skip
Years ago

Could the Breakers tumble from the Top 4?

They are 1-4 from their last 5 games and now only sit one win above Perth and Townsville.

They have 4 games remaining and only one of those is at home.

Now I know that their last few games have been against the tigers and Dragons, but surely it must be worrying times there in NZ. Even if they do hold 3rd spot, does anyone think they will do any damage in the playoffs?

Topic #18897 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they'll drop out of the top 3 but I don't think 09 form is going to be enough to beat out the Tigers or the Dragons in a final series.
If they can regain some of 08's form they could beat anyone anywhere.
The Tigers as much as it pains me to say, are playing some nice ball and are getting it done at both ends of the court. They have timed their run well.
Perth are almost as inconsistant as the Breakers so I think 3rds safe.
They get pretty frustrating to support but at least they havn't got Gold Coasts record lol

Reply #223878 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They could if they don't take care of things from here. I think they're even 1-5 or 1-6 in a recent burst. Obviously the CJ injury hurt them in the Hawks and Spirit losses, and the rest of the Ls were against the now top two sides, but it seems to go behind that. They were 20 down against the Dragons last night before rallying and that is not good enough. I expected them to drop the first of the two Tigers games (in NZ), but didn't pick that horror start last night.

Outside shot has dried up for a few and I think they need to adjust their game when that happens.

Finish third, and they could get done in an elimination. Scrape through that and still have to beat a solid team to progress. They're really going to have to regain form to do any post-season damage.

I think Perth are a bit flakey, and obviously Adelaide have room to improve outside of the Dome, but the main challenger is probably Townsville.

Melbourne are definitely favourites right now, IMO.

Reply #223879 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Perth looked really shakey against the Spirit. I wouold have expected them to make a definitive play-off statement at home, but instead they more or less fell across the line, thanks to a deeper roster.

Melbourne are definitely a form team, but South are coming into their own - last night's performance would have sent a message to the top six.

I'm keen to see how the Crocs go against the Taipans tomorrow night. With Hawks v. Breakers, Crocs v. Dragons and Sixers v. Perth and then the Breakers, it's going to be a bir round of play-off shaping basketball, that's for sure.

Reply #223881 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

* big round.

Reply #223882 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

"I think Perth are a bit flakey, and obviously Adelaide have room to improve outside of the Dome, but the main challenger is probably Townsville.

Melbourne are definitely favourites right now, IMO."

I still don't rate the Crocs, even despite their good form I don't see them doing any damage in the playoffs.

Melbourne are annoying me, I have no idea how they're winning lately. They have Tommy Greer and Nate Crosswell staring FFS!

South are still my pick.

Reply #223956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While Crosswell and Greer are starting, they're playing around 20 minutes. It's a pretty good situation to bring DT, Hoare, Kendall and Corletto off the bench. Anyway, they've both been playing well - in last night's game, Crosswell's stats were 8 points (4/7), 3 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 turnovers (which is high for him) and 4 steals in just over 23 minutes.

Greer's were - 11 points (4/9), 4 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal in 20 minutes.

When you consider the focus of the team is on Anstey, Ebi and Barlow in that starting 5, I don't see how you could criticise their performances. They're contributing to the team and doing whatever is needed - since their injection to the starting 5 and the addition of DT and Kendall, the tigers are on a roll, winnin 8 of their last games. Also, Croswell was the starting point guard in last year's championship winning team.

Reply #223972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754