Isaac
Years ago

36ERS chances of finishing in the top two

After the win tonight, Adelaide is 17-12 on the ladder and the Hawks are 18-10. Sydney are clear at 18-9 with a better percentage.

Our remaining games are Taipans (H), Bullets (H) and Taipans (A).

The Hawks' remaining games are Kings (A), Razorbacks (A), Pirates (H) and Kings (H).

Finishing top two is a huge upgrade on finishing 3rd or 4th. To steal 2nd from the Hawks, we need to win all 3 of our games (finishing 20-12) and have the Hawks only win one of their last four and finish (19-13).

Tough, but is it out of the question? We'd be favourites to win our three games. And the Hawks could well lose two games to Sydney leaving us needing them to have an unlikely loss to the Razorbacks or Pirates.

We can only hope!

Topic #1882 | Report this topic

cavalo  
Years ago

Issac, I think we have a decent chance IF we win all our three remaining games like you said.

The Hawks play three games in 5 days next week against two extremely tough defensive teams in Sydney and Hunter, with a game against the Jeckyl & Hyde Razorbacks in between who did spank them silly a bit early in the season if I remember rightly.

The Kings don't have the easiest schedule either - 3 games in 4 days next week, Hawks, Pirates & Tigers and that's after travelling to singapore last week and playing a tough game there - pretty grueling - they then have two games in two days the week after to finish out the regular season, one against the Hawks again and one against the Pigs - whoa! Almost getting up to the level of an NBA schedule here!

Anyhoo, if the hoop gods are smiling upon us, and one of these teams have a rough trot, we could sneak in 2nd, maybe even first! =) IF we first win all three of our games!!!!! =) Maybe Bernie can call in a favour upstairs?

GO YOU SIXERS!!!!

Reply #21295 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

I doubt it, although it would be very nice. It is obviously not impossible for the Sixers to win their last 3 or for the Hawks to go 1-4 during this stretch run.

However, if I was to bet I would certainly put my money on the Hawks winning against West Sydney & Hunter. Yet, the Razorbacks are trying to put themselves in a position to get to the playoffs, no matter how unlikely, so they might be a hell of a tough win. But that of course will change if they can't get the win against the Tigers on Saturday night.

For the Hawks to go 1-4 the rest of the way, they would have to have their worst stretch over 5 games that they have had over the entire season. I don't see it happening, but again, it would be nice.

A top 4 finish is probably the best the Sixers can do. If they can keep hold of 3rd spot (I really hope they do because we have all but owned it all season) they will be in a good spot with an elimination final at home.

Home court advantage would be nice in a best-of-3 however!

Reply #21299 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

told you - phil WILL get the boys to peak at the right time - down to business now.

what is teh split with the Hawks and us?

Reply #21301 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Just a small correction for you Jasmine, the Hawks only have four games left, unless you are including tonight's game with your '5' games to go. Let's not forget that the Hawks had a 1-3 trot mid december with losses against Cairns, Brisbane and Perth!

But hey, at the end of the day we can only hope - I would rather own 1st or 2nd spot not third! You just never know how all the teams will be sitting in two weeks time! Unexpected things happen very frequently, especially in sport! =)

Reply #21302 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

The Hawks split with us is 2-1 in favour of the Hawks. They thrashed us about a month or so back in W/gong, then the ugly win over us at home on Sat., but we got the win tonight! =)

Reply #21303 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Cavalo...I was including the Sixers game in my math, but you are correct. In fact they did go 1-4 now I look at it in mid-December.

Hawks 76 - Kings 86
Hawks 89 - Wildcats 92
Hawks 93 - Bullets 111
Hawks 105 - Crocodiles 97
Hawks 78 - Taipans 80

I stand corrected. Still, I don't like our chances but you never know.

Reply #21304 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

We only have 3 games left against the Bullets and Cairns at home, then Cairns away. These 2 teams are not the toughest to beat and particularly at home. With Brett back for 2 or possibly all 3 of these games, we can do it. We've had some great wins without Brett against the Hawks tonight and The Tigers just over a week ago.

Reply #21305 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Just thought I would add some more 'hope' to the Sixers chances of avoiding these silly one-game knockouts and finishes either first or second.

Hawks run to the finals:-
9/2 - at Kings (currently 0-1)
11/2 - at Pigs (currently 1-1)
13/2 - vs Pirates (currently 1-1, a close on both times)
18/2 - vs Kings (hopefully will be 0-2?)

Kings run to the finals:-
9/2 - vs Hawks (currently 1-0)
11/2 - at Pirates (currently 2-0, one win by 1pt)
12/2 - vs Tigers (currently 2-0, one by 3pts, one by 1pt, tigers in hot form)
18/2 - at Hawks (who knows by now!)
19/2 - at Pigs (currently 1-1, a trashing both ways for each result who knows with these two Sydney teams?)

Food for thought - any one want to place bets!?!?!? =)

Reply #21306 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I just hope the Kings and Wollongong beat the living crap out of eachother when they play!

Maybe one of them will be limping into the finals after their 2 gruelling games as both like to win ugly

Reply #21326 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I don't like our chances of finishing top 2 but Brisbane losing was an added bonus. Top 4 is looking a bit more comfortable. But can we hold off Melbourne and Townsville?

Reply #21335 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Townsville.... they are the team to beat in the finals. It will be hard having to play 2 KO games in a row(maybe only 1 if they get top 4), but they have won 6 in a row and dont look like losing. Their home crowd is really getting behind them since they hosted the all-star game, so if they win all their home games, they just need a few road upsets. (although this goes for most finals teams)

The 2 semi finals should be kings with 2 home games against the crocs and wollongong with the home ground advantage over the sixers. but u never know what will happen in the last couple of rounds and the KO finals.

Reply #21337 | Report this post

Jimmy  
Years ago

We will need aot of luck i reckon but anythign is possible. We just need to start finding form again and get Marher fit. THe addition of Hill has been great. If we do get 2nd it wil be sweet but i still think we will be contenders from 3rd, where i think we will end up.

Reply #21362 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

By the looks of it I think Townsville, Adelaide & Melbourne will all finish on 19 and 13 in which case it will be interesting to see how the league works this one out.

Considering Townsville have the split over us and they have the split over the Tigers.

Tigers have the split over us also.

So I guess that would place them like this;
3 - Crocodiles 19-13
4 - Tigers 19-13
5 - 36ers 19-13

So really we need to win our remaining 3 games Cairns, Bullets, @ Cairns to take us to 20-12 which will take Croc's out of this scenario as the already have 13 losses.

I don't think we can get top 2 unless there are some major upsets

Wollongong should at least get wins over West Sydney and Hunter taking them to 20 wins - they also play kings twice but that will be irrelevant if they get 20 wins they are higher than us.

Sydney also play Hunter and West Sydney which will take them to 20 wins - their other games are irrelevant also.

Reply #21381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crocs will be tough. Last night they beat the Pirates who shot 59% from the field, 40% from outside, and had 8 more rebounds than they did. The Pirates averaged more than 30 points a quarter and were still beaten.

Crocs had four guys 20+ and one with 19. And this was with Rose only getting 7 points. Their streak is now 7 games. No other team has a streak of more than one!

Reply #21385 | Report this post

J Bags Hata  
Years ago

Sixers now have 2 atleast

Reply #21438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:34 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754