Loco
Years ago

NBL's All Time Super Villains (aka The List)

On a boring Friday afternoon with little else to do, here it is; The List.

Mike Dunlap  for cutting Rob Rose and destroying my faith in my most beloved of franchises, you sir are the Devil.

Shane Heal  no explanation necessary. The Hammer is a tool.

Damon Lowery  you make my beloved Italian soccer team look like amateurs when it comes to flopping.

Brendan Joyce  being stuck for an actual basketball coach is no excuse for shaving down an mountain gorilla and handing it a clipboard. Central District supporters have more class and a wider vocab.

Phil Haines  the English language isn't expansive enough to convey my rage.

Simon Kerle  it's not your life style choice (you posed in what magazine?) , it's just&well&everything. You're like Diet Heel  same awful taste in your mouth, half the calories.

Grant Kruger  every movie super villain needs a right hand uber thug (like the second to last guy you fight before you finish an Xbox game) but typically, they have some talent or other to back it up. You and Mark Davis in an cage = ratings.

Mark Bradtke  Time has heeled no wounds, you gargantuan Judas. Take your silver pieces and never return.

Caroline UsedToBeGillespie  Pray you never run into Darnell alone.

Michael Butler  one of the most nefarious fiends ever to sport the livery of an NBL official.

Chris Anstey  punching Brett Maher barely lost out to 'coveting thine neighbours wife' in the original list of commandments. You may as well throw a haymaker at Mother Theresa as far as your popularity goes.

Larry Abney  The Sixers doctor recently described to me what Hill's train wreck of an arm looked like after you tried a UFC style flying arm-bar. Barely kept lunch down.

Adonis Jordan  nobody spits on a Sixers court. Period.

Jason Williams - When I get the DNA tests proving you're in fact Volde's love child, the reasons for you ever seeing agonizingly painful court time will surely be clear.

Joe Ingles  Heal is contagious and there is no inoculation. You know you caught it down South. That sh*t is for life man.

Brian Goorjan  love to hate the man. Nobody plays a better villain than Dr. Diet Coke. Secretly, deep down, we're all glad he's here. But until he retires, we'll hate him as much as he loves to be despised.

Julius Hodge  "mad J skillz, yo" is no excuse. Stop talking.

The Melbourne Tiger that broke Mark Davis' arm in the finals series on an outlet pass. Was is Thomas? I may have forgotten your name, but I haven't forgiven your heinous assassination attempt.

Fisher, Grace, Vlahov, Crawford, Cattalini and Ellis all have to get a mention. The "stacks on Jo-Jo" incident is one of history's greatest blemishes. Scarred me for life, clearly.

I'm sure there's more, but I need a nice cup of tea to quell the rage.

Topic #18758 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dave Simmons is the man who dislocated Pudd's shoulder

I would throw into the mix Mick Hill, when Kerle did it it was expected but to ride on his on court jack ass coat tails was just stoopid.

Reply #221890 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Oh yeah - Dave Simmons.

And agreed re: Mick Hill.

Welcome to the list, boys.

Footnote - how tough was Pudd coming back in no time from that?

Reply #221891 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Lol... hilarious list, Loco. Thanks for the Dunlap clarification in the other thread - I must have erased that whole incident from my mind. All I really remember about him is that he wore glasses, took us to a losing finals series, and left us with Don Monson (ugh).

Can't think of anyone else for The List at the moment.

Reply #221892 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Cut Dunlap some slack - he did turn around an underachieving franchise and brought the Sixers to the Grand Final. And perhaps with a fully fit Davis, and a win in the game 1 overtime we might be talikng about the 94 Championship team.

I thought we all put the Jason Williams saga to rest. He was an outstanding local player, who served a role in the 36ers system. He may have played 1 season too long, but was a solid defender and had range on his shot. And he was probably one of the lowest paid guys in the league.

Reply #221893 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Adonis Jordan  nobody spits on a Sixers court. Period.

Except sixers fans when they miss the opposition players :-)

Great work though, loco...Good for a Friday arvo laugh.

Reply #221894 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

It's all tongue in cheek shin splints - only meant as a humourous distraction on a lazy Friday.

hereshenes - lest we forget anything, ever ;)

DICKO - the 8,000 exceptions that prove the rule :p

Reply #221895 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I always loathed Darren Lucas, Jason Smith and Andrew Parkinson from the old South Eastside St. Kilda Nunawading Melbourne Saints Spectres Magic.

Reply #221896 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Seconded. Lucas, Mrs. Smith and Cindy Crawford's Beauty Spot are all on The List.

I wonder how many people were on the list (Booze-less Giants Paul Rees, I'm looking at you!) before they wore Sixers blue and all was forgiven? :p

Actually, I should put the old skool Giants' brown uniform on The List.

Reply #221898 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

NBL administration?

Reply #221902 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Dude who broke Brad Hill's arm

Reply #221904 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Lol re: administration.

JT - that was Abney, about half way down the list. Doc reckons he had bone sticking out in two places.

(Actually, Abney is a really nice guy and felt horrible about the accident. I remember him going into the stands during the All-Star game we had here a while back, specifically to find Brad and ask how he was going).

Reply #221905 | Report this post

Olaf  
Years ago

I think Saville's working his way onto the list. Used to like him when he was younger but as he's gotten older he's become a cheap shot artist.

Reply #221909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunlap for not just getting rid of Rose but clearing out just about all SA players, in particular those who he thought were threats to his so called power.

A first class tool if ever there was one.

He also got rid of the Buffaloes, Adelaide's SEABL team for those too young to remember.

Reply #221912 | Report this post

DJRod  
Years ago

PAUL REES!!!

Reply #221913 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

If Brad can forgive Paul for surfing him, we can all turn the other cheek :p

Reply #221914 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Paul Henare, simply because he's the worst nbl player to ever go to so many olympics/ World champs and generally start at point guard for his team.

Dean Brogan - leaving the greatest sporting league in the world for the second greatest sporting league in the world.

Chuck Harmison - in the gary ablett/jayson williams/o.j. simpson/wayne carey category for having a reasonable to very good playing career however it was his off court misdemeanours which now make him infamous. And YES, O.J.'s misdemeanours after he stopped playing equal those of Chuck's.

Worthington - all round tool award, thinks he can take the best international players off the dribble at international level and doesn't crash the boards.

Ian crosswhite - equally tool-like and soft.

Reply #221917 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Didn't Dunlap continue to develop players like Scalzi, Hawkes, Blakemore, Maher, Wheeler - all SA Boys?

I mean this in a serious way: How did Dunlap get rid of the Buffalos? I thought it was just too expensive for BASA to maintain the program.

I know I am sounding like a Dunlap lover, and I accept his decisions on personnel seemed to favour the college age player rather than the seasoned veteran, but the memories of the 94 season and the run through the playoffs is still vivd, and rates as some of the best memories of the Powerhouse/Dome. Days when the 'sold out' sign would be placed in the doorway hours before tip off.

Anyway, I am way OT.

Reply #221922 | Report this post

Lints  
Years ago

I thought Dunlap sent Blakemore packing after he backhanded Cattalini in his big nose, what a great shot that was

Reply #221925 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Actually, I should put the old skool Giants' brown uniform on The List.
Gold!!

Reply #221926 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Hinder ;)

Reply #221937 | Report this post

vanexel31  
Years ago

Paul Henare, simply because he's the worst nbl player to ever go to so many olympics/ World champs and generally start at point guard for his team.

COULD'NT AGREE MORE!!! HENARE IS A JOKE, and you guys talking about Julius having no jumpshot. Worst NBL player in my books.

I dont care if you all hate me for this but Sixers Admin 2009. For having the best player in the league and not paying him. Not saying Julius wasnt in the wrong for some of things he did and said, but I feel if the 6ers just paid him on time what they agreed to pay then there would have been no problem in the first place. BIGGEST F*CK UP OF ALL TIME letting that player get away.

Reply #222087 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Ray Gordon was certainly some sort of super villain back in the day. I remember in his last game he got got fouled out, and on his way to the bench decided to belt an opposition player in the head to vent his anger.

Reply #222095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754