Isaac
Years ago

Wollongong Hawks not likely to stay in NBL

The Wollongong Hawks are poised to deliver the news that players and fans have been dreading.

The club has decided against applying for a place in next season's national basketball competition.

While Hawks chairman Richard Clifford would not comment on the club's dire situation yesterday, there were no more ifs, buts or maybes for the league's last original team.
Full article

Official statement expected today.

Topic #18930 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

I'm genuinely sad to hear that.

Reply #224236 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Typically Adelaide gets to enjoy the Hawks last home game... ever.
We always seem to end up in these emotion charged games.

Reply #224242 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

How would Dusty be feeling? Left Adelaide due to financial uncertainty, went to Brisbane who went under, and now Wollongong are going the same way.

Reply #224253 | Report this post

Number 44  
Years ago

These are the teams who from what I have heard will get in next year.

South
Melbourne
Perth
New Zealand
Gold Coast
Townsville

Maybe is Adelaide, but I'd say unlikely given how much is required, I can only see them in it with Government support which I don't think will be forthcoming.

Looks like Cairns, Spirit, Bullets, Kings, Hawks are non starters.

Reply #224255 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Remember that for existing clubs, the $1 million fee or whatever doesn't apply...so assuming Adelaide can sort out who owns it, I'd expect the 36ers to be in the comp next year.

Reply #224259 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

the hawks will make a comeback in a few years in my opinion, once the league gets up and running. Giving them a few years out will build anticipation for once they get back in and may do them more good than if they stayed in.

Reply #224262 | Report this post

HAHA  
Years ago

No doubt Dusty would be dissing the Hawks bad- always a pattern where he goes that teams get into financial difficulty then the claws come out.
Am sure he will get picked up somewhere else tho- isn't he naturalised now?

Reply #224267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide would be pretty likely for an inclusion, Mal Hemmerling has indicated that there will be atleast one team from Adelaide.

Reply #224296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TP, don't forget Dusty also started his NBL career with Victoria who went under...

Reply #224321 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Age website today: http://linky.com.au/o8bkm

Reply #224391 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Thats very true, but I think he got cut from the Titans before they folded. Does this mean North Adelaide will be going under soon???

Reply #224407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:42 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754