SVD
Years ago

NH: No Public Holiday for Anzac Day?

I was having a look to see what day Anzac Day public holiday falls this year. 25 April is a Saturday.

Looking on a few websites it looks like when Anzac Day falls on a Saturday we don't get a public holiday on the following Monday. Is this correct?

If it is correct that is a travesty.

Topic #18816 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

SVD - Correct

Same in all stats it would appear except for the ACT.

http://linky.com.au/hpgdr

Reply #222977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is correct SVD.

Funnily enough, I've heard that this is changing.........from next year.

Reply #222979 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Anon979 - next year doesn't give me a day off this year.

Found this story http://linky.com.au/1csql

The RSL don't care that "the working man" is not getting a day off. They are all retired - every day is a day off to them - I live for my public holidays.

How is this not front page news?

Reply #222984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scott we haven't had a public holiday for Anzac day if it falls on a saturday or sunday probably for the last 15 or more years can't work out how come you missed the memo.

Reply #222985 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Really - I don;t remember this ever happening before.

I think we get it on a Sunday just not a Saturday.

just had a look at the legislation

Holidays Act 1910 Section 3 A and B

3Days fixed as holidays

(1) The days mentioned in Schedule 2 will be public holidays and bank holidays but

(a) when a day mentioned in Part 2 of Schedule 2 falls on a Saturday, the following Monday will be a public holiday instead of that day and that day
and the following Monday will be bank holidays; and

(b) when a day mentioned in Part 2 of Schedule 2 falls on a Sunday, that day and
the following Monday will be public holidays and bank holidays.

2002 Easter Monday I think was on 27 April so we still go a day off.

Reply #222987 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anon - Not quite true. If it falls on a SUNDAY. We DO and have had the day off on the Monday.

Reply #222988 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Sorry pushed "Post" early

Anzac day does not appear in Schedule 2 so it doesn't apply to those rules.

So they added this rule but didn't put in Saturday so therefore no public holiday

3AAnzac Day

In addition to the days mentioned in Schedule 2, 25 April will be a public holiday and bank holiday but when that day falls on a Sunday, that day and the following Monday will be public holidays and bank holidays.

Doesn't mention Saturday in the legislation so we don't get a day off.

Reply #222991 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

How can retired service men return to their old units for Anzac Day when they only get the weekend to do it. A bit hard to travel to the otherside of the country for one day and be expected to return home immedietley after.

Yes Veterans may have retired, however there are a lot of vetarans from Vietnam to Present who still need to work to make ends meet.

Reply #223000 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Gee how hard done by we are - so we have to celebrate/remember those that fought for us in times of war and in some cases paid the ultimate sacrifice, on the actual day! Which happens to be a Saturday this year.

How about instead of winging we all go to a RSL and have a beer and a game of 2up with those uncaring retired guys - who knows we might learn something and have a bit more respect for the sacrifices these guys have made to ensure we can be bleating about how hard done by we are for missing out on a day off!

Reply #223003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at my calender, only WA and ACT get it. glad i live in WA

Reply #223012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Final Day of the U/18 National Championships in Gawler are played on Anzac Day.... Does this bother anyone ?

Reply #223035 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

MS - cos wanting a day off from the humdrum of daily life is a bad thing. I'm sure the Anzacs want us to have a day off.

You could be possibly the only person I have ever known who has wanted to work more.

Reply #223036 | Report this post

Steveo  
Years ago

You guys are clowns...........There is a public holiday on the 27 April for Anzac Day.

Next topic!!!!

Reply #223047 | Report this post

Er, no there isn't Steveo.

No additional public holiday when Anzac Day is on a Saturday- it just makes that Saturday a public holiday.

Reply #223051 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

woohoo..finally its good to be living in WA

Reply #223052 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Unfortunately its the only thing so far that I have found good in WA

Reply #223061 | Report this post

ex-digger  
Years ago

Those men who have paid the ultimate sacrifice did so,so you whinging bitches don't have to work Saturdays (in most cases). And if any employer makes an ex-serviceman wok then they need a lesson in history. For those that don't have the guts or genitals to join, here is a saying from my days in he army "HARDEN THE F*CK UP!"

Reply #223079 | Report this post

Patriot  
Years ago

Ex-digger, I can feel all of your ex and current service mates cringe at your stupid comments.

I have the utmost respect for current and ex service men who all are, or have been ready to make the ultimate sacrifice; however knob heads like you who seem to think that because you have served your country you automatically deserve respect make me laugh.

So... we are all gutless because we have not joined the services are we? What a moronic stupid comment to make. Sure the ADF could run the whole country no problems, eh?

Can I suggest if our fore fathers all marched off to war so we could all have Saturdays off, then I get the feeling they marched off for the wrong reason because a huge majority of Australians today work on weekends so morons like you can have a drink and place a bet and whine about the stupid civilians who are all to scared to join up and serve their country.

Reply #223135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

okay im not going to get involved with some of the comments here, but perhaps instead of whinging, you should come to dawn service, then the london tavern, watch the march, then head to the union, for what is my favourite day of the year.

Reply #223139 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754