Isaac
Years ago

Harvey's 42 points wins NBL POTW

The red-hot shooting form of Gold Coast Blaze guard James Harvey has earned him the National Basketball League's (NBL) Player of the Week for Round 20.

Harvey scored a career-high and franchise record 42 points, as well as adding six rebounds as the Blaze notched just their sixth win of the season with a high-scoring 139-119 victory over the Sydney Spirit at the Gold Coast Convention Centre on Saturday night.

The 42-point haul was the highest by any NBL player this season and surpassed the 41-point effort of New Zealand's Kirk Penney on 18 September 2008 against Wollongong. It also beat Harvey's previous career-high of 39, which he notched against New Zealand on 2 October 2005.
And here are the rest of the contenders:
Other contenders for the Player of the Week included Shane Heal (Gold Coast), Kavossy Franklin (Wollongong), Phill Jones (New Zealand), Adam Ballinger (Adelaide), John Rillie (Townsville), Matt Knight (Sydney), David Barlow (Melbourne), Chris Anstey (Melbourne), Martin Cattalini (Cairns), Cameron Tovey (Townsville), Mark Worthington (South), Anthony Petrie (Wollongong), Luke Whitehead (Gold Coast), Luke Schenscher (Adelaide), Russell Hinder (Townsville), Shawn Redhage (Perth) and Glen Saville (Wollongong).
Did Saville play more than just that Tigers game? Didn't think his numbers were that special, but I might've forgotten them. Knight was good in his loss and Ballinger had decent numbers for Adelaide. Rillie, Jones, and Heal were the other stand-outs IMO.

Who would you have picked?

Topic #18941 | Report this topic

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

I did not see the game, but the stats tell me Burston got 17 points, 8 boards, 2 blocks and 2 steals in 30 mins while Ricket got 4 points and 1 rebound.

I would have thought that he would have gotten a nomination for that defensive effort alone, but they seem to just pick the big scorers. Not denying Harvey was not worthy, but Burston this season has been much improved and hardly noticed.

Rillie also shot the lights out, missing one shot all game for 26 points while getting 7 boards, while his opposite Grabeau shot 1-9.....

But i still would have given it to Harvey.... or Ballinger...

Reply #224365 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Rickert just had a shocker and didn't play a whole lot. Behrendorff had possibly his best game this season and Boucher is used a lot in place of Rickert as a defensive presence and hustler too.

That said, I remember someone who saw the game commenting on Burston's decent outing.

Reply #224369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:48 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754