Isaac
Years ago

Ninnis and Hodge win monthly awards

The Adelaide 36ers have swept the National Basketball League's (NBL) monthly awards for December, with controversial import Julius Hodge taking Player of the Month honours, and mentor Scott Ninnis claiming Coach of the Month.

The double-honour is undoubtedly bittersweet for the 36ers, who saw Hodge walk out on the club recently over a pay dispute. Hodge played six games for the 36ers in December, averaging a league-high 27.5 points as well as 6.7 rebounds, 6.0 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.2 blocks. He also shot the ball at 59% from the field for the month.

Hodge won the award after polling 35 votes to finish ten clear of New Zealand Breakers superstar Kirk Penney (25), who previously took out the monthly award for October/November and is rapidly firming as a favourite to win the coveted Andrew Gaze Trophy for the League's Most Valuable Player. Perth Wildcats import Isiah Victor came third with 16 votes. In all, 15 players polled votes with all 10 teams represented amongst the vote-getters.

Scott Ninnis took out his first-ever NBL monthly coaching honour after polling 51 votes, to finish just clear of South Dragons mentor Brian Goorjian on 43. Townsville's Trevor Gleeson coming third on 18.

Ninnis guided his beloved 36ers to a 4-2 record for the month, with a positive points differential of plus-32 over the period. The 36ers claimed some big scalps during December, notching wins over reigning champions the Melbourne Tigers twice, as well as top six team the Townsville Crocodiles. In total six coaches polled votes for the December award.

The NBL's Player and Coach of the Month for December takes into account Rounds 12 to 16 inclusive. All NBL Head Coaches and accredited media are eligible to vote.
Schenscher finished way too low in voting, surely?

Here are the final numbers:
Player of the Month
Julius Hodge (Adelaide) 35
Kirk Penney (New Zealand) 25
Isiah Victor (Perth) 16
Matthew Knight (Sydney) 9
Tony Ronaldson (New Zealand) 9
Ian Crosswhite (Cairns) 8
Luke Schenscher (Adelaide) 7
Adam Ballinger (Adelaide) 6
Shawn Redhage (Perth) 4
Justin Bowen (Gold Coast) 4
Corey Williams (Townsville) 3
Ebi Ere (Melbourne) 3
Mark Worthington (South) 2
Kavossy Franklin (Wollongong) 1
Rhys Carter (South) 1

Coach of the Month
Scott Ninnis (Adelaide) 51
Brian Goorjian (South) 43
Trevor Gleeson (Townsville) 18
Rob Beveridge (Sydney) 14
Conner Henry (Perth) 4
Andrej Lemanis (New Zealand) 2

Topic #18754 | Report this topic

hereschenes  
Years ago

Great... soon he'll write another blog to his homeboy Kiki about how he's knocking down "Playa of da Month" awards from everywhere. "I beat some guy, Kirk Penney, so easy."

Reply #221817 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

Funny to see team first on the ladder with not even one of their player in top 10

Reply #221822 | Report this post

Stats Machine  
Years ago

Player of the month you say? Bravo Sixers. Bravo.

Reply #221830 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Why would you give him players of the month?

Reply #221836 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

What a joke. You would think the NBL might have used their heads and given it up the next highest vote getter, who is actually still in the league.

All this is gonna do is dredge up more controversy and bad memories for fans. Stupid.

On a side note, yeh, Luke would seem to be way too low down there on 7 votes, and congrats to Scottie on a job well done, although I'm not sure that a 4-2 record is really enough for coach of the month honours?

Reply #221837 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They can only give it based on votes and Hodge played so was eligible.

Goorjian had a 5-2 record over the same period, but didn't really play much tougher teams. Ninnis' 36ers knocked off the Tigers twice in that period I think.

What would everyone have voted?

I will just say that the awards didn't quite finish as per my votes, but not all that far off.

Reply #221839 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Isaac, who does the voting and when is it done? Ie. Are votes cast after each game, is is it like a 3-2-1 vote at the end of the month?

Reply #221897 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Head coaches and "media"* vote at the end of the month with a 3-2-1 for coaches and players.

I say "media" because I get to vote!

Reply #221903 | Report this post

crazyballer  
Years ago

Nice one Isaac. I wonder who you voted for :)

Reply #221924 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Ninnis wins Coach of the month and they reward him by putting up what must be the NBL photo of the year:

C'mon guys, there are a lot better photos of Ninnis coaching the 36ers this season than that one.

Reply #221933 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ninnis mentioned (advertiser,I think) that Ballinger would win it.

Reply #221936 | Report this post

Bfresh  
Years ago

I like an angry coach.

Reply #221948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:49 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754