

Reply #227102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No club has unlimited resources. It's just that SOME clubs put those resources into junior development. Others don't."

True but some clubs have more people and higher profile people than other clubs have. Clubs can't just manufacture these people.

Name one club that doesn't have their focus on Junior teams. The days of clubs pilaging their juniors to pay for ABA/State League titles are way behind us and yet people like you continue to use that as a way to sprout your superiority. Name a club, show us an example of a club which doesn't put its resources into junior development.

"Why would you need to spend ANY effort in this area? If you provide a good service that they are happy with, they will stay. It's only when you provide a substandard service that they would contemplate not staying."

When other clubs actively recruit juniors from within your club with promises of free uniforms, no fees, national championships a spot in SASI, a promise to encourage state coaches to give them a spot then the smaller, weaker clubs have to spend resources (time and effort) holding onto the talent they have. That time and effort would be better spent recruiting new players to the club and the sport.

"No, it means there will be no need to provdie a quality service, or to put ANY resources into junior development at all. You will get players because, heck, they HAVE to play for you. No matter how little you put in."

If a club doesn't provide a quality service or doesn't put any resources into junior development families will leave. Zone means new families who have no idea what a club provides will not have two or three clubs to choose from and will not be chased by numerous clubs. No new family to the sport would have the information available to them to know if one club has a better junior program than another. They go somewhere because someone at that club convinces them to do so. Zones would mean clubs can exclusively work within an area and recruit new families to the sport without having to constantly defend themselves and fight other clubs for new players. Zones means a club can build long term relationships with schools, miniball programs, recreation centre and without having to fight another basketball club and in term without the opportunity to build long term relationships.

If a club is lazy, families will leave. Zones are about new families not ones in the system. Lazy has nothing to do with zones.

Reply #227106 | Report this post

Pultney  
Years ago

How would "new" families have any idea about which clubs are bigger and better. They wouldn't even know anything about clubs.

Look at the larger clubs, they have success at U10 and U12 level due to their consistant work. Then people who are dissinterested move there.

Clubs that pillage their juniors still.

Lets see, which club is getting an import? Southern.

Which club has recruited Ryan Kersten and Brad Davidson to their ABA team? West.

So yes it is still happening.

Reply #227114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

use that as a way to sprout your superiority

I'm not sprouting my superiority at all. It's just that YOU have a "woe is me" inferiority complex.
Some clubs put MORE resources into junior development. Two clubs have people full time in these roles, is it any suprise they seem to do better than other clubs? Some clubs have had imports playing ABA in the last 10 years - others could have but chose to put the money back into their juniors. Now the club that had a junior focus 10 years ago should be penalised because others spent money short-sightedly/poorly? One club, that used to have the best CD, now have no-one in the role at all (as far as I know). Not suprisingly, they have slipped alarmingly from powerhouse to mid-table (at best) since his departure. Their "reputation" as a top-flight powerhouse has not kept them in their position of prominence as you suggest it would!

When other clubs actively recruit juniors from within your club with promises of free uniforms, no fees, national championships a spot in SASI, a promise to encourage state coaches to give them a spot then the smaller, weaker clubs have to spend resources (time and effort) holding onto the talent they have

Any evidence to back up these *cough* "facts"? Or are you just chasing the bogeyman? I particularly like the national championships one....

Zone means new families who have no idea what a club provides will not have two or three clubs to choose from

Why shouldn't they have two or three clubs to choose from? Don't they have a right to choose which service best suits their needs for their cost (which is large). Or should they just have to pay for substandard returns because they have no choice?

No new family to the sport would have the information available to them to know if one club has a better junior program than another.

In which case, they will usually go to the closest club. No need for zones then!

Zones would mean clubs can exclusively work within an area and recruit new families to the sport

You can do that now. If you don't, well.....

Zones means a club can build long term relationships with schools, miniball programs, recreation centre and without having to fight another basketball club and in term without the opportunity to build long term relationships.

You can do that now too. But apparently those that chose to do this 10 years ago (and now HAVE long-term relationships) whilst others were spending money on ABA imports should be penalised for showing such foresight.

Here's a question - one that I'm sure you'll ignore.
How can such a small association, say McKinnon, survive when surrounded by so many massive power clubs? Not only survive, but thrive. Both in increasing numbers, and quality of 1st teams (particularly in boys), where they've made VC finals in some grades? Is it because on zoning, or because they dedicate resources to their junior program, and work hard to increase both numbers and the skill level of their players whilst providing a club atmosphere/comraderie that is close to, if not, the best in Victoria? Why can't YOU do the same?

Laziness?

Reply #227118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do you fear from zoning - if your development program is so sound it should work irrespective of the "cattle" - in fact I don't see why you need to accept any one from another club to yours. Just turn up the wick a little more on the development and you won't need others from other areas. We could debate this ad nauseam - you do have many good points but you are burying your head in the sand if you do not consider the points raised by pro zone advocates.

Personally I am against zones but then I am personally against association resources having close affiliations with clubs such as state coaching directors etc etc. I see this as a major issue and a major influence in many moves. I am not saying poaching but I am suggesting that this is a point people do consider when moving.

Reply #227128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would know as well as anyone that certain clubs have promised parents that should their child move to such and such a club, a SASI spot would be a formality and from that state.
You would also know that certain clubs have a disproportionate number of SASI coaches and that some coaches have used those positions to advance their club by having directly or indirectly influenced kids to move clubs.
You should also know that certain clubs have sown up country networks and those networks supply only one or two district clubs.
You may also know that country state coaches at district clubs are put in uncomfortable positions where they often have to chose between the local or country player for the district team.
Most clubs have abandoned country cups as recruiting sources because of the country/district monopoly that is tacitly in effect.
The crap you spout about resources and junior development is a just that, crap. All clubs put energy and money into junior development but not all clubs enjoy the revenue of clubs with bars and canteens.Strut, Forestville, Norwood, North all seem to field teams with WNBL and NBL players, don't they pay them ?
You preach from on high and have no idea about the here and now and keep harking back to how much some clubs were basket cases until they saw the light of junor development.Not a bit of it is true. Some clubs have better placed connections in BSA and country assocation and with the SASI program. Its almost laughable that so few clubs dominate the SASI program and therefore understandable how the inequity has arisen.
Associations will not answer the issues in south australian basketball because it needs an overhaul from top to bottom and a massive clean out to defeat the jobs for the boys nepotism that is basketball in our state.

Reply #227130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You would also know that certain clubs have a disproportionate number of SASI coaches"

Of the actual official SASI coaches all bar 1 are from one club, the 1 being from Forestville.

Reply #227134 | Report this post

Facts please  
Years ago

Forestville have Paul Arnott, Dave Laurie, Ian Laurie, Trevor Semmons, Tom McDonald. Thats 5 actually.

Woodville have at least 1.

Norwood have at least 1.

Good to see you are willing to lie to make a story though.

Reply #227149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, after reading all this petty in fighting I am glad my eldest son has moved on and is playing football - at least or so it seems his skill will determine where he ends up rather than who he knows!!!

Reply #227153 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Boom, boom! It's not that petty.

Interesting points re country players and SASI coaches.

PS I wasn't expecting many posters to put their non de plumes to this one!

Reply #227155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You would know as well as anyone that certain clubs have promised parents that should their child move to such and such a club, a SASI spot would be a formality and from that state.

I know nothing of the sort. Are you going to provide ANY evidence to support this at all?
And how can a CLUB guarantee a SASI spot, let alone a state one?

You would also know that certain clubs have a disproportionate number of SASI coaches and that some coaches have used those positions to advance their club by having directly or indirectly influenced kids to move clubs.

Again, evidence? Or more chasing the bogeyman? How will zoning change this anyway?

country state coaches at district clubs

Ahhh, so at least we can put a name to the big bad club now.

The crap you spout about resources and junior development is a just that, crap. All clubs put energy and money into junior development

Really? Then why do only two clubs have full time development officers? Why does at least one club not have one at all? (and this club has one of those bars that are app a licencse to print money!). How has this clubs previous reputation not kept them at the top of the junior basketball tree?

Why haven't you bothered with the McKinnon scenario? That a small association, armed with a willingness to work hard (despite not having state or Vic ITC coaches) and put resources into its junior development, can close the gap on the big bad power associations and compete with them? (and in some grades beat them). Is that it completely shoots down your argument? Or because you are too lazy?

Reply #227179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May I call you Ostrich - you seem to act like one and bury your head in the sand.

Let me guess - you are a fat couch potato sitting back in your arm chair riding on the coat tails of all those who have done the hard work at your club.

I resent immensely, on behalf of all the volunteers at clubs, the assertions that they we are lazy. Maybe our efforts are misguided but I doubt many are lazy.

I know many clubs are doing many things to improve their lot - the starting point though has to be coach development. I know many have been frustrated by the lack of accredited courses being run - I personally am awaure that level one courses are few and far between. I waited a year before one came available.

You may deny it but there is a perception out there that certain clubs have an advantage because of their links with state, SASI and other BSA paid for staff - the same staff which draws their pay from each and every club.

Don't keep going on about funds being dragged out of the junior system to fund a senior system. It may happen but do not tar each club with the same brush.

If you truly are a basketball person work with us to improve the total situation, and understand that there may be more than one way to skin a cat

Reply #227191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The monopoly is actually in many areas. Why are Sturt allowed to run 2 Div11 teams? It actually gives an unfair advantage.

Reply #227202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I resent immensely, on behalf of all the volunteers at clubs, the assertions that they we are lazy

Resent it all you want. You said this yourself: "Most clubs have abandoned country cups as recruiting sources" Not putting in ANY effort? Lazy. But then whinge about the clubs that DO put in the effort to attend these events and then get players from them. Well, I guess that's just easier.

I know many clubs are doing many things to improve their lot - the starting point though has to be coach development. I know many have been frustrated by the lack of accredited courses being run - I personally am awaure that level one courses are few and far between. I waited a year before one came available.

Tangent much? What has this got to do with zoning?

You may deny it but there is a perception out there that certain clubs have an advantage because of their links with state, SASI and other BSA paid for staff - the same staff which draws their pay from each and every club.

Ahhh so it's PERCEPTION. So you admit that you have NO evidence of it actually happening. So you waste resources jumping at shadows.

I know many clubs are doing many things to improve their lot

Agreed. Some have shown improvements in results. Woodville (girls in particular) have shown MASSIVE improvements, from not having div 1 teams in some grades say about 8 years ago to nearly every (girls) team making finals last year. How could they possibly have done this with such an unfair system in place? So it CAN be done with some hard work and smartly allocated resources.

Don't keep going on about funds being dragged out of the junior system to fund a senior system

Why not? It happens.

Still no comment about McKinnon? Or other similar programs that are in various staging of building their associations (Hawthorn, Blackburn)?

Reply #227205 | Report this post

Doh  
Years ago

"The monopoly is actually in many areas. Why are Sturt allowed to run 2 Div11 teams? It actually gives an unfair advantage."

Since when?

Reply #227214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The unfair advantage is that it allows sturt to keep more players in this level that will play div 1 the following year etc. If there werent so many opportunites they would leave and go to other clubs for opportunity.

Reply #227217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 205,

You have mistaken me for another anon. In fact I have said I am not a supporter of zoning.

Yes it is perceptions by most because they are not privy to understanding people's thinking process in determining why they move - I am privy to this in a couple of cases and the more regular access to coaches associated with SASI ans State WAS a key reason for their movement even though their current coaches were highly competent and experienced.

Personally I would rather spend our limited resources on developing our local area rather than look outside our back door hoping to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

You can't do everything all the time well. I would rather focus on doing some things very well, built a bit of momentum and see where that leads.

What is most annoying about your approach is that most of the people I know at your club (I am guessing) are reasonable people and willing to discuss issues and be helpful. Then we have people like you who just wish to ridicule others efforts - basking of the hard work of the modest people at the club.

If you are so good I invite you to get off the gravy train, put your nose to the grindstone and improve the general lot of basketball in this state. I know all clubs would gladly welcome competent volunteers. Surely this can't be that hard and would be a great service to your club as they contend, and I agree, a stronger general competition will only benefit all of us.

Reply #227218 | Report this post

Facts please  
Years ago

No, 2 players would go to other clubs and 6 players would quit the sport all together.

Reply #227220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do not ridicule effort but LACK of effort, esp. when they then want the clubs that DO put in the effort penalised.

Reply #227223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This discussion is pointless.

People will only back up the thoughts and impressions they see from their position within their own club or will only be able to discuss this from their own background and experience.

It will always turn into an us vs them arguement.

The one thing that most people can agree on is the current system isn't working.

Constructive change is required but change for the sake of change won't work. Change because something works in another sport or in another state won't work either.

Basketball in SA is specific to basketball in SA and needs to find it's own way forward not copy a system or parts of a system another sport or state uses and say here this is the answer. It isn't and it won't work.

Zones, Promotion/Relegation, Association models, ABA, State teams, SASI, whatever the answer (and I don't profess to having 'the' answer) IMO the whole basketball system in SA is flawed, and falling apart and needs a major overhaul.

Reply #227238 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

let's all play dodgeball instead

Reply #227259 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Glad to see nothing has changed in SA basketball.

Reply #227261 | Report this post

It does happen.  
Years ago

Some clubs DO put their focus into ABA at the expense of Juniors.

It is the exact reason why we left one western suburbs club. They won an ABA championship the year we left.

We have now settled at a club that has won a couple of ABA championships since; however the focus of the club is on junior development, not ABA titles.

Yep, agree with one of the posters above. Two clubs have full time junior development officers; however these same two clubs are always accused of taking the easy way out. These two JDO's have to get it right or they loose their livelihood. Would you risk your livelihood on an easy way out? I wouldn't.

Look after the juniors and the higher grades will benefit.

Reply #227327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless being good at PC games like Civilization qualifies as doing your job as a JDO I'm sorry but one of those full time people doesn't work as hard as you may think, just because he's a full time employee

I believed the hype and stories I was told and moved my kids to one of the name clubs because I was convinced I had to do it for them to succeed.

But as soon as they could find a player from another club willing to move who was deemed better then mine, we were pushed to the background and the current development we get is nothing more than we got at our previous club.

Reply #227335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#335 Always wanted to now what that game is. Just a quick question that when you came to Sturt did you worry that your child was taking someone elses spot?

Reply #227350 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Saucers of milk all round

Reply #227372 | Report this post

VIC  
Years ago

You all need to get a grip this is just kids sport for GOD sake!!!!!! Get a life and stop trying to live you life through your kids......

Reply #227742 | Report this post

Owned  
Years ago

Well...he sure told us!

Reply #229043 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:28 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754