basil
Years ago

Well done SA U16 Girls at Country Cup

Grandfinal playoff between both SA Country teams at the Country Cup at Albury in the U16 Girls, Magpies came from 3rd in there pool to reach the granfinal and the Sharks went through undefeated, well done to all

Topic #18788 | Report this topic

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

Congrats to them for sure....
How many of them are top age?

Reply #222614 | Report this post

Fox 46  
Years ago

Most of them, as the 10 best first year u-16 girls are currently at Port Macquaire at the Pacific Coast Slam.

Well done girls!

Reply #222616 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

WOW, well either way it is very good, If they are top age it should help out the 18's next year because the results didn't look that special for them this year.....

Reply #222620 | Report this post

ThunderDan  
Years ago

can anyone give me information on the u16's girls or those finishing high school this year?

i hear that all throughout australia the young talent is being groomed into a powerhouse for national/international competition.

Reply #222750 | Report this post

Sam I am  
Years ago

You go girls!

Reply #222754 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Should be able to pick a strong team for Nationals out of this group. Well Done.

Reply #222798 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

From a coach from another state (different age group) this group should be very strong at Nationals. Don't know the names but there is a tallish guard who hurt us big time at 16's Nationals last year as a bottom-ager (my daughter played there) and the tall girl who can play anywhere from 1 through 5 absolutely dominated the games I saw in Albury. A great start for any group.

Reply #222912 | Report this post

Wayville 96  
Years ago

Unfortunate that a couple are moving to the city and will be metro.

Reply #222918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also forgetting that metro U16 were the side to beat last year winning silver, undefeated until the grand final- country U16's 5th? So, I'd still expect metro to be the team to beat

Reply #223053 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

who from this group are moving metro? S Tal and A Wil?

Reply #223190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U18 SA teams at country cup were absolutely shocking compared to the rest of the competition. Some of the girls could not even catch the ball. No chemistry there whatsoever

Reply #223224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit harsh #224 as with all country teams attending there were 20 players represented so a few may fall short of the Nationals standard.
Chemistry however, or the lack of it is a coach's domain and all too often teams fail because of the personality make up of that team. If coaches paid more attention to chemistry or the lack of it they might get better results.

Reply #223226 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

Can I ask, when kids make it to the U18 level are they really falling short at that level?
Is the coach not helping with chemistry?
Whats going on with this senior group? Next level down are making the GF and this selection are not even playing off for any position...

chuck out some serious thoughts as i would like to see what is going on here...

Reply #223239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

XYZ,
if you take twenty kids, of course some are going to be short of the talent to compete nationally, especially as many would only play country assoc bball.

Some coaches think team chemistry happens on its own and they are the ones who let everyone down including the primma donnas who whiteant teams. Other coaches place a huge importance on team harmony and make sure the ten players place team first.Guess which ones succeed?

Country 16's have better quality players than the 18's currently. But you might recall the hype that was associated with the 16's last year and how they were going to win gold and they didnt figure in the playoffs either so, when both teams are selected for the nationals they will be chosen from the 20 and no doubt will have competitive teams.

Reply #223262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

xyz if you look back over the last few years that u18 group have fallen short at every age level in Albury whereas this years u16's group have excelled particularly if you include Pt Mac, however there real test will come this year at nationals as top age 16's not last year as bottom ages

Reply #223267 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Some thoughts from an interested observer. I had a daughter in the 18's GF (played against both SA teams) while I saw some of the 16's girls and coached in the 14's.

Chemistry is absolutely the responsibility of the coach, HOWEVER, you can start behind the 8-ball with the personalities you have (often imposed up on you and based on developing 2 fairly even teams instead of the best combination for that team). I was lucky enough to have a great group of kids this year and could build from there.

Secondly, you get outstanding age groups from time to time, and equally, down years. The NSW Waratahs 18's team this year got a job lot of athleticism, and when up against a less than athletic group from SA, the skill differences were exacerbated. As the kids get older, these fitness differences tend to become greater. At 14's, the fitness differences are not so great, and so the skill differences not so obvious.

While the NSW 18's age group isn't outstanding by any means (though they did finish with a silver medal at Nationals 2 years ago), they are capable and fit, whereas the SA group are perhaps a little below the usual level. At 16's a couple of outstanding players brings that SA age group up enormously while the NSW group at least struggled all week with injury, illness and internal division (which incidentally they brought into camp with them).

The other issue is where the various teams are at in their preparation. I don't know about SA, but I know the Vics are well into a comprehensive preparation when they come away. NSW have four sessions before the tournament starts ad take a very developmental approach, particularly with the 14's.

I don't think the SA 18's where as bad as some believe, but they look bad against the two 16's teams that played each other in the GF. Last time I checked the score one of the 16's teams was kicking the other so does that make the second-placed team a bad team?

We sometimes forget that these athletes, as maturely as they play at times, are still just kids and prone to all the fluctuations of teenagerdom that most 12,13,14 and 15 year olds suffer.

Reply #223270 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

"Some coaches think team chemistry happens on its own and they are the ones who let everyone down including the primma donnas who whiteant teams. Other coaches place a huge importance on team harmony and make sure the ten players place team first.Guess which ones succeed?"

WOW, harsh words...
I'd like to think that some kids who may be labeled such tag's could be well mantained with good coaching?

good thoughts here too...thanks ankles...

Reply #223279 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well saw when SA v Vic couple of games last nationals, reckon the SA U18 metro girls last year had nothing like chemistry.........hope their major 'issue kids' are controlled this year.

Reply #223360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance of that!

Reply #223394 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wayville 96 In regards to players moving to the city, I think you will find it will be the players decision to either play Country or Metro. The Country Cup is seen as the start of the process for picking the Nationals team, and I know that in the past a player moved to the city after the country cup and played country for this reason. It will be interesting to see which way the players decide to go.

Reply #223480 | Report this post

man of the moment  
Years ago

you know i laugh at all of you, your bagging young kids when they just want to learn and become better basketballers, once again seems like parents have nothin better to do than have a bitch about whos kids are better, its sad!!!

Reply #223482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said man of the moment!

Reply #223485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

u guys baggin the U18 SAC girls program have a short memory.... think bak 6 months to Ballarat national champs....

Reply #223591 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

what are the predictions this year?
Where are the 18's nationals this time round?
Where are the 16's nationals this year too?

Reply #223598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The U16 country and metro teams will be strong, the U18 country team is average and the U18 metro team has major unresolved issues and would be better not sending a team to the Nats.

Reply #223735 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

Issues?
Kid issues or coaching/parent issues...

Reply #223747 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

U18 country girls, many with injuries??

Reply #223758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

591: i guess your as good as your last win, that team was very good, but let's see it this year....
your obviously involved in the team..(Ass. Coach/Head Coach?)...so it will be interesting this year...

Reply #223891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the 16's coaches would be looking to follow thru and head up to the 18's next year.

Reply #224796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would want to coach girls basketball, after reading this crap from parents I can understand why the players can sometimes be so screwed up.

Reply #224805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would want to coach girls basketball, after reading this crap from parents I can understand why the players can sometimes be so screwed up.

Reply #224806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 16's coaches may want to... doesnt mean they will. Pressure will be on this year at nationals for the 16's to medal

Reply #224817 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

If they do, I would think they would have good grounds?

Not sure how it works..

Reply #224937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blind freddy could coach the 16 girls age group this year, I don't see any rational argument about it except the fact that maybe you have some selfish loser reason to whinge like the fact you or your child missed out this year, the more you write the dumber you sound.
Perhaps facts could arrive here. The same coaches in 16 girls produced the 14 bottom age players that went to Albury this year as 18 girls.

Reply #224964 | Report this post

Astor 52  
Years ago

After last years double gold choke. Anything less than a medal would be a failure.

Reply #224976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting comments from you all, as i see it the pressure is on both the U/18 girls and U16 girl. U/16 Coaches with that group would be aiming for a gold medal and yes i believe the u/16 coaches are much better than the u/18 coaches from what i saw as a parent in Albury. As for the u/18 coaches they had an easy draw last year and Kelsey Ireland played fansatic in the games i watched, so this year the pressure is on them as the group is not as good so the coaches will have to preform not just spend all night drinking.

Reply #224990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been reading these comments for the past few days, seems some of you know what you are talking about and others i am not so sure. Interesting comment about the drinking, noticed my a number of people that the U/16 coaches did not smell of beer at there games and were not seen coming out of pubs at lunch times, yet the U/18 coaches seem to think they are not been noticed. From a parents view it will only take one slip up from one of the U/18 coaches and SA Country will be in a little trouble as they know of what is going on. I did here many comments from the other group so i guess it is the one group, maybe the U/16 coaches will move up due to these reasons.

Reply #224991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

224991 I hope that either English is your second language, or you are drunk. Fail.

Reply #225001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are more average coaches coaching good players than good coaches coaching average players which means some players will develop a lot later.
It would be more of a test to toss the existing 16 country coach into the 18 slot for the nationals because blind Freddy could take a talented group through like the metro 20 girls last year.
So rather than put the country 18 coach down, offer the 16's country coach the 18's gig and see how it goes.
I still recall the 16 country coach last year telling all and sundry they'd bring home the gold and I'm pretty sure they fell way short of that. 16 country have two outstanding players and IMO that leaves them way short of a sure thing. Country 16's have to get over metro 16's to claim a shot at gold and on balance, I don't think they can, but it would be one hell of a game.
18 country will be more competitive than most think and have a key asset missing from the metro 18 squad - harmony. 18 country will play a team game as usual and succeed, metro will be the 3 player team that has seen them fall short of expectations time and again and country should beat them head to head despite the excessive size of the metro heads.

Reply #225033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice post.

I actually think the head coach of the 18 country team can coach, and will get his team going very well. I personally would like them to go very well. Obviously results from Albury were not what they wanted, but that does not mean the top 10 cant mesh and play solid team ball and win some games.

As for the drinking, i dont know what to make of that. An issue that SAC will obviously need to deal with. Like all things it's not just about on court things, but how you conduct yourself off the court..

Reply #225043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly congrats to the 16 girls teams on both making it through to the finals. Excellent job.
Some great kids in there, certainly more than just one or two.

WOW, this thread took a bit of a detour to say the least, and it looks like it has aired some dirty laundry that is in need of cleaning.

Judging by some comments, one of the coaches has come in to respond somewhat, those comments are easy to see. Which is fair enough too. Not all trafic shold be one way.

To the 'parent' of a child, i guess you can take action and address this issue to the SAC officers. Easily contactable on the SA country website, but with that may bring ramifications of your child not ever making state again (they may not wish to, or may be too old for another run anyway) but if you feel strongly enough then I suggest you do it.
JB or BB would be the people to see.

Anyways, good luck with it all. Not saying metro is better or any of that, but I think I will stay just that...metro! and yes we have our own problems to deal with.....i know that too.

Reply #225095 | Report this post

Rings  
Years ago

Ahh yes the 16's girls had two very strong teams this yr at country champs. and there has been a couple of players i know of that have moved to metro. but as one of the 16's country boys after watchin the grand of the girls at country cup, i gotta say the country national team will be very hrad to beat, and metro will have there hands full takin S Tal. and A Wil.

As for the coaches, i believe all country coaches have earned there spot. 16 girls coach is very good, but 18 girls coach is also very good. both have totally different game methods though.

So guys, just wait and see the results of the nationals and then talk about it, the 18s girls country team will do very well when jelled together, and the 18's national team,(even with what peolle consider to be favourism) will go very well aswell. The 16 girls country team i believe will make the grand, and be able to take out the gold. The 16 boys country team (the one im tryin out for) is very unpredictable. I mean we were able to get 2nd in 14's and pt mac, and then this yr losing to NSW(gold medalders) by 4. I really believe the the results will depend on how switched on we r going to be.

As for the metro teams, trainin with some of the 16 boys and knowin some of the 16 girls they are going to be equally as strong. the 18 boys i played aginist some of them last yr in district, and from look they will also have a strong team. as for the 18 girls though i can not comment because i am unsure on the players.

and to #224976 who doubled choked last yr??

Reply #230421 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754