Why?
Years ago

Junior Div 1 Byes

I have just browsed through the Div 1 programmes for U12 - U18. Of the eight competitions 5 have byes as only 9 teams have been nominated. This just leaves the winter season to 16 games for over half of this elite level.

With all the talk of having more than one team in Div 1 why can't this be accommodated when uneven team numbers exist?

Topic #18888 | Report this topic

agree  
Years ago

Or allow a non-membered club to get the opportunity. The Western Magic U/12 Boys were undefeated in the summer season in div 2 and nominated div 1 and Torrens Valley U/18 Boys div 2 were undefeated and nominated div 1 so why not allow them to play as the 10th team for this season.

Reply #223770 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Good point agree.

Reply #223771 | Report this post

moose 66  
Years ago

torrens valley would get killed in the eighteens.

but agreed is right, an extra team should really be allowed to be brought up, it will only be good for the league.

Reply #223774 | Report this post

Why?  
Years ago

Magic U12 beat the Div 1 teams competing at Starplex! No vacancy at U 18 boys though.

Reply #223776 | Report this post

NOT HAPPY  
Years ago

I totally agree with this thread WHY????? isn't a Western Magic, Torrens Valley or any other basketball club allowed to nominate div 1. Why do the so called 10 member clubs just get the right's to nominate, if you have proved yourself over the years and know you have got teams in your club that can play at that level why not let them. It is just very disappointing for stopping children at every age level to let them play at the highest level where possible, regaurdless where they play or for whom, these kids are our future in this sport and they will just go and play another sport. And before you say go play for a membered club maybe these kids are very happy were there playing and do not want to play any where else. Like they say it is no point playing any sport if you are not happy. I just think it is very wrong and Basketball in South Australia should wake up to them selfs and stop living in the past. like i said the KIDS are our future in this sport.

Reply #223795 | Report this post

you speak for everyone at non-member clubs, do you not happy.

Everyone else pays for the right field a division 1 team, if Magic or whatever fielded a div 1 team without paying that membership fee it would be grossly unfair

If they have so many happy players, surely the club would have no trouble finding the money?

Reply #223800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Happy , mainly because these clubs have poached players to start and continue and cannot offer realistic pathways for recruitment and development

Reply #223801 | Report this post

Why?  
Years ago

I am not from a non-member club BUT...

Surely filling a Div 1 competition is important rather than having byes. I confess I don't know anything about what it costs to be allowed a Div 1 spot but if by promoting these teams eliminates Div 1 byes and increases/strengthens the competition for the other clubs surely it must be good for basketball.

And I hope "us member clubs" don't simply say they won't be competitive - I am confident these two named teams would not finish bottom in Div 1. What are we scared of?? one of these teams making the finals or heaven help us, win the Div 1 GF!!!

I am just saying - we do not need byes in Div 1 if clubs, whether they are member or non member clubs are prepared to fill that vacancy.

Reply #223803 | Report this post

Why?  
Years ago

I am not from a non-member club BUT...

Surely filling a Div 1 competition is important rather than having byes. I confess I don't know anything about what it costs to be allowed a Div 1 spot but if by promoting these teams eliminates Div 1 byes and increases/strengthens the competition for the other clubs surely it must be good for basketball.

And I hope "us member clubs" don't simply say they won't be competitive - I am confident these two named teams would not finish bottom in Div 1. What are we scared of?? one of these teams making the finals or heaven help us, win the Div 1 GF!!!

I am just saying - we do not need byes in Div 1 if clubs, whether they are member or non member clubs are prepared to fill that vacancy.

Reply #223804 | Report this post

NOT HAPPY  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHA hear we go again we poached players what a joke those players left those clubs because they were not happy at them, and they were not ran properly. And as for your comment Eastern Lowland Gorilla you would not have a clue if those clubs would struggle paying those fees, like all the other clubs. Otherwise they would not have nominated in div 1 i am quite sure Western magic and Torrens Valley would of thought of that and would be able to easierly afford it.

Reply #223807 | Report this post

Shotclock  
Years ago

It is about time these so-called affiliated clubs applied to become member clubs with all associated costs and responsibilities, then they could stop rorting the system and a more level playing field could be enjoyed by all!

How can it be good for the KIDS on both sides, those that are getting smacked by a team playing below their true grade and those being given a false sense of their own ability by winning every week.

Yes, KIDS are our future in this sport and BSA needs to make the decision - affiliated clubs become full district members or go play social.

Reply #223818 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NOW - not next season or next year the time is NOW!!

Reply #223822 | Report this post

Dog 72  
Years ago

Why? beg to differ - Bearcat U12 Girls Div1 beat Western Magic - twice! at Starplex

Plus Rockets U18 only had 5 players and Magic only JUST beat them

Reply #223829 | Report this post

Froggy  
Years ago

Does it really matter who takes up the 10th spot? What happens when somebody from a 9 grade comp pulls out taking these comps to an 8 week comp that doesn't get to play at home with all the other teams?

Reply #223835 | Report this post

Why?  
Years ago

Anon,

Was talking boys not girls in U12's. In U 18's you talking boys or girls?

Reply #223853 | Report this post

agree  
Years ago

It was actually U/12 Boys Western Magic not the girls and my bad it was the U/16 Boys Torrens Valley that I was talking about yesterday nominated for Div 1 and there is a spot available not the U/18 Boys.

Reply #223874 | Report this post

Us Member Clubs  
Years ago

Why not let in a couple of social teams as well?

IMO non member clubs should not even be in the comp at all; not Div 1,2 or 26!

Sorry, if Div 1 is lacking teams there are a few "member clubs" that have been asking for 2 Div 1 teams for many years now, and can fill them.

Go off and have your own league with Semaphore, the Norther Rattlers or Pookys Pie Farters.

If you want to play with the big kids.... become one.

Reply #223885 | Report this post

Why?  
Years ago

U.M.C.

I don't disagree with what you are saying but why not allow for this season, where we have over half the Div 1 competitions with byes, a second team from member clubs or a first team from non member clubs be promoted to Div 1. I bet if you took a poll of the players they would prefer to play rather than not.

Reply #223889 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Western Magic U12 Div 2 boys team is a strong team and should be up in Div 1 IMO. I have seen them play and they are well coached and are a tidy unit.

Reply #223897 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

My kid is about to quit due to this crap that is going on - well done BSA - well done competitions committee, well done clubs, well done commission. How about letting the kids play at the highest level they can, Not allowing a 10th team, because of self serving interests weakens basektball in this state and hinders development of players. You want National titles, you want elite level players, you want AIS representatives. You want kids in Australian teams from SA. You are reducing the pool of players to choose from with your rules and voting and the fall out from it.

Allow another member team into the Div 1 comps OR insist on the Torrens Valleys, the Easterns the Magics paying what everyone else does to be in this competition, then their kids can play Div 1 it will let a lot of kids that can and should be playing Div 1 play it.

Because of this benign, antiquated set-up teams get pushed further down into the lower divisions. EG teams that should be in Div1 playing div 2 - Teams that should be in Div2 in Div3 and so on and so forth. Not good for the players not about developing players and certainly not good for basketball in this state!

Reply #223900 | Report this post

clues  
Years ago

#223900 , Interesting that you beleive by your kid not playing div 1 is reducing the pool of state players, national players etc. Can I ask a qustion - If they are so good, why then can't your kid even make the div 1 team at your club????

If your kid is playing to play pro-basketball I would think they are living in a dream world. Play for fitness, the challenge, the friendships and the love of the game then regardless of what team they make or whether they go pro or not they will play.

Reply #223905 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Clueless - No where in my comments did I say my kid should be in div 1 - My kid and his team will end up in a grade well below the standard that they have been use to because of not allowing an extra div 1 team, the teams that should be in Div 1 playing div 2 etc etc. My comments are about b/ball generally in this state and the impact it has on all kids playing ball. And if you follow the results of Div 2's you will see that some Torrens Valley boys teams should very clearly not be in Div 2 but in Div 1. So thats where the other teams get pushed down. Thats why they should be made to pay like the member clubs and their kids then should be in Div 1 - problem solvered

Reply #223912 | Report this post

Dog 59  
Years ago

Some clubs have bottom age players who are in div 2 that will be state players the following year.

And some kids would rather quit basketball than move clubs.

It is a loss for basketball!

Reply #223913 | Report this post

Dog 59  
Years ago

ELG,

It is not having the div 1 team that costs. It's that your club wastes money on buying imports and paying players as well as new uniforms and trainings.

Funny that those clubs who have managed to keep senior costs down, or generate sponsorship dollars to pay for their senior programs, are those that have done well in juniors.

Reply #223937 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bring on the BSA changes to association based basketball

Reply #223938 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NOW!!

Reply #223980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And kill off 8 clubs in the process. Well done.

Hope you enjoy your 8 team comp with 4 Sturt teams and 4 Forestville teams playing. Yeah that's the solution.

And if clubs are so good at running competitions themselves why is City South the joke it is?

Association models sound great but won't work in Adelaide.

Reply #223984 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

984, why don't you think it'll work?

Reply #223988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 900:
The issue is not just isolated to your child not being able to play div 1 at magic or wherever but why they can't play div 1 there.
Clubs need to show a development program and provide evidence of a sustainable recruitment ability in order to show viability. Magic, for example, was born out of a split from an existing district club and it was started by mainly players and coaches from that district club.
Magic has established itself as having a strong lower division base of players that pay considerably less in fees than established or what were called member clubs. They pay that reduced fee because they don't have the overheads of CABL and Div 1 teams in every age group. Other factors also contribute to the lower fees.
BASA allowed the birth of clubs like magic without due consideration to the narrow recruiting zone of major clubs in that zone , namely, West Adelaide and Woodville and in hindsight Im sure they would do it differently.
Magic has flourished in providing quality lower division basketball teams and may have one or two teams that approach div 1 standard but I believe that allowing such clubs the right to put div 1 teams in here and there is unacceptable because the charter of established clubs is to have div 1 teams in every age group and support a senior div 1 team in men and women.
Consequently until minor clubs can field teams in all div 1 age groups, boys and girls and run a CABL men and womens program, they would be having their cake and eating it too at the expense of the clubs who run expensive programs to sustain basketball competitiveness in South Austraia.
Already some established clubs are struggling to field teams in all age groups such as Mavericks, Wests and Centrals who need to lift their game in terms of their junior development but undoubtedly minor clubs with cheap fees contribute to these clubs not being able to do so.
As in all things threatening to pull your son out or him quitting is meaningless. If he is any good or your club has the whole teams best interests at heart they'd welcome you going to one of the established clubs to get the div 1 you so desire.

Reply #223993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

Population, Size of the City, Club administrations, availability and quality of administrators, lack of facilities, lack of coaches, lack of referees, a tiny playing base, a lack of a long term plan for basketball, a lack of a short term plan for basketball and that's just the ones I've come up with while typing. Give me a day and I'd have another 100 reasons for you.

What concerns me the most is that the proposals I've seen and heard of are based on what people say and think and in reality are a case of hope and see.

I would like to see these plans backed up with some research and facts before they are introduced.

Associations models sounds interesting and maybe any change is better then the current system but do you know what the current Association model of BSA's actually means for you, your club, the sport at grass roots; no you don't, and neither do BSA, they're just hoping that it will work because it's not the current system and it works to some degree in other states.

Reply #223994 | Report this post

Ranting  
Years ago

anon,

Population and Size of the city: every other major city, including Perth, Brisbane, Hobart, asnd all other reigonal centres outsied of SA use an association model.

Why it that a problem?

Club Administration and availability of quality administrators: by moving to Association, clubs will need to employ people outside of basketball with sports industy service skills, to go with the clubs basketball understanding. This can only improve the product and therefore the sport.

Why doesn't your club have these people already?

Lack of facilities: Associations in Melbourne play without owning any facilities at all. Go and rent some, talk to coucil about building some. With income from current competitions, you can even get a loan to build yourself.

Lack of Coaches: This will develop as playing numbers increase.

Lack of referee's: This will develop as associations will need to employ and improve them to improve their competitions. Hence, it will mean that if clubs don't put effort into this, they will lose out on their own growth, a very good reason to do it.

Tiny playing base: Sa doesn't have a tiny playing base, it's just that it is spread over multiple competitions. association will put them all into local comps together.

Give me some more.

While you are whinning about why it won't work. Some clubs will be making it work, and in 10 years time your club will be gone, and you will be blaming the change. It won't be because of the change, but rather, because people like you won't embrase change, put in the necessary work, make the sacrifices and imporve basketball.

Reply #224007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

For the non/ill informed people, including myself, can you explain what you mean by association based competition and how it varies from what we have now.

Thanks

Reply #224011 | Report this post

Hood  
Years ago

Each club will run it's own stadium, and hire facilities in its area to run miniball and a saturday based reigonal competition.

From that competition, each association will select a representative team into the BSA elite competition which will be a purely by merit div 1/2/3? competition.

Reply #224016 | Report this post

Us Member Clubs  
Years ago

Hot off the press; The non member social teams will be asked to join the grown ups soon.

Reply #224235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

UMC,

When is "soon". Unfortunately I think BSA uses a different dictionary to most of us!

Reply #224285 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Now that Hoops is back, the association model debate I'll start off in a new thread....it's a big ticket issue

Reply #224297 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754