Anonymous
Years ago

Junior Drug Testing

Why aren't SASI juniors and state players drug tested. At the moment you can go through the whole junior representative program and not be drug tested once. Do the powers that run the sport think basketball is immune to having drug cheats in the ranks or do they just not want to know?
For that matter, are any junior athletes in any sport subjected to drug tests at the South Australian Sports Institute?
Is the NBL drug tested?
SASI juniors get information about not using drugs but there are no checks to see if they are using them.
Just curious as to why this so.

Topic #18807 | Report this topic

They are  
Years ago

SASI full scholarship holders are subject to testing. State players are subject to drug testing as well from when the team is announced and forwarded to BA until the end of the Championship. They attend a seminar the day before the start of the nationals as well. Testing has been carried out by ASDA in the past, I'm not sure whether this body still exists. I assume it does.

Reply #222844 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

SASI and State players are drug tested (or were in my day).

Reply #222870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a scare tactic , no one has ever been tested but if you can supply one name I'll stand corrected.

Reply #222879 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

There was an SA kid drug tested at Nationals the year before last (and in recent years other states too), I wont name them as the player was a jr. But I was involved in that tournament, so yes it does happen.

However they are (very) rare (looking at the ratio of players tested to untested), so I can see how you don't believe they happen. Plus unless there is a positive test, then really, who is going to make a big song and dance about it? Just doesn't make the front page of the advertiser "Junior player tests negative to drugs at national junior championship".

Reply #222885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

recreational drugs, or more serious

Reply #222906 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

My experience comes from a few years ago so may be out of date. When I did some testing for ASDA (now ASADA) the main concern was the cost of testing (approximately $3-400 test). Given that testing at this level is about having a deterrent effect rather than 'catching' anyone, they will spend their money to create a presence so Juniors will be very rarely tested. Better that juniors know they CAN be tested (because somebody has) rather than pay for the cost of everybody being tested.

My experience is that very few open competitors were actually tested so it is unlikely that many juniors at all will be tested.

Reply #222911 | Report this post

Jack Slim  
Years ago

What a complete waste of time and resources testing juniors would be.

Reply #223136 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's not as stupid as you think Slim. But, like anything, the "Devil is in the detail"

First thing to ask is "what is the objective, and what do you hope to achieve?" Is it a deterrent (which never works), or to protect the child.

Who will be tested? Elite kids, or get 'em in U10s?

What drugs will be tested for? Dope? Well, that would catch a high % of kids in certain areas.

What are you going to do if you catch someone?

Reply #223140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they tested they'd catch at least one.

Reply #223204 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

what drugs are you interested in?
i would say thc a def + in 3 to 4 out of 20, amphetamines would be in some...1 in 10, but if your talking steroids, i would say 1 in 50 would be +.

imo....ofcourse....
next thing you need to think about is coaches!!!!

Reply #223242 | Report this post

BigTimePlayer  
Years ago

U/20s would be major one to test at seeing that they're legal to drink, which brings drugs as well. I'm sure most ppl would be smart enough not to take rec drugs a week before nationals so that it stays in there system.

I've personally never seen or heard anyone get tested at nationals in the last 5 or so years.

Reply #223289 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

thc stays in for much longer than 1 week i can tell you..ecstasy, amphetamines and steroids would be the key look at's, but i would think steroids would be what i would want to know about..on an athletic point of view.

Reply #223293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be prudent to test the U 18's.

Reply #223313 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

but what are they going to do if they get a + result?

Reply #223364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exwhyzee
State coaching director needs to address the issue rather than ignore it and pretend nothing's going on.

Reply #223392 | Report this post

ExWhyZee  
Years ago

and what are they going to do....kick ppl out of the program, educate, send them to help??

thats all i'm asking...if the afl cant work it out, what makes you think sasi or and other program will solve the problem...

again, you need to identify the drug and treat it? different drugs, different problems...not all drugs are an addiction either....steroids might be used for there need to get bigger/better/rehab...

now u tell me what they are going to test for and the treatment proposed and then see where your heading...coz some times ppl just want to name names and do jack shit to help, or resolve issues!

Reply #223461 | Report this post

Ostrich 74  
Years ago

No coach in australia is involved in drug testing as that is the legal requirement, asada can test any SASI athlete they want. Give them a call and ask them what they are doing, players that are drug tested according to asada rules for what is a required drug

Reply #223470 | Report this post

I am Mutley  
Years ago

I really don't see the point in drug testing juniors. Let the powers that be spend the money on something useful....like another Ivory back scratcher, or something.

Reply #224840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754