Rambis Spectacles
Years ago

Set top Boxes for NBA.

Hi,

can anyone give me any advice on HD Set Top Boxes (brands, price, what to look 4 & where to go for good buy etc.). Have a 3 year old standard TV and want to set myself up for NBA on Ch 10HD. Do they record OK onto VCR OK?? Any advice appreciated.

Topic #18828 | Report this topic

time4anewtv  
Years ago

Id buy a new tv personally as you can get a built in hd tuner in say a 42 plasma for just over a grand or go the 68inch if you got the cash.

If you cant then any set top box would do the job, you get what you pay for is generally the rule with electronics so dont go to cunno's and buy one of theirs.

With recording onto vcr it will work but you will loose quality, Have you thought of a hd recorder as most have the inbuilt hd tuners so you can record and watch different shows, always handy when the wife wants to watch soapies and better stuff is on.

Reply #223132 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

Do you sell new cars too time4anewtv, not everyone is flush with cash to go out and buy a new tv and hd recorder.

Rambis -

you have a couple of options

Cheapest - a HD set top box, try JB HiFi, i bought the cheapest one they have got and it works fine (sorry cant remember the brand). You can then run the cables through your VCR line in and record that way. $120 I think it cost me from memory

2nd Cheapest - a HD recorder (usually just a HDD or could be a HDD and DVD recorder - your choice on price). This could include a Tivo or some other device probably around the $600 mark. If you go this option make sure the recorder will tune into High Definition, there are lots of units with built in digital tuners but they are only Standard Definition tuners

Most expensive option - a new HD TV - decent brand $1200+ and a HD recorder see above.

Reply #223138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if your on a old TV, just get a cheap HD box and run it through your VCR. I use that combination for the NFL and its fine. Teac, grundig are made by the same people i think and from the research i did unless you pay real good money they are all the same for what you are after.

Reply #223142 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I have been recording from a HD to VCR and it looks fine, normal VCR quality.

I went the TV option with a built in tuner, and this records fine on my VCR but the problem is I can only record when the TV is on. Which is impractical if you want to record after you are asleep or out at work. If you have a separate PVR or HD tuner you can just leave that on, and have the TV off. So I am going to have to buy a PVR now too.

Also, Digital reception is about ten times better than analogue, I am running digital crystal clear off bunny ears, whereas the analogue stations still look bad.

Reply #223144 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Thanks for the info guys- i'm in the same situation as Rambis Spectacles, old tv etc.

Gonna go for the el-cheapo hd and use the vcr.

I'm not a big one for watching games more than once and i never watch anything if i know the result so vcr is fine, one good tape and it will never leave the machine, just keep on re-recording...

Why am i posting this... This is just an inner monologue...

Go Jazz!

Reply #223145 | Report this post

Rambis Spectacles  
Years ago

Thanks both for your suggestions. Much appreciated. Time to go searching/shopping!

Reply #223148 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Teac set top box's are crap.
Ours packed it in after 12 months.
Got a Beyonwiz PVR now with built in HD tuner.
Brilliant.

Have another HD TV with built in tuner, but it's not as functional as the Beyonwiz.

Isn't the analogue network being shut down next year ??

Reply #223149 | Report this post

phantom  
Years ago

If u wanting to check out prices before u go shopping go to www.lasoo.con.au they have got all the retail outlets on one site

Reply #223156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you record from HD to VCR? My VCR/DVD Recorder does not pick up the HD channels? Little help?

Reply #223233 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754