Isaac
Years ago

McPeake hints at BA-run Sydney NBL team?

Sportal has an article with quotes from Tigers owner Seamus McPeake complaining about the attention that the A-League is getting.

Tigers boss slams A-League

Amongst them, McPeake appears to outline a BA plan to initiate a Sydney team should there be no successful private bids. See the fourth paragraph here:

Regarding the new basketball competition, McPeake said he hoped the kind of 'idiots' that had been in charge of doomed NBL teams in the past would stay away, saying: "It's all about building the business of sport and making every franchise viable."

Applications for franchises in the new league will close on February 27 and McPeake believes enough successful bids will be received by then even with the requirement of potential new clubs and current NBL clubs unable to meet the new criteria to pay an operational fee of $1 million.

"It's a necessity from a financial accountability point of view that everyone has their money on the line, that we don't go through any more debacles that we've gone through over the last few years," he said.

McPeake was confident that a stable team could be set up in Sydney and if a private bid wasn't received for a harbour city outfit, BA would aim to appoint someone to run one in the city which saw two clubs enter financial ruin in the space of five months of each other last year.
On one hand, it's not an entirely ridiculous idea, but surely it could be easily abused? If Adelaide conspiracists think the league helps the Kings along now, what might they think once the team is openly created by the NBL?

(A related idea thrown out there by someone in the past was for Fox to run their own team in Sydney and have as many televised Wednesday games as they wanted. Obviously not going to see that in this financial climate, but it's not that stupid an idea from a sponsorship perspective at least.)

Should the NBL start a team in Sydney if no one else does? How could they effectively distance the team from the league in order to avoid allegations of bias?

Topic #18849 | Report this topic

Infinite Self  
Years ago

This has disaster written all over it.

Is this why BA is pushing for so much cash up front from new and existing owners so they can pump that in to a Sydney team instead of marketing the league?

Imagine F1 being run with a team owned by Ecclestone or A League having a Lowy owned team.

Just a straight forward dumb idea.

If no business people of Sydney can see how the team would be a sucess why would BA with their track record think they can do a good job of it.

Reply #223335 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Unless BA think they could develop it into a saleable product for the future.

Reply #223336 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

LOL don't think there's any point trying to compare this to F1. Ferrari already get a heap of concessions! How much extra do that get than any other team if the win the championship!

But I know what you mean.

Reply #223337 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ok Infinite self...I'll bite....

for 18 months the a-league actually ran the Perth glory, and Sydney FC was owned and financially propped up by Lowy...(in the scond year he sunk 4 mill.)

and since its about a year since I've come to BA's defence here...tell us whats been wrong with BA's track record over the last 3-5 years, considering their resources, their income and their influence....

Reply #223339 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

I agree Isaac that it would be a farce if they were to bring back a Sydney team (that nobody seems to be interested in doing) and have it run by the League.
Seems like they'd just be putting together a product and effectively forcing it onto people and assuming they'll just turn up week in, week out like when they rebranded the Spirit.
The public aren't stupid.
I'd like to see a team back in Sydney, but not if everybody else wants it more than they even do!

As for that dirty rat McPeake's comments about hoping that the 'idiots' stay away- that's pretty rich coming from the biggest conscience lacking tool in the sport- I nearly laughed out loud when I read that and by the way, if owners aren't allowed to be on the Board as of next season to alleviate some of the inbred nature in Oz basketball, when is he either going to give up ownership of the Tigers or step down from the Board?

Reply #223341 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

the only reason they would do this is to satisfy requirements to get the foxtel deal over the line.

Reply #223342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HO, I think you're right there. Any way they could remove some of the likely allegations of bias though? If a points cap or tribunal decision ever favours them, they will cop it!

Reply #223343 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

i agree Isaac. The a-league has put up with the perth and Sydney situations. I suspect you make extra-ordinary decisions around any BA controlled team subject to the scrutiny of perhaps three independent team GM's.

Reply #223344 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Will BA give itself the benefit of paying double the salary cap because it would technically be a new team in the NBL? That would go down very well with all the other clubs when they have to pay so much more to be part of the NewBL only to have those funds put into a team that is going to stand in their way of making it to the top. Hardly.

Reply #223345 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

EC - without having read the EOI, what are the actual new costs?

- existing clubs do not pay a license fee, only a new club
- existing clubs will need to pay part of the $700,000 that league clubs combined pay

what other new costs are there outside of running the club?

Reply #223346 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

"A related idea thrown out there by someone in the past was for Fox to run their own team in Sydney and have as many televised Wednesday games as they wanted."

Good idea, but didn't we already try that with the Sydney Kings?

Reply #223350 | Report this post

courtney walsh  
Years ago

Isn't it a foregone conclusion that the spirit are just gonna rename themselves the kings? If this happens, yet basically the same roster exists i won't be supporting them till every remnant of the razorbacks has left the club.

Reply #223357 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Courtney,

People like you are the exact reason that basketball in this country is struggling for fans.

Reply #223365 | Report this post

Shirley Schmidt  
Years ago

Infinite Self, Ecclestone did used to own a F1 team.
It was called Brabam, and he bought it from Sir Jack Brabam when Sir Jack retired from F1.

Reply #223369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In a further boost for the sport, broadcaster Fox Sports will televise every game next season either live or close to live and Melbourne coach Al Westover described that as the key to the growth of Australian basketball."

So it has been confirmed, but what about onselling to One HD? Anyone know if that may still happen?

Reply #223379 | Report this post

Annex2  
Years ago

There is no deal for the NBL to be broadcast on OneHD, thanks to the imbecile (the same one who advised Firepower) who didn't even bother to approach Ten (or any other FTA network for that matter) when he was involved with the review of basketball.

Same old same old in BA/NBL - the monkeys running the asylum.

Reply #223387 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Bizzy, you can't tell another person what it's like for them- it's a personal choice.
It's easy for Adelaidians to say that they should just support the team but if you've been outside Adelaide and supported another team that wasn't the only team in the state, you can't say how it would feel to have to support a team you can't relate to.
I can understand why Brisbane for example doesn't want a possible merge with Blaze, not least of which is due to the fact that their on-court results are woeful and it's a 100km drive each way.
You can't dress up a product as lamb and pass it off as mutton- people as consumers have a right to pay for products they can relate to- condoning the problem doesn't fix anything and doesn't provide solutions or a better product- they just waste everyone's time, patience and money.

Reply #223388 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

Annexe you will find there are some that approached 10 since the review came out but whether time is on their side to get something going for the new season remains doubtful- the seeds have been planted though- just not within the desired timeframe- will agree with you on that one.

Reply #223389 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Yeah, I supported the Adelaide Lambs Rams....

Reply #223398 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

lowry also owned 49% of sydney FC

Reply #223416 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

People whingeing about FTA TV....Fox has practically kept the A-League alive the past 4 years. It will probably do the same to bball!

Reply #223429 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

+1 to last post :)

hows the tv going liber

Reply #223443 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Hey HO
Additional Costs would appear to be?

Share of the $700,000/# teams so some $70,000 min could be $120,000

Plus $300,000 if they spend the new cap.

Plus what ever the MArketing fund is???

Plus have $1,000,000 in bank Guarantees?

and a balanced budget?

Can anyone confirm these?
Approx $400,000 to $600,000 additional costs per team.

Reply #223526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754